Can you turn OFF a FineVU CR500 when it is hardwired?

d550

Reaction score
Country
United States
After one too many parking hit and runs, I’ve purchased a FineVue CR500HD, and plan to use it for surveillance when I have to park my car in public. I’m not interested in video recording when I’m driving or when it is parked at home in the garage. However, in experimenting with setting it up, I haven’t found a way to turn the camera off when it is connected to a live power source (i.e. hardwired to the fusebox). The manual doesn’t seem to provide any instructions that would apply- is this not possible with the CR500HD?

So far, the only way I can turn it off is to physically unplug the camera, at which point I can power it down, or let it power itself off after some set time period (a couple minutes)? This is pretty inconvenient, as the power cable plugs in quite snuggly, requiring a decent amount of force to unplug- also I’d prefer not to abuse this connection repeatedly over time. And because the camera is positioned in a very tight space behind the rear view mirror on the driver’s side, I have to detach the camera from the mounting bracket in order to get enough room and leverage to unplug to the power cord.

If there isn’t a way to power off the camera when it is hardwired, is there any type of wiring kit that provides an on/off switch, i.e. either:

. an extension cable with a switch that would connect between the power cable plug, and the plug receptacle on the camera itself, or

. a cable kit with a switch that would connect between the 9V receptacle and the fuse box. (Right now I have a 9V receptacle wired straight in).

The first option would be far more convenient, with a switch accessible overhead along the ceiling. With the second option, my fuse box is on the passenger’s side footwell, and it would be much more difficult to access. Also, it seems like it would hard to do a clean install. In any case, I don’t know if either of these types of cable kits even exists.

Any advice would be really appreciated- thanks in advance!

I use the finevu gps kit and it has a built in switch which cuts the power to the camera and gps.

Thanks for your post DHmtbykr. I already gave up and ordered an FG-100 yesterday after my search for a switched DC coax power extension cable proved fruitless. Anything I could find was from some unknown vendor, and would have required plug size adapter fitting hell on both sides. I had really hoped to avoid yet another box up front (camera, radar detector, EZPass) as I have no need for GPS, but my impatience got the better of me. Thanks all the same!

Back