Car theft caught on Dashcam video

Lets hope "5-0" can do something with the faces of those punks.

New Orleans has never been a place where you can relax your guard against theft and assaults :rolleyes: That vid should be able to get enhanced well enough to get details which might be useful to catch these creeps, especially if their photos are on file from a previous arrest. Facial recognition technology is being rapidly embraced and used by the Police here in the US now, and locally it has resulted in several recent armed robbery arrests which might otherwise never have happened. Some of the security cam vids showing the robberies looked pretty bad but it was enough. I think the process is becoming more automated as in the past doing things like this was usually reserved only for high-profile cases.I do worry a bit about that being somewhat invasive of privacy but I'm all for catching crooks.

Phil

That definitely wasn't just an optimist was it?! They've had their eyes on that truck/premises for days.

Seriously , tie a rope around their testes , connect to a lorry with incredible torque .

Stop them from polluting the earth .

New Orleans has never been a place where you can relax your guard against theft and assaults :rolleyes: That vid should be able to get enhanced well enough to get details which might be useful to catch these creeps, especially if their photos are on file from a previous arrest. Facial recognition technology is being rapidly embraced and used by the Police here in the US now, and locally it has resulted in several recent armed robbery arrests which might otherwise never have happened. Some of the security cam vids showing the robberies looked pretty bad but it was enough. I think the process is becoming more automated as in the past doing things like this was usually reserved only for high-profile cases.I do worry a bit about that being somewhat invasive of privacy but I'm all for catching crooks.

Phil
Louisiana doesn't require (or even issue) front plates... but this is a 2 channel dashcam. where's the rear view showing the plates on the black truck?

edit: just read the article. the black truck was indeed also stolen. from a cop no less... but that the silver truck's windows were open and the keys were inside. well DUH. if i were the silver truck owner's insurance company, i wouldn't pay a dime for that.

Louisiana doesn't require (or even issue) front plates... but this is a 2 channel dashcam. where's the rear view showing the plates on the black truck?

This is something that has to change. I am surprised there are still some states without front plates. If a car charges a police officer or civilian do you think they will be able to turn around and get the plate as it drives off.

L
but that the silver truck's windows were open and the keys were inside. well DUH. .

This is a very dangerous and stupid practise. Some drivers here leave the engine running in the winter to get coffee. We had a case in 2011 where a snowplow operator left the engine running to when he was in a Tim Horton's and a homeless person drove off in the plow. A police officer pursuing the stolen vehicle was killed.

Back