Capacitor based dashcam

basjke

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm new to dashcams, but was considering a Mini 0805. Then I read that when the battery goes bad the firmware will respond erratically, even when connected to permanent power. Since I live in tropical Thailand I may expect the battery not to last long.

In a post on this forum I read that the solution would be to switch to capacitor based cameras.

Usually this future is not mentioned in the specs, so I would like to ask if Dome G90 or G98 cameras are capacitor based, and if not which lower priced cameras are in that category.

Dome does not make any capacitor dash cameras that I'm aware of. Not yet anyway.

Dome does not make any capacitor dash cameras that I'm aware of. Not yet anyway.

Thanks, I'm still researching as this is my first cam, and when looking at images it seems that G98 picture quality is superior to Mini so will for the moment focus on the G98.

Would it be expensive to make a capacitor pcb to use with this camera, and would there be enough space in the G98 to place it?

Mini 0903 has a capacitor at a similar price. A119 does as well.

A119 has much better quality due to the newer Novatek chip.

Doubt firmware would run camera properly if you replaced the battery with capacitors.
What about a g1w-c camera. They are dirt cheap. Maybe a118c or a119 for a little more money?

The mini 0903 is 1080p only, but the A119 looks interesting. It is still in pre sale at gearbest I notice, so it must be pretty new. Are there any video images of the A119 available yet?

There are a few threads on the A119. You can find some video in there. Go to the end of the threads to find the video of the production models. Firmware has changed a lot from the pre-production models/video.

There are a few threads on the A119. You can find some video in there. Go to the end of the threads to find the video of the production models. Firmware has changed a lot from the pre-production models/video.

Found one thread with video clips taken last Saturday, and they didn't look very well.

Found another thread with just pictures taken a few days ago, and they also didn't look good. The OP of that thread also said that the pre production picture quality was better.

Maybe you watched the video where the camera was being held and not mounted? Was the video shaky? Keep in mind, they are still tweaking the firmware. Should only bet better from here.

Not sure if you have any dealers in your area for the A119. Probably best going through Foxoffer on EBay.

Found this youtube A119 vs Mini 806, and in my opinion the Mini 806 has way better picture.

I would appreciate your opinion after viewing the youtube

Maybe you watched the video where the camera was being held and not mounted? Was the video shaky? Keep in mind, they are still tweaking the firmware. Should only bet better from here.

Not sure if you have any dealers in your area for the A119. Probably best going through Foxoffer on EBay.
Yes it was the video with the camera handheld, but I have since viewed several on Youtube, and posted one above.

Gearbest would be best option for me, but I have a feeling that not everyone shares that opinion.

Sorry, I'm currently on vacation and only have my phone. Not good to judge videos with.

I have now watched youtubes from the Viofo A119 and A118C, Mini 806 and 826 and Dome Gs98C for many hours.

Is it just my impression only that the Viofo's and the Mini's have a far greater fish bowl effect, especially at night, than the Dome GS98C?

I have now watched youtubes from the Viofo A119 and A118C, Mini 806 and 826 and Dome Gs98C for many hours.

Is it just my impression only that the Viofo's and the Mini's have a far greater fish bowl effect, especially at night, than the Dome GS98C?
Yeah, I have noticed that. FYI, the GS98C and GS90C have the same chipset and lens. Video quality should be similar. The 98 has a metal front casing while the 90 is all plastic. The metal gets very hot when sitting in the sun on windshield. Not sure that it really would affect anything though. They are both battery.

Yeah, I have noticed that. FYI, the GS98C and GS90C have the same chipset and lens. Video quality should be similar. The 98 has a metal front casing while the 90 is all plastic. The metal gets very hot when sitting in the sun on windshield. Not sure that it really would affect anything though. They are both battery.

That was actually my next question.

I found a G98C from Geekbuying and a G90C a little cheaper from a local dealer. The local dealer mentioned to me that the G98 gets much hotter compared to the G90.

Since I live in a tropical country, and have no intention of removing the camera, I was asking myself if the all plastic version not would deform from the sun.

What are your thoughts about that?

Last edited:
That was actually my next question.

I found a G98C from Geekbuying and a G90C a little cheaper from a local dealer. The local dealer mentioned to me that the G98 gets much hotter compared to the G90.

Since I live in a tropical country, and have no intention of removing the camera, I was asking myself if the all plastic version not would deform from the sun.

What are your thoughts about that?
I think since you can get the G90c locally and cheaper, I'd go that way.

Don't pay too much attention at picture quality. You have to consider at reliable too.
If you like best image quality, you can buy mini 0806 with CPL filter. It's have the best image quality at daynight in medium cost dashcam.

Back