Can't Select Segments of Clips on G1WH During Import. In Desparate Need of a Solution.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Black Box G1W-H // Vantrue X1 Pro // Viofo A119-S V2
Hey guys!

New member here, just have a question. This is a problem I've been having, and it's driving me up a wall because NOBODY can seem to help me understand why this is happening. So I am hoping this amazing forum of all these knowledgeable people may be able to point me in the right direction, because I'm starting to lose hope. o_O

I bought a Black Box G1W (just the basic model, NOT to be confused with the G1W-H, which I will get to) about a year ago. Been working great. I have been using Sandisk 32GB cards, no problems. I run a dash cam channel on YouTube where I upload clips of bad drivers. Typically, I allow the camera to record (non loop) until I see something. Then I reach up and stop the recording, and start it again. That way I know that at the end of every clip, the action is right there.

I'm using Final Cut Pro X on a Mac. Been an accomplished video producer and editor for 12 years, and this is what stumps me...I can't import a ton of 45 minute clips (that's how long the camera records before cutting the clip) or I'll totally fill up my computer. So what I do is, during the import process, I manually select what small segment of the clip I want to actually import. That way, my library is full of right-to-the-action clips, I don't have to search much. I just scroll through and select the clips. This has worked fine for a year.

Fast forward to today. I decided to get a Black Box G1W-H. I put my card in, it's already formatted from the other dash cam. I record all day. I come home and go to make my selections, and it won't allow me. There's no errors or codes coming back, it's not like it's a glitch. It's just happening and I don't know why. I'm using a class 10 memory card, brand new. And get this...a few months ago, I decided to try the Vantrue X1 On-Dash and it did this same thing! And I wasn't sure why at all, I tried three different memory cards and none of them would let me select what segment of the clips I wanted to import. I wound up returning the dash cam because I couldn't get an answer from anyone, I assumed it was the dash cam? I can take those exact same cards and put them back into my original Black Box G1W, and record...and at the end of the day, I'll be able to make my selections and import segments of clips instead of the entire clips.

So what's the deal? If someone can help me, I would be eternally grateful. This has stumped me, and I feel like it may be a simple solution. But everyone just tells me it could be because it's in H.264 format...but so is my last dash cam and this wasn't a problem. Other people tell me to spend almost $1000 to get a physical digital importer so I can import these. I didn't have to do anything like that for a year straight, so why now is this a thing?

Thanks so much! Whoever can help me. You don't quite understand how absolutely confused I am.

<3

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to DCT! :)

Second, I think you're using the cameras in an incorrect way. Loop recording exists for a reason and both your cameras have a lock file function that creates separate files with the "action" that you want to preserve, saving you from the hassle of going through the whole 3min or 5min files to find what you're looking for.

Third, I didn't understand from what you wrote how or where you're "importing" the segments from. Directly from the card? Is the card inside the camera or are you using a USB card reader?

First of all, welcome to DCT! :)

Second, I think you're using the cameras in an incorrect way. Loop recording exists for a reason and both your cameras have a lock file function that creates separate files with the "action" that you want to preserve, saving you from the hassle of going through the whole 3min or 5min files to find what you're looking for.

Third, I didn't understand from what you wrote how or where you're "importing" the segments from. Directly from the card? Is the card inside the camera or are you using a USB card reader?

Hello! Sorry for the delayed reply, just got back into town from vacation. Since I've made this post, I've set the camera to record 1 minute loops. I just reach up and stop/start recording when I see someone driving badly. So now what I do is kind of comb through the many many clips I get, and look for the ones UNDER 1 minute long. I know if it's under 1 minute long that I've cut the recording due to some action.

Maybe I'm missing something? I see you mentioned that I can lock the files I want to preserve? How does this work?
As far as importing goes, I'm inserting my mini SD card into a regular SD card adapter, and then plugging that adapter right into my SD card slot.

Thanks for all your help!

Maybe I'm missing something? I see you mentioned that I can lock the files I want to preserve? How does this work?
Usually you can do that by pressing the menu button while the camera is recording, and I said "usually" because it may vary from G1W-H to G1W-H. The best thing to do is to try it and see if it creates a folder called EVENTS on the card (if I recall it correctly, it's been a while since I last used mine). If it does, then that's where the files that you want to keep are saved. Beware that for this to work you need to have both G-Sensor and Motion Detection disabled on the camera.

As far as importing goes, I'm inserting my mini SD card into a regular SD card adapter, and then plugging that adapter right into my SD card slot.
But that way you can only "import" the whole files. How did you cut the files to "import" only certain segments?

Back