Car overtaking stupidity nearly kills them

Must've been very tempting to just leave them in the ditch.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Trucks in Australia are fitted with speed limiters by law. He was unable to go any faster. The morons behind just need to be patient rather than dead.

Some people drive as if overtaking is compulsory.
I just noticed the posts by the side of the road. I wonder if he hit one, or if avoiding it played a part in losing control.

I agree.

I am amazed when i drive to my friends house or my sisters house ( about a 40 km drive ) and every one coming up from behind is not overtaking me, and i am almost never below the max limit but i also do my best not to go more than 5 km/h above it.

Why is he bothering to try and overtake if they both are maxing out their speed limiters? With speed limiters so closely matched, it could take 5 minutes to complete the pass.

Why is he bothering to try and overtake if they both are maxing out their speed limiters? With speed limiters so closely matched, it could take 5 minutes to complete the pass.
It can certainly feel like it.
Oh why didn't I think of overtaking on the inside when I was stuck behind these two? o_O

I just noticed the posts by the side of the road. I wonder if he hit one, or if avoiding it played a part in losing control.

Looks like he was trying to time it between the white posts. He swerved too quickly on the soft edges and you saw the result. He is very lucky he didn't roll the car when it slid back onto the soft stuff.

I'm sure he ended up with soft stuff in his pants :eek:

I suspect the driver was struggling with the grip on the grassy area, giving it everything to try and get ahead. Of course, as soon as he hit solid tarmac, he would've had limited grip due to the mud in his tyres then suddenly - wham, he's now got full grip but going the wrong direction too fast & starts overcompensating...
You often see it in winter - straight lines are OK but the slitest curve in the road or even camber...

Oh why didn't I think of overtaking on the inside when I was stuck behind these two? o_O
Been in that situation a few times - A1 and A34 are favourites. When you're sat in a looooong queue of slooooow moving traffic & you get to a point where you can see miles ahead (top of a hill looking down & up the other side) and there's solid traffic with just 2 HGVs neck and neck at the front.
Whilst I appreciate that one will always be faster (due to different loads/weights, there needs to be something done about the way they overtake with a less than 1mph difference.
I was always under the impression that they have limiters set to a max of 62mph but the industry doesn't like them doing more than 56? If this is the case then they should be allowed to accellerate up to their limiter for, say, no more than 1 minute every 15mins before dropping back to normal cruising speed. I know there's EU legislation also at play - but that's a case of 'do as I say & not as I do'. I've lost count of the number of times I've come across foreign trucks doing well over 70 (in my car) and when I've been in the bus, they pull away & leave me standing like I've stalled, even though my foot has been flat to the floor & I'm bouncing off the limiter.

Patience is something you admire in the person behind you, not ahead of you.

I heard a line from a stand-up comedian years ago, might have been George Carlin. He said, "have you ever noticed that everyone you pass is an idiot and everyone that passes you is a maniac?"

:D:D:D

Perhaps because you know the inside is a narrow hardened verge with a drainage channel, safety fence, parking laybys, bridge abutments etc in the way??

I heard a line from a stand-up comedian years ago, might have been George Carlin. He said, "have you ever noticed that everyone you pass is an idiot and everyone that passes you is a maniac?"

:D Yup, that's from Carlin On Campus 1984.

and all your stuff is crap, but everyone else's stuff is sh**!
(also carlin)

There called Drop Kicks !

My father was driving in the mountains one day ( 4x4 ) when some young drop kick with his family in the car zoomed past him @ like 100kmh on a road one should drive at 50kmh ...
Anyhow about 5 minute after being passed my father came upon the same car precariously situated over a cliff ...
Not one to hold a grudge or see a family die ( toppling down over 20 meters to a river ) , my father pulled up , took out some rope , and pulled the car to safety .

Without so much as a thank you , the drop kick drove off !
I don't know that I would be that caring ! Kudo's to my dad though ..
He has saved a few people over the decades here in Oz , and most of those lives saved were drop kicks !

Back