car battery discharge protection

I thought it was rather humorous. Even with only my 'laymans' level knowledge of virii, I know that there is no known possibility of the virus living through the time and methods of usual shipment even if it were heavily present just before a package were shipped. Without a host or support medium, this kind of virus doesn't live long enough to be shipped overseas, which has been well-covered in every respectable media report I've seen on the subject :cautious: Anyone who takes away anything else from the comment isn't someone to be hanging around with IMHO ;)

Personally, I'd have checked the box requesting it be shipped on a "No Chemtrails" flight too :ROFLMAO:

Phil

I guess because I had literally just heard journalists yesterday on the radio discussing what a serious problem disinformation and misinformation about COVID-19 is becoming world wide and how they used the fear of virus transmission via packages from China as one of the primary examples, it didn't strike me as so funny.

Anyone who mocks people who may happen to fall pray to misinformation is an idiot in my book. :mad:

okay i guess it was a bad joke (mixing the banggood checkout insurance options)

okay i guess it was a bad joke (mixing the banggood checkout insurance options)

You're forgiven. :) I probably wouldn't have thought much of it except for hearing about exactly this thing on the radio.

The other aspect of this I hadn't mentioned about the report I heard is the problem appears to be misinformation spreading on social media in different parts of the world. Some people are not believing what their governments are telling them in news reports and rumors are circulating online. Several social media platforms have apparfently announced that they are deleting misinformation as soon as they find it.

@tomerrr Let us know how it works for you when it arrives :)
It seems to be great for our purposes due to having a settable time delay for the low voltage to activate and enough current-carrying capacity to run a box full cams :D

Phil
i don't think it has an actual time delay

You're forgiven. :) I probably wouldn't have thought much of it except for hearing about exactly this thing on the radio.

The other aspect of this I hadn't mentioned about the report I heard is the problem appears to be misinformation spreading on social media in different parts of the world. Some people are not believing what their governments are telling them in news reports and rumors are circulating online. Several social media platforms have apparfently announced that they are deleting misinformation as soon as they find it.
spreading fear and half information is a big issue. have a look at this
just the other day, there was a news item on the 8pm news here on TV, about the virus able to sustain for up to 9 days on surfaces , based on the above study. obviously as in prime time TV, just the main headline was given.

i don't think it has an actual time delay
It seems you are right- I don't know where I got that. It does however have a user-programmable "reconnect" function so that if the power supply (battery) voltage drops to below the selected level temporarily, it will automatically re-power the device after the voltage rises back to it's setting level. So if you drop too low by remote locking your car, once the headlights etc go out afterward the cam will restart and run until the low-voltage level you set is more permanently reached.

It is my understanding that the other devices being discussed won't do that; once they cut off they do not restart the cam until the car is started once again. I could be wrong about that also as I have no experience with them. Regardless this is a good price for a seemingly good device and looks rather user-friendly as to connecting it in your car. The only drawback I can see is that you'll have to protect it against damage or short-circuiting; any plastic box could make an easy-to-DIY housing for it.

Phil

spreading fear and half information is a big issue. have a look at this
just the other day, there was a news item on the 8pm news here on TV, about the virus able to sustain for up to 9 days on surfaces , based on the above study. obviously as in prime time TV, just the main headline was given.

Well, that's not good news. Maybe they should be offering germ insurance after all!

It's the first I've heard of this, which would indeed warrant extra precautions being taken with it.

And though I do not claim to know a lot about such things, if this were a widespread happening it would seem to me that the virus would have spread to every corner of the earth in huge numbers by now due to the massive amounts of goods being shipped out of China every day.

But I stand in the same place regards humor. Not everyone sees things as I do but I see humor as being good wherever it is found- even in death:

Phil

It seems you are right- I don't know where I got that. It does however have a user-programmable "reconnect" function so that if the power supply (battery) voltage drops to below the selected level temporarily, it will automatically re-power the device after the voltage rises back to it's setting level. So if you drop too low by remote locking your car, once the headlights etc go out afterward the cam will restart and run until the low-voltage level you set is more permanently reached.

It is my understanding that the other devices being discussed won't do that; once they cut off they do not restart the cam until the car is started once again. I could be wrong about that also as I have no experience with them. Regardless this is a good price for a seemingly good device and looks rather user-friendly as to connecting it in your car. The only drawback I can see is that you'll have to protect it against damage or short-circuiting; any plastic box could make an easy-to-DIY housing for it.

Phil
yes you're right about the reconnect feature, at least the Blackvue doesn't have it and it would cut the power to the cameras every time the headlights would turn on. i'm going to replace the Blackvue anyway when this board arrives (it suddenly returned to work normally today)

Speaking of the corona virus surviving on surfaces for up to nine days I've just learned that China has begun to quarantine large quantities of bank notes and temporarily store some of it in warehouses to ensure that the disease does not spread through cash.

