Car mount for SJ4000

maestrosteve

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody.

I have seen the car mount suction cup thing that everyone sells to use this camera as a dash cam, and it is being sold as the correct thing to use. I was watching a youtube GoPro video and saw someone mount their camera in a car using a small double sided tape mounting bracket and the camera just snapped into it.
I don't own a SJ4000 yet, but I am going to buy one and am just planning ahead.

I intend to use my SJ4000 in 2 different cars, and while the suction cup mount makes it easy to move from car to car, there are some states in the US that do not allow mounting brackets of any kind on a windshield, whether they hold GPS, cellphones, etc.., and you can be ticketed and fined. The State's reasoning behind it, is that it somewhat blocks the drivers view of the road, even if we feel it really doesn't. I'm just looking for an alternative.

Has anybody used a different kind of mount successfully. I'd love a clip-in kind of mount to use behind the rear view mirror where it is up high and out of my view.

Thanks for any input.

Hello everybody.

I have seen the car mount suction cup thing that everyone sells to use this camera as a dash cam, and it is being sold as the correct thing to use. I was watching a youtube GoPro video and saw someone mount their camera in a car using a small double sided tape mounting bracket and the camera just snapped into it.
I don't own a SJ4000 yet, but I am going to buy one and am just planning ahead.

I intend to use my SJ4000 in 2 different cars, and while the suction cup mount makes it easy to move from car to car, there are some states in the US that do not allow mounting brackets of any kind on a windshield, whether they hold GPS, cellphones, etc.., and you can be ticketed and fined. The State's reasoning behind it, is that it somewhat blocks the drivers view of the road, even if we feel it really doesn't. I'm just looking for an alternative.

Has anybody used a different kind of mount successfully. I'd love a clip-in kind of mount to use behind the rear view mirror where it is up high and out of my view.

Thanks for any input.
There's a clip in mount shown in Techmon's review at around 19 minutes: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/3/the-sj4000-action-camera-review.html
Was this the one you were looking for?

Frank

There's a clip in mount shown in Techmon's review at around 19 minutes: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/3/the-sj4000-action-camera-review.html
Was this the one you were looking for?

Frank

Thanks for the reply Frank. Any input I can get is much appreciated.

That is the suction cup mount that everyone sells for this camera. That is not what I'm talking about, although it may be the only option available.
The mount that I saw in a GoPro video showing how to use that camera as a dash cam (and I might have to find it again and put the link here to show people), just has the camera clip to come kind of flat clip that was attached to the windshield with double sided tape. It might be the same kind of clip used to connect the camera to a curved object, like a helmet, except the clip was flat and not curved. Not owning the camera at the moment, I'm not really sure of the kind of clip used, but at first glance, that's how it appeared to me.

Steve

I found the youtube video:

Watch at about 3:50 where he discusses the various mounts (the small stick on mount, not the suction cup mount that he also shows), and at around 9:00 you see him connect the GoPro to the mount that I am talking about. Again, I don't own the SJ4000, I'm about to get one, and is this mount available for the SJ4000? Is this even one of the mounts that come with it?

Last edited:
It's a gopro mount, lots of copies both flat and curved available cheap on eBay

I just received my SJCAM SJ4000. Even though I ordered the suction cup mount which won't be here for a few weeks, I did find those flat mounts in the package. I have what I need. Now I just have to stick it in a good place.

H
I just received my SJCAM SJ4000. Even though I ordered the suction cup mount which won't be here for a few weeks, I did find those flat mounts in the package. I have what I need. Now I just have to stick it in a good place.

Did you use it with the alternative mount you were planning? How did it work out, can you share as I'm planning to do the same. Thanks!

You can try to mount it to the rear view mirror, the sj4000 brings two "glue clips" one for each car

H

Did you use it with the alternative mount you were planning? How did it work out, can you share as I'm planning to do the same. Thanks!

I posted a reply to you yesterday, and I see it's not here. Don't know why.
Anyway, I'll reply again.

I have 2 cars, I use both the suction cup mount and the stick-on mount, 1 in each car. The suction cup mount is being used in a car that I'm going to trade-in in about a month, so I didn't want to waste the stick-on, but I will use it when I get the new car. It is quick to mount and unmount, is very solid, and I don't have to worry about suction cup issues, like if it is too cold outside or if the windshield is cold, because the suction cup gets rigid and less flexible, can fail and then I'll be watching my camera fall of and hit the dashboard.
Additionally, the stick-on mount is very small, almost invisible from outside the car. I wouldn't want to leave the suction cup mount attached to the windshield all the time, because then someone will know something electronic is being used in car, and there is potential for break-in.

Good luck with your decision.
I'm enjoying this camera.

Steve

Back