Cannot decide whether to get the Viofo A129 Pro Duo, B4k+rear or spend more for something like the Blackvue DR900X plus

Dashin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been researching and I cannot decide whether to get the Viofo A129 Pro Duo, B4k+rear or spend more for something like the Blackvue 900x.

I have seen some pros and cons from each of them.

Like for the B4k my issue with it is that the footage can be a bit choppy since it records at 24 FPS when you connect the rear camera. The Blackvue DR900X plus back camera seem to be a little bit worse compared to the Viofo; meanwhile with the Viofo I have not seen any major issue with it.

So any reason to go for one or the other in this case?

Last edited:
I probably should have added that of the three, I think the Viofo is the best value for the money.
Yeah cannot deny that. One question is it possible to mount the Viofo on one of those static cling instead of using adhesives? or is their a mount?

Yeah cannot deny that. One question is it possible to mount the Viofo on one of those static cling instead of using adhesives? or is their a mount?

As far as I know it comes with the static mount but I prefer the security of the adhesive mount myself. ( I have two Viofo A119 V3s which are quite similar) Some people use the static mount for positioning and then migrate to the more permanent adhesive one.

One question is it possible to mount the Viofo on one of those static cling instead of using adhesives?
Normally, Viofo supply a couple of single use static cling sheets in the box that the sticky mount can stick to, for easy and clean removal, plus the camera can be removed from the sticky mount, and extra sticky mounts are available if you have two cars.

Of those three, the Viofo definitely has the best image and sound quality. The Blackvue has some advantages, but few people see benefit from them.

If you have no need for real time (instant) notifications for anything happening to your car while it is parked, Viofo is probably the best choice. Instant notification dashcams will send messages directly to your phone from the cloud.

If you have a need for real-time notifications while your car is parked, Blackvue or Thinkware would be your best choices.

And most everyone agrees that 1440 resolution dashcams are the sweet-spot for dashcams. Not only do 4K cameras consume way more space on your SD cards, they are very sensitive during hot temperatures. If that's an issue for you, be careful. 4K cameras are more apt to overheat. And 4k dashcams don't perform as well in low light conditions (nighttime).

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

If you have no need for real time (instant) notifications for anything happening to your car while it is parked, Viofo is probably the best choice. Instant notification dashcams will send messages directly to your phone from the cloud.

If you have a need for real-time notifications while your car is parked, Blackvue or Thinkware would be your best choices.

And most everyone agrees that 1440 resolution dashcams are the sweet-spot for dashcams. Not only do 4K cameras consume way more space on your SD cards, they are very sensitive during hot temperatures. If that's an issue for you, be careful. 4K cameras are more apt to overheat. And 4k dashcams don't perform as well in low light conditions (nighttime).

If that is the case on 1440p being the sweet spot, should I still go for the Viofo or is their a better choice?

It all depends on whether you want instant notifications for stuff happening to your car while it's parked.

If instant notifications are not important, go with a 1440 Viofo camera. I am fairly certain that the A129 Duo Plus is a 1440 camera... with no instant notifications. On the other hand, if instant notifications are important, consider the Blackvue or Thinkware.

The a119 v3 that you hear people mention is one of the best cameras out, however I think that is just a single view camera... and as it is a Viofo camera, there are no instant notifications.

Hope this helps some.

If that is the case on 1440p being the sweet spot, should I still go for the Viofo or is their a better choice?
It depends on what you will be using it for. For road movies I would go for the 4K Viofo, for purely accident footage for evidence purposes then a 1440p camera will on average do better. The Viofo A139 is an excellent choice, in either 2 or 3 channel format. The Viofo A119 mentioned above is single channel only, but cheaper, and there is an A129 Plus which sits in the middle with 2 channels.

For image quality, Viofo normally wins, but if other factors are important then there are other choices. Blueskysea's B4K is a nice camera, and cheap for a 4K camera, but it doesn't win on image quality or for evidence detail against the competing Viofo; for a genuine 4K camera (as opposed to a fake 4K camera) it does win on price.

