Can't update firmware

Chris29

Reaction score
Country
Romania
So, I just bought a white xiaomi yi. I want to update to 1.0.9 version using this method.
I did all steps however when I start the camera (with update file on root of the card etc) nothing is happening. It's just starting normally. I'm using a 32 gb class 10 card.

What am I doing wrong?

So, I just bought a white xiaomi yi. I want to update to 1.0.9 version using this method.
I did all steps however when I start the camera (with update file on root of the card etc) nothing is happening. It's just starting normally. I'm using a 32 gb class 10 card.

What am I doing wrong?
Firmware file on root filename is firmware.bin? If you connect USB-cable to PC do not do this. Is wrong for update.

Firmware file on root filename is firmware.bin? If you connect USB-cable to PC do not do this. Is wrong for update.

Yes it is firmware.bin
Nothing happens.

do you have filename extensions turned on in your computer, if you don't it's easy to end up with a file named firmware.bin.bin which won't run

do you have filename extensions turned on in your computer, if you don't it's easy to end up with a file named firmware.bin.bin which won't run

This is how it looks.

TP8USPz.png

go to control panel/folder options, make sure hide extensions for known file types is unchecked

file extensions.jpg

Assuming that's correct just make sure the card is empty (format first is probably best) and copy the firmware file only to the card and try again, use a 32gb card or smaller

Ok. Thanks. I did that. Now I'm charging the camera full and I will try. I will be back with my result.

if that was checked just make sure your firmware is correctly named firmware.bin

Now is correctly named firmware.bin. The camera is now fully charged. Just one question before to proceed. Do I need to connect the camera with usb cable to a power source(PC) or just start it and let her flash without any power source.
Thanks

Do not connect camera to PC during firmware update. It was already written.
Mike

Do not connect camera to PC during firmware update. It was already written.
Mike

Where is written?
I see on step 4 that is recommended to connect the camera to a power source:

dQwJep2.png

I'm confused now. :confused:

You can plug the camera to a power source like a phone charger (it's not mandatory, honnestly I don't plug it when I update mine but mine is fully charged), but don't connect it to a PC cause the camera will turn to usb storage mode for the computer.
During the update wait until the camera turn off alone.

Last edited:
So I managed to make the update (without putting YI to a power source) and everything was ok. :)

Now I have another problem with android app. Actually I had the same problem before updating the camera but I was hoping to be resolved with 1.0.9.

So, my android app can't connect to YI camera. I'm doing every step. Starting the camera, wifi activated(blue led blinks) and trying to connect. I get that "chose a camera Wifi Connection", the camera is listed as YDXJ_2818196. It goes until the step where I need to put the password (1...0).

It loading with "connecting to camera" for like a minute or so and I get every time "failed to connect".

I tried with lots of app versions. The original one from xiaomi qr code link. 1.3 and 1.4 as well as 1.3 and 1.4 from the english translated apps.

Nothing works. :(

Is might me a problem with my phone? It's a Newman N2 (chinese phone from pandawill) with Android 4.1.1

Anyone has the same problem?

PS: I can connect to the camera with an Iphone via 3rd party apps but those are having big lag. Also I would like to connect with the official app.

I have a OnePlus One. Before, I had no problem to connect to my Yi using WiFi, but since the last update (last week) to Android Lollipop, I have to restart my phone before using the app because I can connect in WiFi only once after I have to reset my phone. I think there is a bug in Wifi implementation of the protocol.
Can you try something. Go to Android Settings -> Wifi and connect directly your phone to the Yi Cam. Does it work ?

I have a OnePlus One. Before, I had no problem to connect to my Yi using WiFi, but since the last update (last week) to Android Lollipop, I have to restart my phone before using the app because I can connect in WiFi only once after I have to reset my phone. I think there is a bug in Wifi implementation of the protocol.
Can you try something. Go to Android Settings -> Wifi and connect directly your phone to the Yi Cam. Does it work ?

I restarted my phone and connected directly to Yi cam from android settings wifi. It says it connected. But is useless. I mean I need to go to the app and connect via that red camera button placed in the lower part of the app. And it still can't connect from there.

I restarted my phone and connected directly to Yi cam from android settings wifi. It says it connected. But is useless. I mean I need to go to the app and connect via that red camera button placed in the lower part of the app. And it still can't connect from there.
Delete wi-fi settings for camera ap and connect to camera from mobile app.

why after I upgraded the firmware suddenly can not live again, only 3 small light turns red, please help

Back