Can't connect via wifi

rh71

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just bought the B1W from Amazon and inserted a new, newly FAT32-formatted 32GB Kingston class 10 micro SD card. Instructions say formatting with Windows is fine for 32GB rather than the special software to format. I try to connect via my Samsung S8+ wifi and it finds the SSID B1W_58b3fc9440dd (no other similar to it). Use the default 1234567890 password and it tries to connect but then says "Internet may not be available" which is the same msg I get from any wifi when the connection fails. I read in the manual that it may only work with the car cigarette adapter but it also fails there. I try an ipad to connect and it fails the same way. I try a Samsung S7 and same failure. I put the Samsung phones on airplane mode other than wifi so it's not trying to switch off wifi onto a 4g data connection. Ipad has no 4G data so it's not disconnecting from wifi there but also fails.

I've formatted and tried putting the password reset firmware on the SD card and the same thing happens with the wifi failure to connect. I format and try the latest upgrade firmware and the same thing happens.

The recording works fine (mp4 files seen on SD card). Just need to get into setup for proper configuration before I start using it.

Use the default 1234567890 password and it tries to connect but then says "Internet may not be available" which is the same msg I get from any wifi when the connection fails

PM you this reset firmware, and also suggest that you uninstall its APP from your S8 phone and re-install again!

Regards,
Vicky

I did the reset firmware successfully and wifi on my phone still said "Internet may not be available" after trying to connect to the B1W, but it appears I can still use the B1W software to click connect after this and it still works to go into its settings. Just a little confusing because it's not a typical wifi successful connection. Thanks.

I did the reset firmware successfully and wifi on my phone still said "Internet may not be available" after trying to connect to the B1W, but it appears I can still use the B1W software to click connect after this and it still works to go into its settings
The B1W Wi-Fi SSID cannot access the internet!

Again, tip for you:
Why this camera wouldn't stay connected to my phone?

For some Android phone models (like Google Pixel 2 and SAMSUNG), if the mobile data(LTE) and Wi-Fi are enabled at the same time, the phone will switch to mobile data mode automatically since the B1W Wi-Fi SSID cannot access to the internet. This will break the Wi-Fi connection between the camera and the smartphone.
1. For example, SAMSUNG users: go to Settings — WLAN —Advanced, switch off the “Automatic Data Switch” option, or simply switch off the mobile data usage.
2. If a proxy setting is applied to the Wi-Fi setting, the connection may also fail. Tap the SSID of the camera and go to Advanced — Proxy Settings, select “none” and save the Wi-Fi connection.
3. Switch off then switch on the Wi-Fi option to try again.
4. Quit the app (also kill the background process of the app) and reopen the app.

I have OnePlus 6 phone running Android Pie and the app cannot connect via WiFi to the cam (spinning wheel of death on connecting)

Thoughts?

I have OnePlus 6 phone running Android Pie and the app cannot connect via WiFi to the cam (spinning wheel of death on connecting)

Thoughts?
Could you mind to tell me more details about how you do WiFi connection with your phone?
You should input password and connected camera WiFi in your phone WLAN setting first, and then open the APP to sync live video!

Could you mind to tell me more details about how you do WiFi connection with your phone?
You should input password and connected camera WiFi in your phone WLAN setting first, and then open the APP to sync live video!

Here are the steps to reproduce issue on the OnePlus 6 with Android Pie:

1. Check if WiFi is on
2. Select B1W access point on the WiFi menu to connect
3. Type in the password
4. Connect to the camera's WiFi
5. Run the app
6. In the app click on the "Click to connect" button
7. The app will stuck on spinning wheel of dots saying "Connecting"

1. Check if WiFi is on
3. Type in the password
5. Run the app
Turn off your Cellular data connection before opening the app.

Wow, that is lame but I will try that.
yes it's lame but unfortunately it's something that Android still haven't got right, the phone expects that any wifi you connect to will provide internet access, when it doesn't it falls back to a cellular connection for data transfer rather than allowing access to a wifi device to interact with it while still allowing cellular data for other data needs, iOS has only recently got this sorted, they'll get their eventually I guess, the rise of IoT devices will make this more of an issue I'm sure

1. Check if WiFi is on
3. Type in the password
5. Run the app
If you test this camera in your home, please forget your home router WiFi in your phone WLAN also!

yes it's lame but unfortunately it's something that Android still haven't got right, the phone expects that any wifi you connect to will provide internet access, when it doesn't it falls back to a cellular connection for data transfer rather than allowing access to a wifi device to interact with it while still allowing cellular data for other data needs, iOS has only recently got this sorted, they'll get their eventually I guess, the rise of IoT devices will make this more of an issue I'm sure

I thought it was handled by Android N but apparently is not - is pining Google servers and then switching to the cellular data connection :\

I thought it was handled by Android N but apparently is not - is pining Google servers and then switching to the cellular data connection :\

some handsets seem to handle it ok, certainly something that still needs improving in a lot of Android handsets though

If cellular data is enabled, when I connect to the B1W wifi, I get a notification that internet is not acessible. On the notificatio, If I just select "ignore" I am able to connect to the camera without disabling cellular data. It might help...

If cellular data is enabled, when I connect to the B1W wifi, I get a notification that internet is not acessible. On the notificatio, If I just select "ignore" I am able to connect to the camera without disabling cellular data. It might help...

Right, this was the reason I started this thread in the first place. The confusion is that my phone stated internet may not be available and that led me to think the wifi didn't connect to the camera at all because that's the message you usually get when wifi connections fail. So after it gives you the "internet may not be available" message, use the B1W app from that point and theoretically it should connect fine still. Take note, on my Samsung S8+ phone, it didn't automatically switch me to my 4G connection (it was on).

Back