Car battery voltage.

ig2205

Reaction score
Country
Poland
After starting the engine, the camera does not work.
After covering a route and restarting the engine, it works.
Could low battery voltage in my car cause the camera to not turn on?

Are you using a hardwire kit? If so is it the one sold for this cam?

Sometimes when starting a car the battery voltage drops too low for a cam to boot up properly. Many cams have a "boot delay" option in the menu to compensate for this. Not sure if the B1W has that, but if it does give it a try.

Phil

I do not use the hardwire kit, the camera is plugged into the socket in the trunk and it was always good.

If it worked correctly before now then something has changed. Check for good electrical connections at the plug and at the cam. If you have it a tiny spray of electric contact cleaner may help- be sure it evaporates before powering. If you don't have that then plugging and unplugging the connections several times may help; no extra force needed for this.

To verify that the cam is not malfunctioning take it inside and try powering it with a phone charger. If it works reliably doing that several times then your problem will be somewhere in the power supply in the car. To test that, unplug the cam, start the car, then plug the cam in. If the cam then starts and boots properly when tried several times the trouble will probably be on the 12V side of things. If your car battery is near it's end you will have to replace it soon anyway so I would go ahead and do that after all this.

If the new battery doesn't solve the problem then try a car phone charger. If that works then the cam PS has gone bad. Normally they either work or do not work, but sometimes they fail slowly giving this result. It is very unlikely that the sd card is causing this but now try a known good one instead. If you are still stuck then resetting the cam or reflashing the firmware are all that is left to try.

Phil

After starting the engine, the camera does not work.
After covering a route and restarting the engine, it works.
Could low battery voltage in my car cause the camera to not turn on?
Try with another Micro USB cigarette lighter? 5V 1A output is okay for B1W!

I do not use the hardwire kit, the camera is plugged into the socket in the trunk and it was always good.
A 12 Volt to 5 Volt power adapter usually provides stable power until the voltage on the car's battery drops to 9 Volts, perhaps you have some kind of malfunction of the adapter itself, or problems in the wires

Back