Capacitor required, help please

Touran Daddy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm still keeping my DR500GW alive. Already replaced the rechargeable battery but have now found the super capacitor has blown, well one side anyway.
Does anyone know where I can get one in the UK? The like of Maplin, RS, TLC etc don't do them as they seem quite unique.
I can get multiple packs from China but thought I'd see here first?
Perhaps you bought a pack and need to rid yourself of one or are an electronics engineer with some hidden away :)
Or do you have a cam for breaking for parts?

Size required 5.4v 7.5F as shown in the attached pic.

Any help will be much appreciated

Regards

Jez

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    784.4 KB · Views: 24
Probably no need to say this, but replace the pair as matched components work better together than mixed ones ;)

Phil

Stupid question but how do I join the two together and have you done this?
The one fitted only has one leg per cap so can't see how they are joined?
Wouldn't want to get it wrong and get a car full of dust as they pop!

Thanks

It appears in series from t'Internet.

Amazing what you forget from school :)

I see supercaps haven't changed much from my bench technician days fixing VCRs. Mid-80s, VCRs started using supercaps to keep the clock and timer settings through a power interruption. After a few years they would fail and often leak on the board and corrode circuit traces.

After having my less than 2 yr old $150 LS300W fail from internal battery damage, I sure wish the dashcam makers would consider making some dashcams with a user replaceable battery pack, like your typical cordless phone has.

Agreed Edgardo, being a mechanical engineer I can't stand the throw away society we are in and the blackvue seems just that unless you are willing to have a go.
I always try to fix stuff as normally works out cheaper than replacing the whole thing.
I might try some Tv repair shops for caps as RS only has one in stock at the mo with more coming mid Jan.

I need a cam for the wife's car but don't think it'll be a Blackvue.

So, should have removed the cover and I would have answer my own first question. Indeed two off 2.7v 15F caps found.
However, Due to size constraints I can't buy any old replacement or they won't fit in the housing and to get them from digikey etc is about £25!
RS Have 1 Bussman type in stock which I have ordered.
I assume from the picture that the CCT board does the joining in series for me and changing one cap for now should suffice?
Thanks
Jez

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    763 KB · Views: 12
It should work OK like that at least for awhile. Series-wired same-value caps and batteries should always be serviced all at once together because the older one(s) will get worked harder leading to their earlier failure. My concern is that if one old cap has failed the other may not be far behind in failing too. Then again it could go for years like that, you just can't know for sure.

Phil

Two 2.7V capacitors in series makes for a 5.4V working voltage. If the cam is applying 5V to that circuit you will overvoltage just one 2.7V cap.

Also, Two 15F in series equals 7.5F.

We were speaking of replacing one cap only instead of both- not of attempting operation on just one cap.

Phi

Thanks Phil but it seems the ones that fit in the cam are discontinued and only fatter ones are available which I don't think will fit in the blackvue housing as it already has cutouts in the casing for them. Originals are 13mm dia 26mm long vs new after ones at 16mm dia or 30mm long.

Edgardo, I am taking a risk that the other cap is still ok and only changing the other. False economy probably but the camera has been shutting down wrongly for years plus most times on starting the camera restarts even in parking mode.
It was only my recent windscreen change that prompted me to take the camera out and look at it.

Maybe I'll wait until RS might get another one and change both together as I have their last one in stock.

Thanks Phil but it seems the ones that fit in the cam are discontinued and only fatter ones are available which I don't think will fit in the blackvue housing as it already has cutouts in the casing for them. Originals are 13mm dia 26mm long vs new after ones at 16mm dia or 30mm long.

Edgardo, I am taking a risk that the other cap is still ok and only changing the other. False economy probably but the camera has been shutting down wrongly for years plus most times on starting the camera restarts even in parking mode.
It was only my recent windscreen change that prompted me to take the camera out and look at it.

you need to replace the pair

http://www.vina.co.kr/winko/data/product/SS_EDLC_VEC_2R7_156_QG.pdf

Edgardo, I am taking a risk that the other cap is still ok and only changing the other.
The capacitors need to be matched pretty closely to divide the voltage across each equally. Could even be the one that appears good failed and caused damage to the other. Likely that one "good" cap will not be equal to a new one. So yes you are risking additional damage.

Wow. Ok totally in the wrong.
Do you have any recommendations for suppliers for these jokiin?
Advice taken, I will change both.
Appreciate all of your efforts.

not sure where you would find them in small quantity sorry, knowing what to look for is at least a start though

Did you look on ebay? Not sure about UK but I see there are some on the US site.

Thanks but the problem is the size. The originals are as jokiin attached, only 25mm long and there is no space in the housing for longer ones or wider ones.
I'm scouring the globe!

Thanks but the problem is the size. The originals are as jokiin attached, only 25mm long and there is no space in the housing for longer ones or wider ones.
I'm scouring the globe!

using something a little smaller would still be ok, just stick with 2.7v

Back