Hi im new to all this and have been looking for a dual cam . Got a nextbase 522 bundle from halfords and after 3 months i got it removed cos of freezing and i was looking at all these camers mentioned. Our car sits on main st 9-5 and was looking cameras because we just got new jeep after last car was hit and run . Thought I'd get a dash cam if it happened again . But after sending nextbase back i found out it only recorded after car was hit but i would like 1 that records before the incident . What's putting me off blackvue is the talking . Can anyone please send me in the right direction . I just need a cam that will take footage of before and after . Thank you

All dashcams record all the time.
A trigger like G- sensor can save events, with some of the footage from before - during and after, but how much is saved depend on the brand / model.
Personally i do not use G-sensor as potholes ASO can create false events, so when something happen i want to save i just press the manual event button, and then i use plenty large memory cards so even is something are outside the event saved / locked away, with my driving it will be weeks before that unlocked parts before / after a event will get deleted.

It sound like you like to have parking guard too, in that case you for sure need a plenty large memory card.

I do use G sensor when i use parking guard, but primarily i use low bitrate which record all the time, the G-sensor are just on too to save actual events / act like a beacon for a event.
Low bitrate as it record all the time it will also capture everything, and for instance keying vandalism will probably not trigger the G-sensor in a dashcam, but the always recording ( low bitrate ) will, just the downside is there are nothing locked, so when that parking guard are the oldest footage on the memory card it will also get deleted, so you have to detect little scratches yourself before the recording is deleted.

And of course using parking guard for long time, you also have to drive enough every day to replenish what was lost while parked, so you can not do parking guard for 23.5 hours every day and then just drive 30 minutes daily.

I personally at home have a CCTV camera on my car parked in the back yard behind the block of flats i live in, camera is on my 2 floor balcony door aimed at car parked 15 - 20 M or so away.

When i had the nextbase i had a 128 card and formatted every sat morning. I didnt need to search for events because if car not damaged then no point looking . I only need it for park mode with g sensor to low so it would only records bumps and impacts . But nextbase was a nightmare for freezing. Never again.

When i had the nextbase i had a 128 card and formatted every sat morning. I didnt need to search for events because if car not damaged then no point looking . I only need it for park mode with g sensor to low so it would only records bumps and impacts . But nextbase was a nightmare for freezing. Never again.
I had the 522GW as well. Lasted a week or so.

My never again isn't due to the freezing. It's due to the fact I would've been better recording using an old digital camera from the early 2000s. The image quality was abysmal. I've no idea why it keeps getting mentioned in these 'best dash cam' articles. I can only assume that Nextbase employees are writing them and are on commision.

I got a VIOFO A119v3 (which I STILL need to hardwire in lol) and the image quality it just night & day with the Nextbase. It's no contest at all. Only downside to the 119 is it's 1CH.

From the example footage I saw, it's better than the A129 series in number plate detection so you could run 2x A119v3s but me personally, I'd rather 1 unit do front & rear so it's a bit of a PITA.

It's been some time since I saw the example footage but IIRC (and I may not), of the 3 A129 series, the top one wasn't the best for number plate detection. I think it was the middle priced one but again, don't quote me on that.

It's been a while and maybe firmware updates could've changed that, I don't know. Nigel is one of the top guys for that answer & it might've even been him who did the example footage.

Learned this the hard way with my A129 Pro, just wanted the best image quality but didnt realise id be sacrificing the reliability. Having that running during the summer especially with parking mode became extremely unreliable and even killed the speaker in one unit(stellar customer service from viofo was given a new camera free of charge) 1440p would be better and after being unexpectedly gifted a Nextbase 522GW I used the oppurtunity to move my A129 pro to the rear windscreen (nextbase has worse video quality but has been surprisingly more reliable)

It's not to hot in Northern Ireland so i shouldn't have that problem . Hope you don't have the freezing problems I've had with the 522gw but then mine was front and rear .. people have been saying the viofo a119 v3 was a great camera and better than the a129 , would 2 119s work front and rear. Or would it be to hard on battery to have 2 cameras working on parking mode .

It's not to hot in Northern Ireland so i shouldn't have that problem . Hope you don't have the freezing problems I've had with the 522gw but then mine was front and rear .. people have been saying the viofo a119 v3 was a great camera and better than the a129 , would 2 119s work front and rear. Or would it be to hard on battery to have 2 cameras working on parking mode .
Funny enough im here in Northern Ireland too, I didnt think heat would be an issue but they battered the viofo. Mines a front only so i suspect thats a reason it doesnt freeze. The only issues i can think of when hardwiring 2 a119s is the length of cable and parking mode time.

I think this is very helpful from DashCamTalk. Seems to give a good comparison of each dashcam on the market.

Back