Car stickers saying "Dash cam in Operation" - good or bad idea?

benje302

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A118 / B40 (Foxoffer) with 32GB Samsung EVO
All

I have started seeing cars with window stickers saying things like "smile - you are on camera" or "dash cam recording" I can see the odd positive but a major negative.

Positive - don't tailgate me (drive too close)

Negative - break into my car and steal my camera !

I personally would not have one as I have gone for a stealth install (well stealth as I can)

Any thoughts ?

Ben

Doh - my bad. Thanks for the link.

If you are concerned about legal liability a sticker could be seen as providing that. Just imitate manufacturers. Make the sticker so small no one can read it or notice it. There is a reason fine print is so small and it is not because they want to save ink or paper.

Majority of drivers don't give a toss. when I've uploaded a clip of someone on my tail I get comments like "well, if you weren't driving like a granny" - what difference does that make? tailgaiting is still dangerous & driving right up my @rse will only make me want to drive much slower.
Since I see more & more drivers on their mobiles, I have to assume that the majority assume they will never get caught by plod. If they assume this then they probably also assume that plod wouldn't give a monkeys if you were to show them the footage.
For me, keep the cams hidden, let the loonies dig their own graves.

I prefer stealth. Don't like any attention.

One thing I can't decide on is the LCD lights on the Mobius. I like knowing it's working, but my better half mentioned to me that the cam in the Prius sits lower and for the first time she realized it had lights; she can't see hers in the Forte.

I have blocked the rear red led on my mobius but left the yellow on display so i know the camera is working.

I have blocked the rear red led on my mobius but left the yellow on display so i know the camera is working.

I did the opposite with my front Mobius in my van. You can't see the red LED from the outside but at night the yellow one is like a flashing neon sign. I use it in the daytime though, so I placed a square of black electrical tape on the PS adapter and switch it to the yellow LED on the cam at night.

No stickers or warnings needed here in the US; not legally needed to record video in public (Glik v Cuniffe 1st Appeals 2011) but audio and in-car recording are another matter -state and Local laws may apply to them. My personal preference is stealth- the recordings are just as good if I need them and nobody else need know about them. I have on occasion silently mouthed "Dash cam" while looking someone square in the eye as I put my finger on the cam- they look closely, see the cam, and they quickly look away and behave well after that.

With the proliferation of store and home security cams, if you're in an urban setting chances are good that you're on cam somewhere so mine won't be the only one; no need to advertise to the wise but the stupid will soon find out how stupid they are.

Phil

That small blinking red LED is my confirmation that camera is working as it should. Specifically instruct wife to look when she glance at the rear view mirror.

Becasue the red LED is quite recessed, I find it hard to see so I put a drop of UHU rubber solution glue over it, this acts like a fibre optic, transmitting the light along to the end. Being a rounded end to the drop means that the LED is more visible from off centre. Looking at it from the rear, it is quite bright as well.

If you are concerned about legal liability a sticker could be seen as providing that. Just imitate manufacturers. Make the sticker so small no one can read it or notice it. There is a reason fine print is so small and it is not because they want to save ink or paper.

Except in TV or radio ads where the fine print is audible and/or visual and the speed is dual purpose. First it falls exactly in line with your comment but it also saves money on advertising dollars. Gotta love double-dipping!

Back