can xiaomi yi be used as web cam?

Reaction score
Country
United States
https://dashcamtalk.com/xiaomi-yi/
i found the above thread which seems like it may be able to serve as a webcam without audio and would like confirmation one way or another if it is possible.

i will be buying an inexpensive action camera soon and would like it to double as a webcam for streaming chess on twitch.tv. i have a headset which will record the audio and it would be nice if the xiaomi yi would also function as a webcam. it seems like others have been successful with using the sj4000 as a webcam so i guess i always have that as my contingency plan even though the subject of this thread appears to be a much better action camera.

thank you for your time.
live long and prosper!

define "webcam". For skype etc? Maybe, but generally no.

anything other than having twitch recognize it as a webcam would be bonus. the goal being an action cam type camera while also being able to use as a webcam on twitch.tv for streaming. if other software(e.g. skype) will recognize it that would be great but not necessary; however it would certainly play a role in which camera i chose.

I have something but it doesn't work. I'll post here if someone wants to figure it out.

#fw 1.2.0-1.2.10
#uvc webcam mode 0x07
writeb 0xC06CE488 0x07

we also have the enable the phone app to enable streaming(or any other way) and the computer will recoginze it as UVC cam. For now if you try to play the stream it doesn't work, there is only some data of the mjpg stream size without the actual stream.

Last edited:
Hey,

for alternative:
you need a HDMI Capture device, which i'm using to grab the Full HD Video.
One is called Elgato Game Capture, I got a used one for hundred bucks. It produces a delay but maybe you can also setup an Audio delay, so its synchron again (i'm using it for DJ streaming)

it will be great if u can use it like web cam with microphone....some of that cameras could it be used like web cams.... like Lamax etc.....

It could be, but practically, you'd be better off with an actual webcam instead. These aren't made to be direct-connect used like that.

Back