Car Server

Orac

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello all. Noob here. Just picked up the 750S-2CH.

Unfortunately I cannot get a WiFi signal where I park my auto, but an idea did occur to me that might at least catch a thief stealing my dashcam, and I was wondering if it has been done or is feasible.

Idea: A car server that is securely and covertly mounted that can connect to the cam wirelessly, and record a constant stream of files (the 1-minute ~100MB files), or generate its own files from the live video. This way, if the cam is stolen, at least I'd have video right up until that moment and perhaps be able to submit evidence to the police so they can do their usual job of not caring at all about crimes like this. At least I'd get to 'care' about it ;)

It only need be powerful enough to capture files a little faster than they are produced, so something like a Raspberry Pi would do the trick, although something with a SATA port would be preferable (many SBCs now have). I could add a small 4-bay SSD NAS or otherwise redundant storage method of at least 1TB.

Ideas / suggestions / fatal-flaws?

there's a thread on here already from someone trying to stream to a PI, initial tests would suggest it's not up to the task

Reactions: RLS
there's a thread on here already from someone trying to stream to a PI, initial tests would suggest it's not up to the task

Well, that's great news, and thanks!

I'd definitely go up to something more powerful like an Intel NUC in that case. Luckily for me, my vehicle is a PHEV and apparently when the 12V battery gets low, the main battery (8.9kWh) will charge it back up. That's the idea anyway.

Gonna be a fun project, and I'm very glad someone else is thinking of it as well.

Reactions: RLS
any updates from OP so far?

Hello all. Noob here. Just picked up the 750S-2CH.

Unfortunately I cannot get a WiFi signal where I park my auto, but an idea did occur to me that might at least catch a thief stealing my dashcam, and I was wondering if it has been done or is feasible.

Idea: A car server that is securely and covertly mounted that can connect to the cam wirelessly, and record a constant stream of files (the 1-minute ~100MB files), or generate its own files from the live video. This way, if the cam is stolen, at least I'd have video right up until that moment and perhaps be able to submit evidence to the police so they can do their usual job of not caring at all about crimes like this. At least I'd get to 'care' about it ;)

It only need be powerful enough to capture files a little faster than they are produced, so something like a Raspberry Pi would do the trick, although something with a SATA port would be preferable (many SBCs now have). I could add a small 4-bay SSD NAS or otherwise redundant storage method of at least 1TB.

Ideas / suggestions / fatal-flaws?

Hi,
How do the thieves steal your camera? Do they actually smash your vehicles front window to take it? If so it is completely useless to them. If they do this then the Police should do their job. There is no answer for useless Police.
Sorry mate can't help.
Regards
Mike

A bottle of tainted vodka in the car is better. He will never steal again.

Where would you imagine putting the server? In the car? That wouldn't be a good idea if the car got jacked..

Back