Can't get a full charge on BlackVue B-124 with short commute

ScootDawg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I've searched for a good bit to find a solution to this situation and haven't had any luck finding anything. The issue is that my commute is only 10-15 minutes, so altogether there and back it's 20-30 minutes. Hence, the battery doesn't get enough time to fully charge, which with the cigarette lighter should take about 80 minutes. Even if I hardwire the battery to the fuse box, I'll still run short of the required 40 minutes. How do people get around this, without bringing the battery in every single day to charge inside? I guess most people just have substantially longer commutes. Thanks in advance! Hopefully I haven't looked over previous posts that deal with this same issue.

Get a trickle charger to charge your battery overnight.. a pain but if you wire it in it can be no worse than having to plug in your vehicle in cold climates.

Get a trickle charger to charge your battery overnight.. a pain but if you wire it in it can be no worse than having to plug in your vehicle in cold climates.
Could you possibly send me a link of a product you have in mind? I'm not sure how I'd go about this, since the BlackVue battery has it's own propreitary input cable that you can either plug directly into the cigarette lighter or to the fuse box.

yes that's the problem using parking mode for a long time, if you do you also have to drive for a "long" time to charge your car battery, or in your case your spare dashcam battery.
I am glad i can make do with 30 minutes or so parking guard, it is rare i am away from my car for longer if it is parked where it is not covered by CCTV like at home in my apartment.

yes that's the problem using parking mode for a long time, if you do you also have to drive for a "long" time to charge your car battery, or in your case your spare dashcam battery.
I am glad i can make do with 30 minutes or so parking guard, it is rare i am away from my car for longer if it is parked where it is not covered by CCTV like at home in my apartment.
Yeah, it's turning out to be a bigger pain than I thought. The location of the fuse box necessitates a bunch of dissassembly to run the wire... so just wanted to do it right from the get-go instead of having to go back and make adjustments. Hardwiring alone should do the trick since I should be able to get anywhere from 60-75% of the required charging time. However, that does bring me to another question: my charging will be broken into two seperate periods (otw to work, and otw back). I'm wondering whether this will be detrimental to the battery or not. Any ideas? Maybe it's just better to really take the battery out at home, and use a wall outlet to cigarette lighter adapter to charge inside.

Could you possibly send me a link of a product you have in mind? I'm not sure how I'd go about this, since the BlackVue battery has it's own propreitary input cable that you can either plug directly into the cigarette lighter or to the fuse box.

I was thinking of a trickle charger hooked permanently to the main battery.. with the 120v cord to that charger conveniently placed where you can plug it in with an extension cord.. As we do up North to power our block heaters... I have mine (for my block heater) come up under the hood by the wipers.. Easy to see and on the right side of my car.. for me.

That wont work as far as i know, the blackvue battery only charge when the car are running, but they do charge faster when hard wired Vs when plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

I have been having the same problem, my commute is only 8-10 min! I didn't ahve the issue until winter came and its just not lasting as long in the freezing temps. I might need to get the expansion because during the weekend I drive a bunch and charging up two of them could be very beneficial. but thats a lotta money!

how would a trickle charger for his car battery help the b-124? isnt it really the alternator that would be charging the b-124? also been having this issue the last few weeks now that its been freezing cold and i have a 8-10 min commute each way only.

As I understood the problem.. the vehicles battery runs down due to the additional load your b-124 puts on it.. and your commute is not long enough to replenish the vehicle battery. So.. my idea of using a trickle charger would keep the vehicle battery "topped" up before you left for your commute.

Blackboxmycar offers a power inverter that allows you to plug into a wall outlet at your house/garage and charge your battery pack without the car running. You can plug in your b-124 to get it fully charged.
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/blackboxmycar-power-inverter?variant=6476897665
you can get them elsewhere for much cheaper. i bought one from amazon. you just gotta make sure to switch it to the lower power setting on the battery.

problem with this is im lazy lol. dont wanna have to do this all the time. I think my car battery might be going tho so that could be why im not getting as good of charging. i have a garage, but i live in an apartment, technically against my lease to use electricity in the garage which sucks.

Back