[Canada] Truck narrowly avoided rear-end collision

I don't understand the language, but it looked like he was too busy with the conversation to pay attention. He had a clear view of slowing the traffic ahead and should've started slowing down well before the SUV cut in front of him.

KuoH

people jumping in front of trucks accentuates the problem greatly, the silver car that jumped in barely pulled up in time also, good save by the truck driver not to have cleaned him up

He had a clear view of slowing the traffic ahead and should've started slowing down well before the SUV cut in front of him.

I agree, he broke way too late. But it is a hard one to call. The SUV did jump in front of him and slammed on the brakes but still, the truck should have known better and had a crystal clear vision ahead if he were paying attention.

Yes, the SUV driver has some blame to share as well, but the trucker definitely was driving distracted and the amount of damage they can inflict due to the larger mass means they should be driving much more carefully.

KuoH

people jumping in front of trucks accentuates the problem greatly, the silver car that jumped in barely pulled up in time also, good save by the truck driver not to have cleaned him up

if they touched the truck driver would have copped the blame, when you drive a truck no matter how much or how little room you leave you'll get people that jump in front of you because they don't want to get stuck behind you, it's a problem for truck drivers everywhere

You can actually see the brake lights on the black car come on and stay on just as he began to merge, yet the trucker stayed at the same speed or even sped up judging by the red car on the right. The SUV didn't cut in until more than a second later. Had there been an accident and the video was reviewed, I think the trucker would've been found more at fault, but both made poor decisions.

KuoH

I agree, he broke way too late. But it is a hard one to call.

Jeez I wish my car had brakes like that Volvo truck - that's amazing especially seeing as the trailer was loaded with 40 tonnes - I'm guessing it must have brakes on every axle to be able to pull that off?!

All trailers have their own brakes as well, but you can't blindly rely on them working as well as the truck's. While the Volvo definitely has great brakes, if the trailer brakes are worn or fails, the entire rig will jackknife. This is why truckers are supposed to test the trailer brakes prior to setting off.

KuoH

I'm guessing it must have brakes on every axle to be able to pull that off?!

To me this shows two things. 1: How people annoyingly and unknowingly will cut in front of you when you try keep a safety distance. It's nice of them to volunteer as shock absorbers in case of a crash however I never ask for it. ...and 2: Traffic situations WILL change in a matter of seconds, you always have to stay alert!

Such hard emergency breaking will make your cargo shift no matter how hard it has been tied down. Nothing you want to do. Dent stuff = customer complaints.

To me this shows two things. 1: How people annoyingly and unknowingly will cut in front of you when you try keep a safety distance. It's nice of them to volunteer as shock absorbers in case of a crash however I never ask for it. ...and 2: Traffic situations WILL change in a matter of seconds, you always have to stay alert!

Such hard emergency breaking will make your cargo shift no matter how hard it has been tied down. Nothing you want to do. Dent stuff = customer complaints.

Disagree, the trucker isn't keeping a safe distance, or paying attention, 100% the truckers fault if he had hit.
A safe distance is 4~5 seconds, 3seconds for a car.

The truck should drive on first lane.

enjoy,
Mtz

it's a problem for large trucks, the more room they leave themselves, the more people jump in front thinking there's plenty of room still, can't win sometimes

it's a problem for large trucks, the more room they leave themselves, the more people jump in front thinking there's plenty of room still, can't win sometimes

That is the only safe way mate, I drive trucks and leave huge gaps and still easily finish all my deliveries, I do local and country. I used to do the Sydney CBD, when on the M4 in peak hour(0~30kph stuff) I would leave huge gaps at the onramps, instead of 1~2 cars merging in front of me, 5~10 would, that is the only safe way to drive big vehicles if you don't want headache and shifting loads and near misses. Never stopped me from easily finishing my deliveries.

I would not have posted this video if I was this trucker.

I've got a HC license also, know where you're coming from, there needs to be more awareness from car drivers that trucks need the room and it's not an open invitation to duck in

I had one jump in front of me when I was 3 seconds from the lights at 70kph and as the lights went orange from green he stopped, causing me to brake heavily with a full load, when he went to a petrol station I went and tried to give him a free tip (change lanes after the lights dude) but he didn't think he did anything wrong and said there was plenty of space.

yeah car drivers don't get it, in a car I always give trucks plenty of room but I have the advantage of having been there I guess

Disagree, the trucker isn't keeping a safe distance, or paying attention, 100% the truckers fault if he had hit.
A safe distance is 4~5 seconds, 3seconds for a car.

Unfortunately, at least at my location and in urban traffic, the safe distance you want to have is nearly impossible to keep as there's a constant stream of cars cutting in front of you. As professional driver you have to learn to live with this behaviour and keep on driving defensive and leave a gap for ignorant people to use. That's the only way. I completely agree with dashy above.

Back