Car insurance discounts?

BCoz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone know if there's been any progress with insurance companies in the USA offering discounts for having a dash cam? If that's to happen then dash cam usage will really take off. It makes no sense to me why insurance companies haven't embraced it yet. It will cut down on investigation costs and make things easier for everyone.

Just asked my agent about it earlier this week - nothing.

The issue they have is people getting a camera for the discount then removing it. If something was a permanent part of the vehicle there might be a better chance of a discount happening.

Nothing in USA unless it is an anti theft device.

DT MI is correct. That will never happen because there is no way for them to know it is always on. The cameras can fail and people not get them repaired...they can turn them off etc..
Has that happened in another country?

Also, be aware. IF an insurer gives you a discount for the camera, they will now view it, and all associated footage, as their property & will expect to see all raw files every time you make a claim.
If you cannot/will not provide footage, they could assume you've been up to no good & so may void your policy.
Not saying this will happen - but it seems the most likely.
Insurer would assume that having a cam watch over your every journey should make you a better driver, after all, they are now looking over your shoulder all the time.

My experience with insurers in the UK is that the few who are willing to offer a discount are way more expensive any way. I'd rather declare the cam as a mod and be able to offer up footage as and when I want.

One incentive for having a dashcam would be if the insurance company gave you a break on deductible if you show them footage.

If a discount ever happens it will be as a whole; for instance a car manufactured with a dashcam might have a cheaper premium than a car that doesn't, but nothing that says specifically you'll get a lower premium if you add one.

I do like what lacibaci said and it's an idea that should be explored. Though it would probably end up being worded as any other reward you see "reward for providing information that ends with the capture of..." Meaning you'd have to provide evidence that was in your favor (aka in the favor of the insurance carriers pocket) and then maybe you'd get a small savings on your premium the following month etc. If you provide evidence that makes them pay out....

I could see something where you could have a lower excess (deductible), or no loss of any no claim bonuses etc if you can produce video to support your claim

Last edited:
Let's be honest, many cases seem to be he said, she said...your word against theirs...no witnesses...50/50.

And 50/50 doesn't mean I pay my repairs, you pay yours, it means total cost of all repairs etc split down the middle.
So, with potential costs running into thousands, would it really hurt an insurance company to offer a financial incentive to anyone who comes forward with video evidence? (even if I stopped and offered footage as an independent witness).
Heck, no doubt the non-fault insurer would load this cost onto the other company anyway!

I've submitted my dashcam footage to my insurance company (state farm in CA) twice now for accidents that were not my fault.

Insurance company was able to reimburse me my deductible.

Worth it!

I've submitted my dashcam footage to my insurance company (state farm in CA) twice now for accidents that were not my fault.

Insurance company was able to reimburse me my deductible.

Worth it!

Same here. What was even more surprising was that the State Trooper gave the other driver a moving violation after the fact. Saved my insurance rates from going up.

I just got a letter from my company, saying i will be getting 300 DKkr back in june, but no mention if it was related to me partly capturing myself getting rear ended in October.
To be honest i think its a general thing, but it is nice they dont just pocket the money now or get free Teslas for the management.

If I didn't have a cam & some toolbag smashed into me, I'd be so glad of someone stepping forward as a witness & offering good footage, proving I wasn't at fault, that I'd give them a decent reward for being good citizens. After all, they've just saved me hundreds on my excess as well as future premium increases.

My bump last week > link < looked set to cause me a headache because one of our other cars' insurance was due for renewal in mid-May and I had just received the reminder (£248).

I spoke to my insurer about it the day after my bump, explaining that the renewal quote was no longer valid due to my 'claim' and, worse still, the bump had only just happened which meant I couldn't officially answer the question as to whether it was decided by the insurers to be an 'at fault' or 'not at fault' claim until the insurers have argued among themselves.

My insurer responded with something like:
'Ah, yes, that's awkward. We normally price the policy renewal to assume a worst-case scenario for the outstanding claim, then refund the difference once the blame has been assigned........Let me go and speak to the claims team....'
They then cam back and said something like:
'The claims team have seen your dashcam footage and in this (unusual) instance are happy to renew your insurance on the assumption that it will not be an 'at fault' claim.........I've entered one non-fault claim into our records and your renewal cost will be £248'.

Yes, you're reading that correctly: the renewal price for our other car didn't change.

has anyone been able to call their insurance in the USA and get a discount for to dashcams and argue that other countries get discounts so why can't we??

Definitely no insurance discount here in BC Canada either, but it did make a claim easier as I had footage of sitting at a red light for 20s before being rearended. Submitted it by e-mail, deductible waived immediately. The lack of hassle there makes having a cam totally worth it.

has anyone been able to call their insurance in the USA and get a discount for to dashcams and argue that other countries get discounts so why can't we??
Every time mine come up for renewal I have that discussion with my agent. It's not going to happen in the foreseeable future. :(

At least my insurance company instigated profit sharing, i just got 400 DKkr from them in spite of the not any fault of mine crash i had last october.

And they did like my dashcam footage though i dident have any from my rear camera, but the front camera was enuff and the side camera footage a bonus.

But still no discounts for dashcams here.

I will have to do my annual insurance company search soon, you should do that every year as you might otherwise be cheating yourself.
Same goes for the mortgage on your house, there might be cheaper guys out there.

Online databases / sites should be able to help narrow the search down.

Back