Can't upgrade new A129

ck42

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a couple of 119's so I'm not new to this process, but this brand new A129 is pissing me off.
Here's what I've done:

1) Verified cam works. Came with v1.0 firmware
2) Downloaded FWA129.bin file
3) Formatted the mem card in the camera
4) Removed cam from GPS mount/power and connected to USB port to laptop
5) Copied the FW129.bin file to the root (I see the DCIM directory listed)
6) Properly unmounted the USB connection
7) Disconnect the USB connection
8) Reconnect to GPS mount and power it back on

EVERY time though it simply boots back up with v1.0 firmware.
What am I doing wrong?

After installing the new FW in the cam, go to the menu and select "default settings". Power down and restart the cam. Now you should see the new FW version and can reset things to your preferred values. It's an easily missed step which wasn't needed with most older cams ;)

Phil

Wow...yeah, never read that this step was required anywhere!
I'll give this a try shortly. Thank you!

Shouldn’t need to default the settings to see that the camera updated, but defaulting the settings is certainly needed step.
Is the .bin file still on the memory card after you tried updating? If it is, then it did not update. Double check the firmware name. If there are any (1) or (2) at the end, it won’t update. Be sure you have the correct version for the A129. Firmware for the A129 Pro or A129 Plus won’t load.

Yes, I even took the mem card out and looked at it on computer directly. The .bin file is there in the root directly. File name is exactly correct.
I haven't double-checked if I have the correct A129 version...hadn't thought of that!

Yes, I even took the mem card out and looked at it on computer directly. The .bin file is there in the root directly. File name is exactly correct.
I haven't double-checked if I have the correct A129 version...hadn't thought of that!
If it's named FWA129.bin, then that should be right. The Pro and Plus versions are named differently.

Confirmed. File name is FW129.bin

I'll need to 2x check on whether it's FW or FWA.

Back