Cannot update loader

jimbobbrown

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I still have firmware 1.1 ... the upgrade instructions say that it is necessary to FIRST update the loader. It simply WILL NOT. I have tried various combinations of plugging in and unplugging, copying and deleting, this and that ... the instructions, as provided by VIOFO, do not work and I never get to a screen indicating the camera is now in "mass storage" mode in order to then proceed with the firmware update.

Had anyone managed to successfully update the loader, not just update firmware? If you have then maybe you can enlighten on how you managed to get it to work.

Use a 32GB or less memory card (or at least FAT32 formatted), format the card, check that it is FAT32 format, put the loader file in the root folder, put the card into the camera, plug the camera into power (either car adaptor/hwk or mains charger, don't use any other power source), wait for 10 minutes (very excessive but I don't know the correct time.)

That should be all that is needed. You can then repeat with the firmware file.

You should also succeed if you exactly follow Viofo's instructions, but maybe you are not understanding them exactly.

The loader is updated for 3 sec. there will be no LED flashes. After the bootloader, you need to install the firmware.

The loader is updated for 3 sec. there will be no LED flashes. After the bootloader, you need to install the firmware.
That is the normal time, but if it is not working then it is worth trying with considerably longer, certainly for firmware I have seen it take several minutes for unexplained reasons, but with a firmware you know when it is finished so can always just wait.

The firmware takes 45-48 seconds. The bootloader can wait 20 seconds or 60 seconds, that's okay!:)

I'm going through your problems as well with a new (used) A119 v2. One thing that caused a problem with updating my 3 or more year old A119 was the length of the USB cord.
The one that came with the camera was quite long, using one about 3 feet got things working right. I can't imagine why length is a problem, it seems to be.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
castle A119 25
A A119 3
mealto A119 13
K A119 6
K A119 9
Back