Can you use a different car charger to power this?

S2kyy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I bought this dashcam from CYA last week, just got some time to install it today in my Honda CRV. I am currently using a Quick Charger by Ravpower so I can charge my Samsung. I don't want to use another car charger to power this dash cam if I don't need it. I know this dash cam requires original wires to run everything but does the charger count? I wanna use my quick charger or one of the empty USB slots in the center console.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B075KJ57Q1

That dual-USB charger can deliver enough current to run the A129. I use a similar charger for one of my A129 cameras.

The build in USB in cars are rarely powerful enough to run a dashcam, which in turn making me think they cant be worth much for charging your phones and so either.

So I bought this dashcam from CYA last week, just got some time to install it today in my Honda CRV. I am currently using a Quick Charger by Ravpower so I can charge my Samsung. I don't want to use another car charger to power this dash cam if I don't need it. I know this dash cam requires original wires to run everything but does the charger count? I wanna use my quick charger or one of the empty USB slots in the center console.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B075KJ57Q1
The charger does matter, however you have a pretty good charger there which should be perfectly capable. Probably it will work fine but even some of the best chargers can let the voltage drop a bit, so the only way to find out is to try it.

That charger is a very small device for the amount of power it claims to be able to supply, if your other device is taking a lot of power then you might find that it overheats and then reduces the voltage output to protect itself, in which case the camera may have problems once the charger gets hot. Only way to find out is to try it. If that does happen, the answer may be one of the bigger quick-chargers that is a box with an accessory socket plug on a cable, you can double sided sticky tape it to the dash. I use a box type Orico 12v USB charger which is hardwired direct to the fusebox and located next to the interior light, a short distance from my A129, works fine and much neater than having things plugged into the accessory socket.

Back