Cannot enter MENU?

castle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
When I plug the unit to USB, the <REC light comes on and the camera logo shows on the screen. When I hit the Menu button, I cannot get into the Menu screen like I used to. I have pressed <REC, but it only toggles between beeping and no-beeping. Still cannot go to the menu screen.

The only work-around is to remove the memory card first. Then when I press the Menu button, I can see the menu, but as soon as I insert the memory, for example to format it, the above problem returns. I have reset the unit, but same problem.

Any advice? Thanks.

You need to stop the recording before you can enter the menu. Once the camera starts, press the REC button (yes it will beep) to stop the recording, then press the menu button to access the settings. Pressing the Menu button while recording will take a picture.

OK, I feel so stupid.

I know I have done that, and I have had this unit for a year so I know how to use it. But I followed your instruction and it worked! What can I say, but thanks!!!

The only work-around is to remove the memory card first. Then when I press the Menu button, I can see the menu, but as soon as I insert the memory, for example to format it, the above problem returns. I have reset the unit, but same problem.

Any advice? Thanks.
sure.
advice #1: never ever-ever insert or remove SD card if the camera already powered or powering up, it can damage the card.
advice #2: when / if the camera is up and recording (short) press REC button, then press a Menu (you may need to press the Menu more than once).
you got lucky! because I just started preparing more advises for you!
smile3.gif

Did you mean, always have memory card in before turning on? Is that true for other cameras and devices also? Thanks.

Either start up without a card for basic setting, or have card inserted for usage or setting. You must NEVER put card in when dash cam is powered up if you want to protect your card from possible damage.

Did you mean, always have memory card in before turning on? Is that true for other cameras and devices also? Thanks.
no. like @Tractor said you can power up the camera without the card - to adjust the settings in a Menu or to adjust the camera position / mount. I have a Screen Saver set to 3sec but if I power up the camera without the card the screen stays On until I turn the camera off (to insert the card).
your camera may be in 3 states: On (recording), Off (not recording) and booting up (loading the firmware). while the camera is On or booting up you should never remove or insert the card. turn the camera off than remove or insert it.

Got it. Thank you borik and Tractor. I am sure I have done it wrong a few times, even before today. I am still on my first card, a Lexar 633x, bought a year ago.

Got it. Thank you borik and Tractor. I am sure I have done it wrong a few times, even before today. I am still on my first card, a Lexar 633x, bought a year ago.
aha. then one more advice to you as I am a Lexar 633x 128gb (&200gb) cards user: Lexar SD cards at some point (usually after 5-6 "corrupted" files) go in to a "read only" mode (get locked to safe your footage) and the only one thing if that happens you can do - contact Lexar support and "highly likely" they will replace a card for you, takes about 3 weeks. so when you have a chance get a spare card and stay away from Lexar 633x and Samsung Evo (red 128gb) cards. I returned all 4 Samsung sd cards to Amazon within 2-3 months of purchase, but Lexar has a different contract with Amazon and once you purchased the card (on Amazon) after a month you have to deal with Lexar support directly if you get a locked card.

What card do you recommend? I know these cards have limited cycles, so I got a back-up, but fortunately haven't had to use it. It's also a Lexar, but called Lexar High Endurance (64 GB).

What card do you recommend? I know these cards have limited cycles, so I got a back-up, but fortunately haven't had to use it. It's also a Lexar, but called Lexar High Endurance (64 GB).
my personal choice is 64gb Transcend Ultimate, I use 2 of them and didn't have a single problem with them.
sd card life cycles? I bet one day you replace your SD cards not because they are bad but because a bigger capacity cards are available and affordable. even today you can get 512gb sd card. I don't think it's supported in a firmware yet but some day it will be.
128gb capacity is good but 256gb is better because it's bigger
smile3.gif
(in a capacity).
@viofo said they tested and recommend Sandisk Ultra A1 cards. I have nothing to say about it because I don't have one.

I've been waiting for the Transcend High Endurance card to drop in price, Right now the 64 GB is around $50. Maybe there'll be a sale around the holidays.

I use a Sandisk Ultra MicroSDXC UHS-I 64 GB brought from a known reputable dealer. You must be careful not be fooled by a fake as there are many different brand copies out there.

I've been waiting for the Transcend High Endurance card to drop in price, Right now the 64 GB is around $50. Maybe there'll be a sale around the holidays.
you can get 64gb MLC SD card (the same as Transcend Ultimate 64gb MLC, on Amazon for $87) from @Viofo for just $33. and MLC based SD cards are a way more reliable than any regular class 10 cards.

Amazon now has a sale on this Sandisk 128 GB card for $24. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B073JYC4XM. It says Sandisk Ultra Micro SDXC UHS-1 - 100 MB/s U1 A1. Is that one of the ones recommended? I don't think it's MLC.

Amazon now has a sale on this Sandisk 128 GB card for $24. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B073JYC4XM. It says Sandisk Ultra Micro SDXC UHS-1 - 100 MB/s U1 A1. Is that one of the ones recommended? I don't think it's MLC.
Yes, that is a compatible card and a good price. I bought another one of the 256GB A1 cards when the price dropped to $53 about a month ago. They have been very reliable so far.

Thanks everyone for your guidance. Yes, that card on sale is A1 version and sold by Amazon, not a third party.

@borik What does MLC mean, is it on the card or where can people get information, the way you say it seems to say how it is made?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J A119 6
A A119 3
mealto A119 13
K A119 6
K A119 9
Back