Can't decide

DashingUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year

After a little advice if anyone could spare their thoughts

Currently running a möbius lens B, have done for three years.

Looking at another möbius or possibly joovuu x

I can't make up my mind about the möbius 2, I'm
Sure I read somewhere that you can't click to save/lock current recording segment, but can't find the thread to confirm this? This is definitely a must for me

Also, mine can run a little hot in summer (sun through windscreen), so used to direct a vent towards heat sinks. This has now changed with the new model, has anyone had issues with it overheating being in direct sunlight?

It's kind of annoying that the buttons are going to be on the wrong side when mounted too but guess that's not a biggy

Anyway guess the question is go for a m2 or m1 with latest lens (though I've not discovered difference between the c2 lens and d yet). As long as m2 is reliable im happy to run with it and upgrade FW as and when.

Or do I go for something different like joovuu x?

I'll be buying an M2 soon, but it needs further development to be my primary cam. I feel sure that it will become better overall than the M1 but right now it isn't. As long as you're OK with where it's at right now buying the M2 might be a good choice so you're not waiting for an order to arrive when firmware is updated and it begins to meet the expectations we have for it. If that's not good enough then you cant really go very wrong with the M1. The JooVoo is a good cam as long as you use the smartphone app with it but it's also more costly. It too has room for more development but it's much farther along right now so the improvements will probably be smaller. You decide if it's worth the extra expense ;) Not much else worth considering in this form-factor and size for use as a dashcam and more's the pity :(

Phil

I'll be buying an M2 soon, but it needs further development to be my primary cam. I feel sure that it will become better overall than the M1 but right now it isn't. As long as you're OK with where it's at right now buying the M2 might be a good choice so you're not waiting for an order to arrive when firmware is updated and it begins to meet the expectations we have for it. If that's not good enough then you cant really go very wrong with the M1. The JooVoo is a good cam as long as you use the smartphone app with it but it's also more costly. It too has room for more development but it's much farther along right now so the improvements will probably be smaller. You decide if it's worth the extra expense ;) Not much else worth considering in this form-factor and size for use as a dashcam and more's the pity :(

Phil
Thanks Phil, Do you know if the mode button during recording can be pressed to save current clip on the m2 currently by any chance?

I don't know but I'm sure those who already have the M2 will answer shortly- a very helpful bunch of folks are here :D

Phil

Locking a file via the mode button doesn't work as of now with the M2.

I have (mostly privately) been beta testing the M2 and firmware iterations for the last five months (and more recently a second M2 with an alternate lens). The camera has great potential but has a long way to go before it ever gets there. The overall performance is such that I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone buy one for use as a dash cam at this point in time (although it may be more suitable for RC enthusiasts).

I have also been testing a new Mobius 1 with A2 lens that has been graciously provided to me. Initial impression is excellent. I've only had it a few days and am still evaluating it but offhand I would say that the new A2 lens is quite similar to the original A lens but of better quality with improved optical correction such as lower barrel distortion. I believe all the new lenses will feature similar subtle but important improvements.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input (and happy new year to you Gabacho)

I think you've prevented me from making a mistake to be honest. I have full faith in my current m1, it's been bomb proof since the day I got it and worth its weight in gold when an incident saw a driver accuse me of hitting him (things were soon ironed out when videos were sent off to insurance company)

I would hate to lose confidence in such a good bit of kit by choosing a product that isn't ready for a use quite yet, especially as it doesn't do the one thing I need it to do, locking files.I'll revisit the m2 at a later date, perhaps as a secondary unit

For now I'm contemplating the v2 Sg as it's on sale, a bit more than I was initially looking to spend, but maybe it's time to look at something designed specifically to be used as a DC (or if I can't part with the readies an m1 c2)

Truely thank you for your comments, good luck with the testing dashmellow, I'll keep an eye out for your results

I've actually walked in to a mine field :confused:

I now find myself trawling through threads looking at the a119 vs a119s with or without CPL

As a new M2 user for already 2 weeks, I really don't recommend to use the M2 as a all time dash cam unless you can accept the poor night time video quality. It's overexposure too much at night time even changed the exposure parameter settings to lowest.

As a new M2 user for already 2 weeks, I really don't recommend to use the M2 as a all time dash cam unless you can accept the poor night time video quality. It's overexposure too much at night time even changed the exposure parameter settings to lowest.

As I've said, I'm not recommending the M2 at this time, however, if you turn WDR off you will be happier with the night time exposure results and turning WDR off will not have a huge impact on daytime video capture.

Thanks for the input Petabyte, I've decided to go for an A119. I'll revisit the möbius 2 as I mtb and do some night rides, probably use it as a dual purpose, rear camera for car and drop it on my helmet for riding

Thanks for the input Petabyte, I've decided to go for an A119. I'll revisit the möbius 2 as I mtb and do some night rides, probably use it as a dual purpose, rear camera for car and drop it on my helmet for riding

Glad you made it through the mine field so quickly. :)

I think you made a good choice as the A119 seems like a good value for the money.

Yes, I had already turn off WDR since day 1 but not much help. The best setting that I found up to this moment is as below,

- Sharpness = 30 or more
- Exposure = Most darkness
- Contrast = a little bit higher than normal (testing is still in progress for a better balance for day time)
- Saturation = default
- Color Options = Warm
- White Balance = Auto
- Exposure Metering = Multi-Spot
- Exposure Priority = Low light

I recommend the other users can also posted their best parameter settings here or create a new topics. Sharing your experience so we all can benefit for saving a lot of time and effort to finding one best settings for both day & night time.

Glad you made it through the mine field so quickly. :)

I think you made a good choice as the A119 seems like a good value for the money.

Well ticked all the boxes really, decided to keep budget to around £100, discreet, good support, reliability seems good and most of my driving is done during day light, everything else a bonus

Only thing I'm mildly concerned about is I drive a diesel so hoping the cap won't give me issues, though I don't use stop/start so it's only an issue from get go, just have to suck it and see...oh and decide where to buy it...boblov ok on Amazon?

Do you buy the S version (A119S)? It has better night recording.

Do you buy the S version (A119S)? It has better night recording.

No, I've decided to stay with just the A119. I'll agree the sensor is superior in darkness but image looks quite grainy, most of my driving is during day light also. There is also a strange colour cast between green and blue, something I'm sure will be ironed out in new FM, but that's the point, its brand new and needs development.

The A119 seems to have a warmer image but overall I preferred the quality, so that's my choice and I'll go with a CPL

No, I've decided to stay with just the A119. I'll agree the sensor is superior in darkness but image looks quite grainy, most of my driving is during day light also. There is also a strange colour cast between green and blue, something I'm sure will be ironed out in new FM, but that's the point, its brand new and needs development.

The A119 seems to have a warmer image but overall I preferred the quality, so that's my choice and I'll go with a CPL

OK, sounds like good reasoning, and saves you some money too I guess. Good call.

Back