Car Battery Age and Condition and Parking Mode.

jamesjay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Since I have been using the F770 I have always had a problem getting anything close to 48 hours from the F770 in parking mode or time-lapse recording, but realised my 43 Ah car battery was the original Ford one and is in fact nearly 10 years old and when I checked it after leaving it standing overnight using a multi-meter it was only 70% charged.

I was able to borrow a brand new 44 Ah battery from a friend and the difference is unbelievable, I have checked the new battery usage after leaving the car standing for over 38 hours in parking mode using a volt meter and it read 12.36 volts, so I am sure for the first time I will get the full F770 48 hours limit.

I am now looking at a replacement car battery and was going to go for a 47Ah battery, I am presuming that the extra 4 Ah's will give me a bit longer parking mode usage if needed if I am parked in a area that has more passing traffic.

BTW before using the new battery I did check my cars charging capacity using the multi-meter while running the engine and having the lights on, heater and AC on, and the front and rear heated windscreens on, and the alternator is giving a charging reading above the manufacturers specifications.

My question is does anyone see a problem with fitting the increased 4 Ah battery because I can't.

Kind regards,
James.

I used to run directly from the car battery with my F750 & F770. it was great at first as I easily got 48hrs. (cut off at 11.3),
but within 2 years my battery was dead...
I now use a cellink PRO battery

Thank you guys for your comments...I bought a 52 Ah battery that would fit in to the battery compartment, there was no problem with the length of battery but I needed to get the height and width correct because I didn't want to do modifications to the compartment and I made sure it was fully charged before fitting it, and the result is for the first time I am getting a full 48 hours of parking mode.

It is early days yet but I have been testing the voltage drop with a multi-meter each morning and more importantly over the last weekend which is the longest period the car is not in use and so far it has not dropped below 12 volts although I don't get that much passing traffic where I park.

I do accept that it would be best to fit something like the Cellink Pro but at £399.00 when the new battery only costing £65.00 and the F770 has a 48 hour limit anyway I am not sure it is a viable or cost affect option, if I can get 2 years out of the new battery I would be more than happy because I would need to replace the battery another 5 times before I got any cost benefit from fitting the Cellnet Pro.

I think changing the car battery was the best option for me because firstly it didn't sink in that I was using a 10 year old battery and it needed replacement anyway, and although where I park overnight has a low amount of passing traffic it is a large but poorly lit cul-de-sac and that means the greater chance of another car hitting my car or car theft, which is why I went for the parking mode of the F770.

Kind regards and thanks again,
James.

I also installed the Cellink battery path to avoid the risk of ruining the expensive AGM battery fitted to my vehicle, I can't remember what I paid for the Cellink B in 2017 I think it may have around £200 mark, both vehicle battery and the Cellink B have work flawlessly since the installation.

Last edited:
I used to run directly from the car battery with my F750 & F770. it was great at first as I easily got 48hrs. (cut off at 11.3),
but within 2 years my battery was dead...
I now use a cellink PRO battery

11.3 is totally crazy and it will destroy the life of your battery. You should be aiming for 12.4 or 12.2 the lowest!

must use a battery pack for your dashcam if you want parking mode, i found that out when my recording times were getting shorter and shorter, even with a high powered brand new car battery in

Back