Car battery keeps dying

sshazam

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello all,

I currently have two street guardian sg9665gc hardwired with the cell power in my car, but the problem is that the cameras seem to stay on all the time or the cut off is too low for my car. End result is that my car battery constantly goes flat. My battery is 4 years old which could also be the issue.

The installer and camera both been nothing short of brilliant and really helpful with trying multiple solutions to getting it to work properly, but i'm starting to think the camera might just not be compatible with my car.

I'm considering changing the camera to a Thinkware F750 but i'm not sure how the video quality would compare to the Street Guardian which has a higher bit rate.

The car is a Kia if that helps.

Looking for advice on people that have had similar problems or those who have a Thinkware F750.

Last edited:
you need to use a power supply with adjustable timer and voltage cutoffs, running two cameras will run it down way too fast, if you want the best device look at the Vico cutoff device as it also has over temp cutoff, that's a good feature to have in our climate

Did your installed used also a BDP ( battery discharge preventiin device ) in case you want to use dashcam to record while car is parked. Otherwise, if you want to record only when driving need to hardwire to switched ( ACC ) fuse.

Did your installed used also a BDP ( battery discharge preventiin device ) in case you want to use dashcam to record while car is parked. Otherwise, if you want to record only when driving need to hardwire to switched ( ACC ) fuse.

I know they used the Cell power kit to hard wire each one. Would this be the same as a BDP?

you need to use a power supply with adjustable timer and voltage cutoffs, running two cameras will run it down way too fast, if you want the best device look at the Vico cutoff device as it also has over temp cutoff, that's a good feature to have in our climate

Does the Cell Power kit allow you to do the same thing as the Vico, or would I have to buy both ?

but i'm starting to think the camera might just not be compatible with my car.

This problem has nothing to do with the brand of camera, the Thinkware would do the same. You need to find the issue with the installation.

The Cell Power is OK for hardwire installation but it is not meant for parking mode which is what it sounds like you were trying to do

This problem has nothing to do with the brand of camera, the Thinkware would do the same. You need to find the issue with the installation.
The installer was saying the problem was my car only had an option of keeping the camera on 24/7 or off. But last time they said they fixed it but that didn't seem to activate the cut off. They have been really helpful so can't fault them and did come recommended so can trust their advice.

The Cell Power is OK for hardwire installation but it is not meant for parking mode which is what it sounds like you were trying to do
What i'm trying to do is have the camera record when the car is on, when I turn the car off have the motion detection come on and off and then turn the camera off at the designated cut off.

Currently Its doing what I want it to do, but it's not cutting off at a certain voltage.

It will cut off at a certain voltage but that voltage is too low for your vehicle, you need something with adjustable voltage so it can be setup to suit

Who did the install?

...My battery is 4 years old which could also be the issue.....
That's getting up in age for the normal automotive battery, more so if it's subjected to high temperatures.

It will cut off at a certain voltage but that voltage is too low for your vehicle, you need something with adjustable voltage so it can be setup to suit

Who did the install?
Originally it was done by someone but they didn't do a good job so took it to Strathfield car and Audio, they've been really helpful and great.

How do I know what the ideal voltage cut off is for my vehicle ?

That's getting up in age for the normal automotive battery, more so if it's subjected to high temperatures.
The battery could be newer i'm not too sure since it's a used car, but I haven't had any battery issues before the camera. the engine always seems to start instantly.

Probably around 12.2v, the Cell Power will let it run down to 11.6v, too low for your car

Where are you located?

The installer was saying the problem was my car only had an option of keeping the camera on 24/7 or off

I think what he is trying to tell you is that you can either have this wired to a constant (12v) hot lead,which will kill your battery, or to a switched supply ( off when the car is off). Which is correct unless you have a Battery discharge preventor like a Power Magic Pro, a Vico Power Plus or a Lukas model installed. Those devices will allow you to power the cameras with the car off for a specific amount of time or voltage drop of the cars battery.

Probably around 12.2v, the Cell Power will let it run down to 11.6v, too low for your car

Where are you located?

I feel I should also clarify, currently if I drive the car every day or two, everything is perfectly fine. If I leave the car for 3+ days thats when the battery goes flat.

Is there a possibility the 12.2v could be too low for my car ?
My fear is that I buy the Vico and that doesn't solve the solution.

I'm located in Sydney NSW.

I think what he is trying to tell you is that you can either have this wired to a constant (12v) hot lead,which will kill your battery, or to a switched supply ( off when the car is off). Which is correct unless you have a Battery discharge preventor like a Power Magic Pro, a Vico Power Plus or a Lukas model installed. Those devices will allow you to power the cameras with the car off for a specific amount of time or voltage drop of the cars battery.
Thats exactly what they said !

So if I have to buy a battery discharge preventer is there one which is better than the other, or is the Vico the way to go ?

Do I also have to buy one for each camera, or can I run two cameras of one ?

Finally where is the best place to buy the recommended Power Plus from ?

Ok so battery health is probably ok if it goes several days before it's a problem, running the cameras constantly though is very heavy on the hardware, memory cards won't last and it won't do the cameras any favors, will eventually kill your car battery even with a cutout

What area are you located in?

Ok so battery health is probably ok if it goes several days before it's a problem, running the cameras constantly though is very heavy on the hardware, memory cards won't last and it won't do the cameras any favors, will eventually kill your car battery even with a cutout

What area are you located in?

Yeah i'd rather have the camera last a few years.

I'm located in Sydney west but happy to drive anywhere if need be.

If I get the Vico do I still need the cell power ?

Do I also have to buy one for each camera, or can I run two cameras of one ?

I see that the Vico is rated at 1 amp, jokiin would be able to tell you if it will run both SG cameras. I see he is also asking where you are located......I think he is volunteering to help you with this problem ;)

What exact Kia model and year do you have and who is your installer ?

Back