Capacitor based dashcam

G1Wc is good at it's price point,but build quality is highly variable. Mobuis (action cam, no screen ) is a solid winner for it's price. Mobuis with caps has been reviewed in Australian summer heat

I think since you can get the G90c locally and cheaper, I'd go that way.

Thanks, I agree with that, but my question was more to the point that I worry that the all plastic G90 may deform in the hot sun where the metal G98 may be stronger. Keep in mind we reach temperatures of +40° here.

I have read posts on this forum that some Mini's have that problem, but don't know if they are all plastic or metal frame.

We have a few members who live in Thailand.

I go there for a few weeks at a time and use a mobius with capacitor in a rental toyota vigo.

I do not leave the cam powered up when parked, it's on a switched power source. No problem with a mobius with a capacitor there. I suspect much of the problems with cameras melting when parked are a combination of sun and being powered up while parked.

Thanks, I agree with that, but my question was more to the point that I worry that the all plastic G90 may deform in the hot sun where the metal G98 may be stronger. Keep in mind we reach temperatures of +40° here.

I have read posts on this forum that some Mini's have that problem, but don't know if they are all plastic or metal frame.
Most dash cam are plastic and seem to hold up fine. Any of them could deform under the right circumstances. I honestly couldn't say if the metal front on the G98 would be beneficial or not. While it won't melt, it could help retain more heat which would be bad for the battery. I don't think I'd use parking mode in your temps with any dash cam you buy.

We have a few members who live in Thailand.

I go there for a few weeks at a time and use a mobius with capacitor in a rental toyota vigo.

I do not leave the cam powered up when parked, it's on a switched power source. No problem with a mobius with a capacitor there. I suspect much of the problems with cameras melting when parked are a combination of sun and being powered up while parked.

No I'm not after a camera with loads of fancy functions, but from what I have researched so far there are a few "musts"

I would like the camera to have wide angle, 1296p, g-sensor, H264 compression, lane departure warning, file record time setting and preferable support 64Gb card and auto start/stop.

And also usb charging on the window mount.

No I'm not after a camera with loads of fancy functions, but from what I have researched so far there are a few "musts"

I would like the camera to have wide angle, 1296p, g-sensor, H264 compression, lane departure warning, file record time setting and preferable support 64Gb card and auto start/stop.

And also usb charging on the window mount.
The lane departure warning system is pretty useless in most dash cameras. Most people just disable it. USB charging on the mount will narrow your choices. The G98 port is on the camera. The G90 has USB charging via the mount or camera. The GPS version of the A119 has the port on the mount or camera as well. They also just released a new firmware to address some issues. It's a beta version though.

The lane departure stuff on most of these dashcams really don't do much, unless you like to hear a lot of beeps. (Capture beat me to the punch on this..)
:)

If you plug most of these dash cams into a switched power source, (Cig lighter socket that is only hot when the key is on) they'll turn on and off as you start/stop the car.

USB charging on the window mount? Not sure what you are after. You want to be able to charge other things?

I use various common 12v/cig lighter multipliers with a few usb ports on them.

It's nice to have dash cams and other stuff that take a somewhat common USB plug, as opposed to a coaxial type or other plug. If you're not tolerant of exposed or dangling wires there are simple to complex solutions for dealing with them. At the least you can usually find some crevices in the headliner to tuck the wires into.

I usually have a smartphone, tablet, and other stuff I want to charge as I travel.

Here's a Mobius C, with the add on capacitor, stuck in the windshield as I drove through Pai. The cam is on a suction cup mount, and the darker top of the video is picking up the tint band on the top of the windshield.

(in car audio covered up so the world doesn't hear the 'watch out for that motorbike/you should have turned there/we're lost' conversation.)

The mobius has decent video, small, no screen. It lends itself to a cleaner, discrete, install if you want that.

The lane departure stuff on most of these dashcams really don't do much, unless you like to hear a lot of beeps. (Capture beat me to the punch on this..)

If you plug most of these dash cams into a switched power source, (Cig lighter socket that is only hot when the key is on) they'll turn on and off as you start/stop the car.

USB charging on the window mount? Not sure what you are after. You want to be able to charge other things?

I use various common 12v/cig lighter multipliers with a few usb ports on them.

It's nice to have dash cams and other stuff that take a somewhat common USB plug, as opposed to a coaxial type or other plug. If you're not tolerant of exposed or dangling wires there are simple to complex solutions for dealing with them. At the least you can usually find some crevices in the headliner to tuck the wires into.

