Carcam K5000 - can quality be improved by adjusting lens?

graspol

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi All,
here are some of my daytime video's of my CarCam K5000. I probably have a cheap knockoff, so I'm not sure where I stand picture-quality-wise.
I was wondering if you could comment on the quality, and if the quality could be improved by adjusting the lens.
Many thanks!

Re: Carcam K5000 - can quality be improved by adjusting lens

what are the specs of your camera?

CarCam K5000
5 MP CMOS 1/4 " sensor
Video: 1080 FHD (1920 x 1080) / 1080P (1440 x 1080) / 720P (1280 x 720) @ 30 fps
Will that do, or do you need more?

In my opinion, specially the license plates are not properly rendered

I'm not sure adjusting the lens would work, not always easy to tell from a YouTube sample how it compares to the original

you can download a sample from mine if you like, maybe not the best example as it's late afternoon driving into the sun and I had night mode on which washes the picture out a little, download is 110MB http://www.mediafire.com/?jx721qa9ge1mad9 have a look compared to your original file and see what you think

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, I will do so tonight.

The lens is adjustable when you open the camera.
The steps are listed here on dashcamtalk (http://dashcamtalk.com/carcam-k2000/)
I'm a little reluctant to do so, I'm afraid I might break something or can't get it together.

As far as the movie: it should be original, because I uploaded the original one. you never know what youtube does with it of course, but to my naked eye it seems it's the same for quality.
your sample movie is much much better focused / less blurry when it come to +/- 10 meters to infinity.
What kind of camera / mode was this shot with?

I know it's not the best camera out there, but I was just wondering if adjusting the lens like explained in http://dashcamtalk.com/carcam-k2000/ could improve the quality

adjusting the lens is only going to help if it's actually out of focus, doesn't happen very often but does happen, if it's just lower quality components used you probably can't do a lot about that

jokiin said:
adjusting the lens is only going to help if it's actually out of focus, doesn't happen very often but does happen, if it's just lower quality components used you probably can't do a lot about that
Yes, you are totally right! That's what I'm trying to find out... which of the two is the case for me.
This comes from the same camer, but doesn't seem to be close to my movies...

You can download a program like MacMedia Info - not sure of one on Windose - and then drag a clip into the program to see what the video codec looks like.

A lot of these cheaper cameras are no where near 720p resolution or even 1080p. Not sure why, just low low bitrate and crappy internals I think.

also one of my problems / question is: it seems the image is clear (focussed) on the outside, and not in the center.
I think it should be the other way around, the center should be focussed and clear, and the outside could be a bit blurry.
I was wondering if this is a focus problem, or a cheap meterial problem

graspol said:
also one of my problems / question is: it seems the image is clear (focussed) on the outside, and not in the center.
I think it should be the other way around, the center should be focussed and clear, and the outside could be a bit blurry.
I was wondering if this is a focus problem, or a cheap meterial problem

you could try playing with it and see if you could get a better result, it does sound like it's possibly a hardware limitation though

The problem with "playing" means that I have to dismantle the unit, to adjust the lens.
I'm a little reluctant to do so, because the lens unit is not made for this. I'm affraid to break it and than I have a much bigger problem.
On the other hand, if the result can be improved drastically, I might want to try it...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brandjuh Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you) 0
Back