Can you switch U1000 between vehicles?

LaLaLandPaddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Maybe I missed something but can we switch the U1000 between cars?
We have our 'town' car and our 'road' car. The 'road' car sits a lot of the time.
2. Can the rear camera and radar module be switched also? Actually, the rear cam
need't be switched as the 'road' car is a giant truck that pulls the giant caravan
which has its own rear cam. A pity that video feed could't be fed to the U1000.
3. Does anyone think that the rear cam signal is strong enough to make it 14 metres
were I to put it on the back of the caravan?

Thanks

The front is doable and the easiest way is to get another mount, as the front unit can be released from said mount.

The rear and radar modules are one-piece and attached to the windshield using adhesives, so not really feasible to move around.

The rear camera is attached to the front via a cable, so it's not wireless. The standard length is about 7.5 meters, and Thinkware offers a longer 9.5 meter option.

Would it be feasible to splice two cables in order to put a rear cam on the back of the caravan?

You'd just need 2 separate front/rear cables placed in each vehicle, yup.

What signal are you referring to?

The signal from the rear cam to the main unit. I assume the rear cam sends a signal.

It's not wireless, the rear camera is attached to the front via a cable.

I get that but doubling the cable length doubles the resistance
which might be more than the rear cam can overcome. Only
someone at Thinkware would be qualified to answer that.

What is the cable length for this camera ( to the rear )

Most seem to be around 10 M max, but i did notice the optional cable for the A 139 rear camera is actually a massive 18 M long, thats the size of a tractor trailer rig here in Denmark, and i never seen a RV that long.

Also just noticed you say caravan, to me thats something you town and connect / disconnect to your car, making it problematic to trail a wire to the back of it.

HaHa! Du har ikke vært her? Truck is 6,4m og caravan is også 6,4m! Velkommen til Amerika! :)

This is a SMALL caravan here! :LOL: Not uncommon to see 10-11m ones, or bigger!
6418FAD1-CD1D-445B-AADA-6250FE2B1E8E.jpeg

Last edited:
I get that but doubling the cable length doubles the resistance
which might be more than the rear cam can overcome. Only
someone at Thinkware would be qualified to answer that.
I don't think a Rear camera would give a very good image if the cable was doubled in length as you say the resistance would go up a lot and as cameras use such a low voltage i think the picture would degrade. The most we will ever use is the Standard 7.5m cable and we have some 1.5 meter extensions (non Thinkware) we only ever recommend using 1 extension max. There were initially similar issues when Thinkware wanted to make an extension for the Motorbike M1 Cameras it took quite a while before they made one that didn't effect the picture quality.

I would run the U1000 in the front and a separate camera in the rear. Perhaps a F800 Pro or Q800 Pro in the rear.

I would run a wifi CCTV camera of some sort back there, even if it is a small kit by US standards, i simply couldn't be bothered with a wired connection back there.

No my US exposure amount to 6 hour layover in LAX back in 1990, waiting for the plane to Denmark, and really LA like other big cities are not on my dream 6 month tour the US list, that would more be places where i would meet caravan folks.
Even if big cities in other countries do not bother me one bit, i have been within spitting distance of a few million Japanese people, but go shopping in a store in Denmark with 100 people in it, and i get annoyed.

I am certified for driving anything but motorcycle - taxi ( that require a special license in Denmark ) - and bus with more than 9 seats.
But i could drive a tractor trailer filled with explosives, that i am certified for,,,,, or rather was, even more BS have arrived here since then, anyway just got that big license as it was free, and my dream car are a +12 ton APC

I am all on board with the Go big or go home, i was even before that little Texan moved in inside me.

:) caravan is "campingvogn" in Danish / campingwagon directly translated.
also popular among Danes, but rare you see a truck as the pulling unit.

A big caravan like this.
fri-2018-04.jpg

Well you will have to pay around 55.000 USD for it ( no special insides ) and caravans are actually pretty low taxed here VS cars which are insane like buy 1 car pay for 2.

Last edited:
Back