I usually have a smartphone, tablet, and other stuff I want to charge as I travel.

Here's a Mobius C, with the add on capacitor, stuck in the windshield as I drove through Pai. The cam is on a suction cup mount, and the darker top of the video is picking up the tint band on the top of the windshield.

(in car audio covered up so the world doesn't hear the 'watch out for that motorbike/you should have turned there/we're lost' conversation.)

The mobius has decent video, small, no screen. It lends itself to a cleaner, discrete, install if you want that.

The point of the charging port on the mount is that it makes it easier to have the wire hidden, as it is closer to the head liner, and you don't need to disconnect it when you remove the camera for some reason.

My rear view mirror has a a power connection, as well as the lights in the head liner, and i will try to get power from there.

Regarding the video you posted, maybe it is the youtube compression, but that must be the worst picture I have seen yet.

Edit : The picture quality seems to improve after the first minute, but I also noticed a loop back around the 1 minute mark, maybe you changed something in the settings?

@ Captureyouraction : LDWS is off my bucket list, thanks for the warning

Regarding the video you posted, maybe it is the youtube compression, but that must be the worst picture I have seen yet.

Stick around, you'll see much worse. :)

Make sure you select 1080p at YT if available to at least get the better video.

The mobius isn't the best, but it's reliable. I've got one that ran as a dashcam in a large truck for two years, mostly 24/7, and it still works fine. It's being retired and headed for use in an RC plane. (Putting a battery back in it)
The A119 is worth considering, since you want a neater install. One pre-production tester is in Hua Hin. He's not on here too often, but maybe he has some ideas for cams.

Yeah, YouTube can be tough to judge videos. I'm on my phone so I didn't watch the clip. Download some raw clips to really know what to expect from the camera. There should be lots of raw clip floating around this forum.

The mobius isn't the best, but it's reliable. I've got one that ran as a dashcam in a large truck for two years, mostly 24/7, and it still works fine. It's being retired and headed for use in an RC plane. (Putting a battery back in it)
The A119 is worth considering, since you want a neater install. One pre-production tester is in Hua Hin. He's not on here too often, but maybe he has some ideas for cams.

Huahin is not too far from here. Would it be possible that I send him a PM? If so please PM me his username.

Yes I'm looking at the A119, but the most affordable price I can find is from Gearbest, and I have read some posts already from members that received one that doesn't has internal memory.

I understand that the Non-Gps version has the internal memory as well, and on the Gearbest listing is also not mentioned what is in the box, so I'm a bit wary to order from them.

I'm not sure what you mean with internal memory, unless Gearbest is claiming to throw in a card with the cam purchase?
I'd probably want to source my own memory card, anyway. Many problems with dashcams are related to memory cards. Not sure I'd trust a no-name card.

I haven't used a production A119, but have a pre-production sample. It worked well, but had some quirks firmware updates should have addressed.

I'm not sure what you mean with internal memory, unless Gearbest is claiming to throw in a card with the cam purchase?
I'd probably want to source my own memory card, anyway. Many problems with dashcams are related to memory cards. Not sure I'd trust a no-name card.

I haven't used a production A119, but have a pre-production sample. It worked well, but had some quirks firmware updates should have addressed.
I may be confused, been reading for 2 days about cams, but I thought I had seen posts that a Viofo A119 could record without a SD card inserted because it had a few GB internal memory.

Then I saw posts on this forum from members who received one from Gearbest that didn't have the internal memory.

As I say, I may be confused with another camera mentioned earlier in this thread.

There is some other A119 being sold that is not related to the Viofo A119.

There is some other A119 being sold that is not related to the Viofo A119.
I found it. It's the Mini 0826 that comes with 8Gb internal memory.

Regarding the "other" A119 available at Gearbest, I guess you mean the B40.

Is that one to avoid?

As far as I know, at this point there is only one A119. They will all be Viofo A119 and all will be the same. None have internal memory.
The B40 is the same as A118 I believe.

The B40 with capacitor is reliable, and 'OK'. The night video is not great. I think recently there are cloned B40's/A118 popping up with some problems. If you get the 'Viofo' brand you should be OK. I'm not sure it's worth getting a B40 at this point with the A119 out?

Almost same housing/form, but the A119 should be better overall.

I may have confused, also. It may have been the A118 that there was a similarly named cam out, with dual cameras.

Can you not get from Foxoffer on EBay? I would avoid getting a A118c from Gearbest. Probably won't be Viofo. The A119 from Gearbest should be a Viofo A119. There are no copy's out yet.

Back