Can't mount cleanly behind rearview mirror...

Kaitlyn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Looking to mount the LS300W behind (in front of...) the rearview mirror, but it doesn't quite fit with the supplied mount. The mirror is too thick and there isn't enough space/angle to get it mounted nicely.

Is there any other easy way to mount it that would fit in front of the rearview mirror?

Are you trying to use a suction cup mount?

I had same issue with original supplied suction mount, but found good suction mount from other model with GPS module which has same body / shell as DOD LS300W ( I can get that bracket if needed ).

Also check some DIY solutions I have mentioned here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...cam-discrete-installation-behind-mirror.2167/

also there in video ( jump 8 min 02 sec ) you will see that other suction cup. ( also photos below )

GPS Bracket Mount (1).jpg

GPS Bracket Mount (2).jpg

GPS Bracket Mount (3).JPG

GPS Bracket Mount (4).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I had same issue with original supplied suction mount, but found good suction mount from other model with GPS module which has same body / shell as DOD LS300W ( I can get that bracket if needed ).

Also check some DIY solutions I have mentioned here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...cam-discrete-installation-behind-mirror.2167/

also there in video ( jump 8 min 02 sec ) you will see that other suction cup. ( also photos below )

View attachment 2721

View attachment 2722

View attachment 2723

View attachment 2724
Always wondered how that mount (last pic) holds? As good as DOD or Shadow mounts?

Always wondered how that mount (last pic) holds? As good as DOD or Shadow mounts?

My very first Dod ls300w mount held on rearview mirror surrounding sunshade dotted area for 4-5 month ( which is impressive result ) - not many suction mount can hold on dotted area, then after not any more and hold only on glass area, but very strong.
This type suction mount ( pictured in post #5 ) did not held as strong on dotted area as dod ls300w one at the beginning, but on plain glass area still holds strong till now.

Thanks for the reply!

I see DOD tech has a 3M tape mount:

dod_vrh3_mont_%E5%89%AF%E6%9C%AC-500x500.jpg

And then a similar model on eBay:
_CB035_016_zps095aac87.jpg

Is there a REASON why the DOD one has a long arm on it, placing it further away from the windshield?

I'm also not 100% sure that I really want to use a TAPE mount - how easy is it to remove the residue from windshield if I want to take it off after a couple years?

Is there a REASON why the DOD one has a long arm on it, placing it further away from the windshield?

I'm also not 100% sure that I really want to use a TAPE mount - how easy is it to remove the residue from windshield if I want to take it off after a couple years?
Tape comes off pretty easy..do it on a hot day and you can roll it off with your fingers.. Some rubbing alcohol and its done.
We have the shorter style in stock and will add to the store soon, wait for our boxing day deals!
I avoided the longer neck style, didn't figure it would stand up and increases chance of vibration.
WWW.reliable-eyewitness.com

The one we carry... Also have suction mount!

Attachments

• 20130630102244.jpg
    20130630102244.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 17
I had the same problem so I sacrificed one of the mounts by cutting off the tab that slides into the camera and super gluing a metal strip to it. I could then mount the metal strip to my rear view mirror mount. The metal is sturdy but flexible enough to allow me to position the angle of the camera where I need it. Here it is in its "prototype" state.
4.jpg

I had the same problem so I sacrificed one of the mounts by cutting off the tab that slides into the camera and super gluing a metal strip to it. I could then mount the metal strip to my rear view mirror mount. The metal is sturdy but flexible enough to allow me to position the angle of the camera where I need it. Here it is in its "prototype" state.

I would like to try this solution as well - my selfmade mount (see here) was great for the VF300W but is not stiff enogh for the heavier LS430W causing strong vibrations on the footage. Could you please show where exactly you have cut the original mount? That's not visible on the picture.

Best regards

Mick

I would like to try this solution as well - my selfmade mount (see here) was great for the VF300W but is not stiff enogh for the heavier LS430W causing strong vibrations on the footage. Could you please show where exactly you have cut the original mount? That's not visible on the picture.

Best regards

Mick
I'll try to get a picture of the mount I cut, versus a new one.

It's not the best picture but the red lines are where I cut the mount. This eliminates the locking tab as well but the mount holds well enough that it's not needed. After cutting it I ground the plastic down until it was flat and I could use super glue to attach the metal strip.
cut.png

Wow, that's an even smaller mount than I have made!
Just ordered some 3m doublesided tape and metal plates. Maybe I can make a stable base for my mount - or I will switch to your solution.

Best regards
Mick

Yes, I only really needed the piece that slides into the camera body.

Back