Cannot send videos via iMessage or SMS downloaded from BluSkySea B1w

JBucks

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
BluSkySea B1W
Recently got a BlueSkySea B1W dash cam, and am having trouble trying to send videos to people via iMessage or SMS once they are downloaded to my phone.

The message just sits there trying to send, then eventually comes back with a message send failure.
iPhone 8
I can send other videos
I've tried trimming the video down to 1 second in length (22mb)
Tried over wifi and Cellular 4G network
Google photos also cannot send the videos, comes up with "something went wrong" straight away without even attempting to send

Does anyone else have the same problem or any idea on how to fix ?

After some more testing, i'm convinced its the compression or whatever the dash cam does to the videos that is preventing the iPhone from compressing it to send.
If I create a new email, attach a video, I get a progress bar "Compressing video" then I can send the email
If I do the same, but try to attach a video from the dash cam, it just sits there with no message or progress bar. This lines up with trying to send it via text or MMS where it just sits there sending for like 20 minutes then says failed.
What I would really like to know is if anyone else with this dash cam has the same problem.

Could this be something to do with the dashcams 50Hz / 60Hz setting ? (I really don't know what this is)

instead of trimming the video make a video that is only a few seconds long and see if you can send that, expect that file sizes are the underlying issue

Ill give that a shot, but iMessage can send huge video files. I've sent something over 3 minutes long before. Also doesn't explain being unable to send a 1 second trimmed video (saved as a new clip) that is 22mb
Also the smallest video size I can create without trimming is 1 minute as per the B1W settings.

Does anyone else with the B1W have the same problem, or can successfully send videos via iMessage on an iPhone ?

video length and video size are two different things, particularly if it's something that is shot on the phone

1 minute of video on your camera is what, about 80 to 90mb, a trimmed video that is 1 second long and is 22mb doesn't add up

Yes, I understand that.
Apologies, the clip I trimmed was down to 14 seconds and 22mb.

I have three clips on my phone:
3:01 - 281mb (Un-Trimmed, straight from dashcam)
0:20 - 31mb
0:14 - 22mb

I'm absolutely positive it is something to do with the compression the dash cam puts on the videos, that the iPhone is not liking when trying to compress again for message sending. Even if I try to send the video from Google photos, a message is displayed straight away when it tries to compress it - "Ooops, something went wrong"

The main thing I want to hear is that this works successfully for someone else with this dashcam, or am I trying to find a fix for something that is un-fixable

why compress it, upload it to file host and share the link

are the short videos ones you recorded at that length, or ones that you trimmed?

I'm not trying to compress it, I just believe that is what the iPhone is trying to do (and failing) before sending via iMessage or SMS.

I simply want to download a video from the cam and send via iMessage or SMS. I've never come across a video that gets saved into your iPhone camera roll that could not be sent this way.

I can imagine a scenario where at the scene of an incident you would want to send the vision to other people involved. Download from cam, send to their phone. I thought that would be pretty simple. but it seems not.

The short videos are ones I trimmed using the default iPhone camera software in an attempt to see if the problem had anything to do with file size

try recording a short file rather than trimming it, if it sends ok the problem is with the way the camera software trims it and the larger files are likely just a size issue

if you want to share video on the spot then there's a good chance that the files are going to be large anyway so using a file host and uploading there and providing a link is probably still going to be a better option

Ok, I will change the camera setting to save the shortest clips possible (1 minute - roughly 93mb) and try to send that. I will also try to send a video of the same length and size that came from another source such as a video recorded with the iPhone. I feel I know what the outcome will be already.

I do not agree that the issue is with the trimming, as it is a native iPhone app and I have never ever had a problem with it before.

As I said, I would really like to know if other users of this dashcam have the same problem.

record a short 5 second video with the camera and see if you can send that also, don't trim it, just create a small file so there's no editing involved, 93mb may still be too large for files that are not created on the iPhone, they will have some sort of size limitation in there for practical purposes, a few different tests will help you to work out what the limit is

I just recorded a 4 second video (6.5mb), downloaded to my phone, tried to send in an iMessage and same problem.

I just recorded a 4 second video (6.5mb), downloaded to my phone, tried to send in an iMessage and same problem.

then the phone must be trying to compress regardless (makes sense to do that from their perspective), guess iMessage is not the answer for what you need then

Yes, that’s what I assumed from the start.
Question is, why can’t it compress or do what it needs to do with videos recorded from this dash cam?

And I hope someone else who has this cam can confirm the same issue

It's probably not so much that the files are from your dash camera, just that they're not files created by the phone, Apple do things their way and expect others to meet their particular requirements

That’s probably true. However given BlueSkySea have created an iPhone app to download the videos, I would expect the videos are in the format that complies with Apples guidelines.

Still would love to hear from any other users to confirm it does not work

That’s probably true. However given BlueSkySea have created an iPhone app to download the videos, I would expect the videos are in the format that complies with Apples guidelines.

there would be no expectation that files must comply to the same format that Apple use for their own recordings, Apple rules are about what an app can and can't do, permissions etc

Still would love to hear from any other users to confirm it does not work

I would reasonably expect that they will have the same results that you have

What’s the point of having an iPhone app that can download videos if you can’t send them?
Apart from just viewing them (which you can do when connected to the cam anyway)

I think something isn’t quite right, and I’m surprised I can’t find any other complaints about this on this or any other forum

What’s the point of having an iPhone app that can download videos if you can’t send them?
Apart from just viewing them (which you can do when connected to the cam anyway)
nothing stopping you uploading the files, just not the method you were hoping for, I don't think that makes it useless, Apple are very restrictive, nature of the beast sadly

I am sure it is ok to share a short video(6.6Mb) via Facebook/Twitter/email etc.

I am sure it is ok to share a short video(6.6Mb) via Facebook/Twitter/email etc.
Haven’t tried Facebook / Twitter, but emailing has the same problem

*edit: Can’t upload to Twitter either

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
facklere B1W 1
4 B1W 2
F B1W 6
S B1W 10
M B1W 4
Back