Can you adjust the recording time in Parking Mode?

comadose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading a few reviews of this camera. Can you adjust the recording time in Parking Mode?

If someone dings you car you want to get their number plate, but it's no good if it only records for 10 seconds after and they take longer than 10 seconds to drive into view. 10 minutes would be better...

I don't think you can alter the 'impact detection' time, but you can set it to 'motion detection' and it will record all movement. I used this for a while but I found it recorded almost continually, distant traffic, trees in the wind, pedestrians, etc would all activate the camera. I leave mine on 'impact detection;' where I live, if a driver is going to leave the scene of a bump, he'll do it in less than 10 seconds. :cool:

I'm thinking of scenarios where someone dings a door and then goes off. Usually takes them more than 10 seconds to get in, start the car and drive away.

Point taken, you can adjust the sensitivity of 'motion detection' but I found it didn't make much difference. The problem is that you may not notice a small dent and you'll have to trawl through potentially hours of footage when you do. At least with 'impact detection' you'll get a verbal alert on turning on the ignition and the footage will be protected.

How well does the impact detection work?

I'm worried if someone scrapes the paint gently it won't detect it.

Pretty well really, you can set it to detect very slight impacts, parking mode doesn't commence immediately you turn off the engine, so you have time to lock and leave the car before it arms. I guess it's vehicle dependent, you would have to experiment, a strong wind could set it off if you have it too sensitive for your vehicle.

You can't adjust the recording period, but highly likely motion files would be saved as well so you should always check there.

Impact detection is adjustable and can be very sensitive. Closing the vehicle's door can trigger recording easily.

Impact detection is adjustable and can be very sensitive. Closing the vehicle's door can trigger recording easily.

I think it needs to be much more sensitive than that. Closing the door is much more force than required to damage the paint work.

Maybe motion sensing is the best option.

Be realistic though - can anything based on a g-sensor, that's inside the vehicle, trigger recording when something gently scrapes the paint on a vehicle? No.

I've been thinking about this and it seems like a better motion detection system would be the solution.

The simple ones that dashcams use just look for any motion and the record, but that gets confused easily by things like foliage blowing in the wind.

A slightly more advanced system would look for repeating motion and filter it out. It could filter by colour channel too. I'm tempted to experiment with a webcam, but in the end it's probably not worth the effort. Just buy a bigger SD card and live with the false positives. If there is any work to be done it's probably on software to make browsing easier.

One thing that would be useful is to disable paring more in certain locations (via GPS). I don't need it at home, already have CCTV anyway.

Yes, agreed with you there. Some dash cams have radar-based motion detection so that recording is only triggered by movement of actual objects of significance. However, these dash cams lack in other departments such as buffered recording, reliability, etc.

Back