Can't block car's native collision prevention cameras

cantblockeyesight

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi people-who-know-more-me, thanks in advance. I've been hunting for dashcams and can't figure out what to get. Some look too hard to install, others too bulky or unreliable. I am looking for a dashcam that

1) won't block the car's existing cameras that are there for collision prevention warnings. Those cameras are to the left and the right of the rear view mirror. I'm not allowed to have anything touch the windshield. The manual also warms about having something even reflected off the windshield that may bother the camera. I'm thinking something that attaches totally on the back of the rear view mirror would be my best bet?

2) Would work in the temperature ranges of upstate New York. Think maybe -10 degrees on a bad day and however hot cars get when it's 100 degrees out? (180?). If the upper temperature is a problem, I can always take it out if it's fairly plug and playable

3) turns itself on and off based on ignition. I think my car's usb and lighter outlets both turn off when the ignition is totally off so that should help.

4) Has good night vision

5) automatically self looping

6) decent night vision

7) easy plug and play. Preferably no need for a mechanic or hooking up grounding wires, etc.

8) anything else basic that I can't think of?

Anyone have experience with the Papago with the clip mount? I saw others on here that looked even smaller and mounted totally behind the rear view mirror. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• outback15-eyesight1.jpg
    outback15-eyesight1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 27
The X1 might be a good fit. (see my signature) Requires some installation though to run the wire down the A-pillar if you want it out of site. (or else just use stick clips)

Thanks for the quick reply! I was just on your website. I also just read your many positive comments on this forum about the transcend and the panorama G - seems to be a couple of the best out there. Any reason to not recommend those 2 in my situation? I don't mind hiding wires but nothing requiring electrical work (some people were talking about wiring things up to their car batteries). I'm afraid I will be soon dead if I tried and will have a video to prove it.

The Panorama G is by far the most friendly dashcam out there. Highly Recommended.
It's discreet as well when installed correctly

nBhFP47.jpg

Is there a reason in NY (legal or otherwise) that it has to be discreet? I'm just looking for evidence backup in case of an accident. Thanks,

Is there a reason in NY (legal or otherwise) that it has to be discreet? I'm just looking for evidence backup in case of an accident. Thanks,

If you park on a busy city street, it's always best to keep things as discreet as possible. (smash and grab etc) The G can be blended away behind the mirror as well as you can see above. (black on black from outside)

Thanks - and will I still be able to see the screen when mounted behind the rearview camera? that was the plus behind the wifi of the transcend since I think my mount will block many screens.

Thanks - and will I still be able to see the screen when mounted behind the rearview camera? that was the plus behind the wifi of the transcend since I think my mount will block many screens.

Option 1) you twist move the mirror out of the way to make adjustments on the G as needed. You should rarely have to touch it once setup. If you need to do anything you can always slide it off the T-Bracket peg and hold it in your hand.

Option 2) you leave it hang lower (if you don't mind it visible) The advantage of this is you can spin the camera facing inside the car, or out towards the window at an officer etc.

You rarely need to touch the camera once it turns into a set it and forget it DVR appliance The only thing you might want to touch is the emergency button to hold a clip of something you want saved/locked away. You can easily find it from feel alone though. It's the largest middle button.

great. Can GPS be programmed to not record at all. I don't want GPS or speed to be recorded ever. Stripping the info out afterwards may be viewed as destroying evidence if it ever came up to be subpoenaed. Better never to record it at all.

Okay - I'm about to buy the S on your amazon store. It seems like it includes everything I need to get started. Do these Panoramas (including the S) have a way of turning off the audio recording so it never records to begin with (not delete afterwards).

And, not just muted, but not record audio in the first place? I can also just put a piece of tape over the mic if need be.

Thanks just bought Panorama 2 from your amazon storefront with a transcend 64 gb card. When I get it I may need your help to get it mounted correctly directly to the back of the rearview mirror since I can't touch the windshield. Thanks for all your help. Your great customer service was the deciding factor!

Thanks just bought Panorama 2 from your amazon storefront with a transcend 64 gb card. When I get it I may need your help to get it mounted correctly directly to the back of the rearview mirror since I can't touch the windshield. Thanks for all your help. Your great customer service was the deciding factor!

Happy to help. I've yet to see anyone mount it directly to the mirror instead of the window so this will be a first. You might want to add the 3rd party ball socket mount for more flexibility.

I didn't realize I'd be the guinea pig. Given my original post, and your answer, I thought this was an established mount. There may be some jiggling then? Well, I can't use the ball mount. Because of not blocking eyesight I can *only* attach it to the rear view mirror. I know others out there may feel comfortable going against the eyesight manufacturer recommendations, but I don't.

I think I know where to get a sample u-bracket Panorama S style mount you can attach around the stem of a standard size rearview mirror. I'll followup after some research. I'm pretty sure I've seen a T-bracket mirror mount for the Panorama G as well.

Back