Cannot find a discreet front and waterproof rear cameras with separate screen

johnnyinamoto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

When I first started my search a week ago, I didn't think my list of necessities was too much. I am now ready to jump off a bridge.

What I want is a discreet front facing cam that I don't need to move. It just stays there being invisible. I don't really want a screen on that.

I need a rear cam. I'd like that to double as a reversing camera. I have an Audi A6, which is a massive saloon, so it wouldn't be much help inside the car, so I need the camera to be small and waterproof so I can place it above the numberplate.

Screen wise, I would prefer a live stream to my phone. Mainly for when I'm parking. But I would accept a separate screen as I'm starting to get desperate.

I've found discreet front cameras, I've found waterproof rear cameras, and I've found cams with seperate screens or wifi streaming. I just haven't found one pack with them all in. Is it really that much to ask?

I'm not great with cars, so I dunno if I could plumb it into the Audi's MMI screen, but I could try. I've got a 2010 model.

Please let me know if what I'm asking is possible. Thanks

The wifi enabled cameras have about a 1 second lag on the live view footage, so for reversing you will be far better off with a true reversing camera.

Dashcams with 2 remote cameras on wires will be here "soon" at least one of them, but neither of the cameras will be waterproof, but i think it might be a option the maker are looking to do later on.
They do have a wateroroof for their old 1 remote camera SGZC12RC.
Also the upcoming SG9663DC ( see its own subforum ) should get a option for a waterproof rear camera, but not from day 1 as i understand it.

Discreetness do depend on what kind of options you have on the windscreen, as you might know many new cars have a huge part of the real estate in front of the rear view mirror taken up by all kind of stupid sensors.
But if you have a clear windscreen in that regard, maybe even spiced up with a dotted area in front of the rear view mirror, then the wedge shaped cameras can blend in really good with 2/3 of the footprint "hidden" by the dotted area and just the lower lens part peeking out below the dots.

Nice. Thanks for the writeup Kamkar.

Looks like I'll have to look at other options then

Also remember with outside cameras they are exposed to dirt just like your other windows, but at least on the windscreen you have wipers that you have to forgo with a outside mounted camera.
I am fortunate my little Suzuki car also have a rear viper that clear all the way up to the middle top of the window where my camera are installed.

For the most one front camera will be fine for most claims against you, so that guy coming up from behind and hitting you as the idiot are on facetwitt, but then blame you for changing lanes in front of him, that your front camera will have no problem dis proofing as its footage will see you steady in your lane right up until the guy hit you.

But if you like to capture and expose all the fools out there, then yes 2 or even more cameras are a good way to go.

I ATM have 6 cameras in my car, 3 of them on the windscreen, but really it is just the one camera there i put my faith on, the remainder are just there as me being a tester for a couple of brands of dashcameras.

And dashcams make lousy reversing cameras, a dedicated one of those and a 5 - 7 " LCD screen can be found on ebay and other places for little money.
I would like a reversing camera myself as i have a 2DIN headunit with a 7" LCD screen, but i have not yet gotten around to pulling the trigger on that.

Yeah its a old one with several analog in and outputs to it, i am planning on upgrading to a android unit down the road but that's still the same i think.

Ok check our website and have a look which reverse camera is the style you need, maybe SG89U, it's the most common fitting for most cars

Its the same headunit i used with the old 4 channel analog DVR, wayyy back then.
The headunit automatic change to that input when it became live, so i had to change back and forth to listen to radio or MP3, that would be even more painfull now that the touch scren have died.

Then again its not really often i listen to music in the car, dont even have the radio antanna on the roof any more.

I will be joining wash world soon, for a prize of 70 DKkr every month i can wash my car as often as i like ( the small wash cycle )

Not that i average 1 car wash every month as it is, but for 70 Dkkr i think i can make it once every week at least, and their washing place is on route to my friend as you exit Randers to the south.

If it has a reverse camera input it will auto switch that on and off as appropriate and won't interfere with other functions

I think i will have to drill the rear hatch for a reversing camera, going down lower on the plastic bumper will still need drilling and in more hard to reach places.

2146880398_2.jpg

I think i will have to remove the Suzuki S in the middle of the hatch and put the camera there, not sure if it can fit below the lisenceplate, will have to do some measurements.

Yeah it dident interfear, radio or whatever audio was still going in the background and i can use the few buttons or silly remote to adjust volume, just the LCD screen that changed over to the DVR back then, and then stay as the DVR was allays on until i changed back to the headunit menus to do any changes there.
But that dosent matter nowadays and i will not be able to upgrade to a android headunit anytime soon.

I an not quite sure if the headunit will power uo if off when it detect a signal on that RCA AV input, i dont think that was the case, so will have to turn on headunit and doing that it default to Mp3 play from SD card, and then change to AV in if it sense a signal there, and that will go avay again as i change out of reverse gear.

So everything should still work just fine.

Last edited:
Where the Suzuki logo are appear to be plastic, most likely with metal below it, but i will just drill whatever get in my way.

I could also put a camera inside at the top of the rear window, but that's prime real-estate i would prefer to use for dashcams.
If i was to place more there i will be having 3 cameras beside each-other soon :cautious:

Sg89FM or SG89FP would be ideal i think, the 89FP probably most suited so it could be aimed downwards a little as i am not sure the part with the suzuki logo are 100% vertical

Last edited:
I think i will have to drill the rear hatch for a reversing camera, going down lower on the plastic bumper will still need drilling and in more hard to reach places.

2146880398_2.jpg

I think i will have to remove the Suzuki S in the middle of the hatch and put the camera there, not sure if it can fit below the lisenceplate, will have to do some measurements.
Can you run it through the hole for the number plate lamps, and then mount it hiding the EU flag :D

Back