This is not a good sign.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/t...prevent-spread-of-deadly-disease-4948491.html

Makes sense I guess, fortunately it won't affect many people to go without cash, they barely use it these days, it was already getting to the point where it was hard to find places that still take cash, everything is electronic contactless payment

So far I've seen almost nothing regards Covid-19 living longer on surfaces than any related virus does, but I'm sure it's possible given the exactly right circumstances. It has been long known that paper currency is comparatively filthy for germs, about as bad as public doorknobs :( I'll never go entirely cashless as there are too many things which can (and do) go wrong which leaves only those who have cash with any buying power. And with cash, you know exactly how much you have without question- it's a solid known value to buyer and seller alike.

I did some long-overdue dashcam maintenance yesterday, date/time was off in about half my cams but the cards are all still good-to-go. One suction mount on the side needs some help and one more cam to check in the back today, the one I have screwed to the rear partition wall. I tend to let that one go too long between checks as I'm usually parked where the rear doors won't open to get to it while here at home :rolleyes: TBH I'm surprised that cheap bugger is still working, wish I'd bought a couple more while they were still being made.

Phil

It has been determined that corona viruses can live on surfaces and remain infectious for up to nine days. The average survival rate is four to five days, but low temperature and high humidity increase their lifespan.

At 20°C (68°F), aerosolised Coronavirus (virus in the air as droplets released by the sneeze of an infected person) was found to better survive at 50 per cent relative humidity or higher. Nearly 20 per cent of the original infectious virus was still detectable after six days. At 20°C (68°F) or lower, the survival of the virus was significantly enhanced whatever the rate of relative humidity.

This enhanced survival rate at high relative humidity and low temperature may explain the winter propagation of Corona viruses.

So, it does seem that paper currency or packages shipped from China are a possible vector for Covid 19. Of course, we have no way to know what humidity or temperature conditions apply to packages shipped from China but if they take longer than nine days to arrive then items inside the box should be safe to handle.

The studies and reports I've seen vary as to viable lifespan. Being that we know relatively little of it all so far anything could be possible so precaution without paranoia is a good idea ;) Two of my favorite YouTubers have mentioned that they aren't worried about the products they review because they're receiving them via the free "slow boat' shipping, so the long timeframe probably equals safety. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about anything shipped via any method and if I was then disposable gloves and a disinfectant treatment on receipt would be enough- or at least all that's reasonably possible.

Life is for those who will live it- it is not without risks. Just avoid anything stupid and you'll usually do fine :cool:

Phil

I agree that "slow boat shipping" likely reduces or eliminates risks of receiving packages from China (as I already pointed out in my previous post), but in the interest of "avoiding anything stupid" I believe the last place anyone should turn to for information about this epidemic (pandemic?) is "favorite YouTubers". The simple fact is that no studies I'm aware of have been conducted that traced the temperature or humidity conditions and related virus survival rates inside a sealed package shipped overseas. Most of these studies about virus survival rates on surfaces date back to the (also corona viruses) MERS and SARS epidemics. So far it appears that Covid 19 is more or less in the same range for temperature and humidity as the determining factors. But all of these studies apply to open air exposed surfaces such as doorknobs, keyboards and the like. For all we know, bubble wrapped items inside a shipped box could act like a Petri dish.

Last edited:
There's no doubt that shipping by sea introduces humidity and likely some cold weather into the equation- anything's possible. I didn't say "my" YouTubers were any reliable source for info on the virus, only that their logic seems sensible when compared to what is scientifically known at this time. Nor have I deeply researched this, just a half-hour or so quick reading on well-respected medical websites and via similar references coming from media reports. I hope I won't need to learn anything more about it, as that would mean it getting worse :( I don't have the time to spend on this unless I see my risks significantly increasing, which isn't happening yet ;)

They are finding variant behavior when compared to SARS and the NovaVirus which came afterward, but not in any great significance. We still don't know a lot about these things but we're getting there and I'm certain we all hope the needed knowledge comes about quickly. We are learning so there is hope.

Phil

so it got here at last and it is tiny!
IMG_20200316_232725.jpg
hopefully i'd get it installed on wednesday

one year later, that tiny board is still in the front pocket of my backpack..never bothered having it installed,
as the BlackVue is working and I hardly drive anywhere so the battery's power almost always below 12V and it disconnects power to the cameras about 10 seconds after i turn off the engine.

I hope everyone here are doing well & healthy

Im just Dandy, and driving as much as i ever had.
Arent you guys down there all vaccinated by now, saw something about your country racing ahead on that.

Back