Car insurance question, separate policies (hypothetical)

DashcamDPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119 Pro, Mio Mivue 508 for the work van
Say you have two cars, with completely separate insurance policies (i.e. not multicar with the same company), lets say you have 9 years no claims on your main policy for your more expensive car and you have a cheap runaround car with hardly any no claims on its policy, some idiot crashes into you in your cheap runaround car. Obviously you go through your insurance to claim and to ease some complications we'll say it's a straight forward claim ruled in your favour, and you may or may not lose your little no claims if it is or isn't protected. NOW... You come to renew insurance on the other car further down the line, obviously you haven't claimed on this car's policy so you definitely can declare you now have 10 years no claims, should you declare the crash that you've had on the cheap car even though it's on your other policy (and it was obviously a non-fault)?

The reason I'm asking here is purely curiosity, nothing more, and also because of an interesting fact: I've been told in some cases when a person rings up their own insurer to ask a question like this purely out of curiosity, the insurer then increases the premium the following year just for asking the question despite no incident!!

I would say it depends on how the insurance company asks the question. If they ask have you had any other insurance claims (home / other auto ect.) then it's best to answer truthfully. Insurance companies can see other claims made under your name IF they put forth the effort to look. Well they can here in the US at least. If the claim on the beater was not your fault then it should not count against you anyways.

If you answer no and they find out later you were untruthful, they might instantly cancel the policy and it could be borderline insurance fraud.

As to the 2nd part of the post, I've never heard of this before. I contact my insurance frequently to check on discounts ect and my insurance usually goes down once a year or so. I have no claims, no tickets and get multi car discount along with a few other discounts as well.

Yeah it's all databased here so they could find out just from name/address, Its just that I'm sure the wording in the questions can be open to misinterpretation when asking if a policy holder has had "an accident within the last 5 years", and here they also specify "even if you haven't made a claim" so as to assess your "risk", which I think is where most people would say they haven't, if they haven't claimed, as there's genuinely no way the insurer would technically be able to find out.

As for the second part, I'm sure its a rare thing, but it was something I saw on a TV documentary here about car insurance increases and the frustrations of people being charged higher premiums upon renewal despite having no incidents and technically more claim-free experience and it came about that certain insurers were using general enquiries as an increased "risk factor" and judging that when someone asks about crashes, that "maybe they've had one that they're not disclosing"

asking if a policy holder has had "an accident within the last 5 years", and here they also specify "even if you haven't made a claim" so as to assess your "risk", which I think is where most people would say they haven't, if they haven't claimed, as there's genuinely no way the insurer would technically be able to find out.

If you have not made a claim then I think you are fine saying no. If you made a claim with the other insurance then I think you'd need to answer yes.

An example is I hit a curb a while back when turning into a parking spot. It scuffed up my wheel. Technically speaking it's an accident but no claim was made against anyone so if I were asked that same question I would answer no..

I thought you said in the 1st post that a claim was made on the beater through a different insurance company but I may have misread it.

I thought you said in the 1st post that a claim was made on the beater through a different insurance company but I may have misread it.

Yeah that's correct, when renewing the cheaper runaround car's insurance naturally I'd have to say I've had a no-fault accident and made a claim as it was with that particular car, even if it was through the other party's insurance,

But my main car and it's own policy would be incident-free, would I still have to say I've had a crash when renewing this one's policy even though it would have been on the separate policy, the only connecting factor being myself?

I would say yes you need to state the other accident under that circumstance. If the insurance company checks and they find it you risk getting cancelled.

I would make it clear that the other accident was no fault..

Say you have two cars, with completely separate insurance policies (i.e. not multicar with the same company), lets say you have 9 years no claims on your main policy for your more expensive car and you have a cheap runaround car with hardly any no claims on its policy, some idiot crashes into you in your cheap runaround car. Obviously you go through your insurance to claim and to ease some complications we'll say it's a straight forward claim ruled in your favour, and you may or may not lose your little no claims if it is or isn't protected. NOW... You come to renew insurance on the other car further down the line, obviously you haven't claimed on this car's policy so you definitely can declare you now have 10 years no claims, should you declare the crash that you've had on the cheap car even though it's on your other policy (and it was obviously a non-fault)?

The reason I'm asking here is purely curiosity, nothing more, and also because of an interesting fact: I've been told in some cases when a person rings up their own insurer to ask a question like this purely out of curiosity, the insurer then increases the premium the following year just for asking the question despite no incident!!

Right the replies you have received are from someone in the USA so without being rude you must discount their advice. My motor policy like several I have looked at has this written in there :-

"Changes you must tell us about -
You or any other person who may drive the car
Is involved in any accident or has a vehicle damaged or
stolen, whether covered by this policy or not"

I'll go one step further...say you get tapped up the rear and there was no damage, you should advise your insurers for "info purposes only" and when your other car insurance comes up for renewal you should tell them too and say you made a "for info purposes only" notification under your other policy.

"whether covered by this policy or not"

problem solved :)

I know they always say that you should always notify "for info purposes" but this is basically so they can milk more money out of you by considering you more of a crash risk. Should I tell my insurer about the time I cracked my testicles on the corner of the counter at mcdonalds? :D

problem solved :)

I know they always say that you should always notify "for info purposes" but this is basically so they can milk more money out of you by considering you more of a crash risk. Should I tell my insurer about the time I cracked my testicles on the corner of the counter at mcdonalds? :D
I work in Insurance so I can't act dumb ;)

If you told me that about your balls and McDs I'd call you a ****ing idiot :ROFLMAO:

Back