Card errors, inconsistent recording, other issues.

Midas

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I found out recently that the camera stopped recording almost a year ago, with no warnings or card errors, while showing the recording light blinking. I only found out after I hit a deer and went to check the recording and found the last file was from late last year. Granted it was stupid of me to not check for so long, but this type of thing I'd assume would be more a set it and forget it device unless it actively showed problems/errors. Once I noticed it, fiddled with the camera for a moment, it started recording again, but since I was suspicious I checked it again a few days later and once again it stopped recording, now with an error. I tried formatting the SD card in the camera and with windows and it refuses to stop showing me Card Error/Full, despite the card showing no errors in windows and working fine, despite that I bought a new card that arrived today, popped it in, and it's showing the same message, reformatted in the camera, in windows, and even did an hour long slow format with the same problem. This camera seems to eat SD cards..

At this point I'm thinking I just have a defective camera, my other issue I've noticed is the screen goes blank when I plug in the GPS port, but it still records and seems to work fine otherwise, at least until this card error showed up. The third problem is that the supplied power cable broke, specifically the very tip where it plugs into the car's power port just broke apart when I pulled it out of the socket and the fuse and other insides flew out, I'm currently using a heavy duty shielded USB cable.

the GPS is plugged into the wrong port which is why the screen blacks out

power cable can be replaced no problem

what's the serial number of the camera, firmware version, and date of purchase?

what card did you have and what card did you replace it with?

the GPS is plugged into the wrong port which is why the screen blacks out

I'll double check next time

power cable can be replaced no problem

appreciated

what's the serial number of the camera, firmware version, and date of purchase?

SGGC-B15390565, SG20150926.V2 August 17, 2015

what card did you have and what card did you replace it with?

Silicon Power Elite 128gb, had it since mid 2016, replaced it with a new version of the same, the original supplied card went into protected mode a few months after purchase.

@Street Guardian USA will be able to arrange the power supply, Pier28 no longer exists for any service related stuff but we can sort that out for you no problem

That particular card I've never tested so not sure how suitable they are, I do know the regular Silicon Power cards are only rated up to 70°c whereas the cards we normally use are rated to 85°c, as memory cards they may be fine but I'm not sure how durable they are for long term use, do you have any other card you can test with? We also generally prefer cards that have error correcting capability rather than cards that just go to read only mode when they encounter a problem

I would suggest updating the firmware, this may help as there are a lot of card handling improvements in between the version you have and the current version, you can download the latest firmware from the support section of our website https://streetguardian.info/support

@Street Guardian USA will be able to arrange the power supply, Pier28 no longer exists for any service related stuff but we can sort that out for you no problem

That particular card I've never tested so not sure how suitable they are, I do know the regular Silicon Power cards are only rated up to 70°c whereas the cards we normally use are rated to 85°c, as memory cards they may be fine but I'm not sure how durable they are for long term use, do you have any other card you can test with? We also generally prefer cards that have error correcting capability rather than cards that just go to read only mode when they encounter a problem

I would suggest updating the firmware, this may help as there are a lot of card handling improvements in between the version you have and the current version, you can download the latest firmware from the support section of our website https://streetguardian.info/support

Oh I didn't know they went out of business, well I'm in Vermont so the climate here is fairly good even in the summer, on top of that, anytime I park the car when it's 80F+ I remove the camera from the mount and put a sunscreen in the window, so being hot isn't a problem. The new card I bought is the same model just from this year and it was having the same error, I'll scrounge around for another card to test, but I don't think it will have better results. What kind of SD cards would you suggest in the 128gb+ area? Also, is there any chance that updating the firmware could brick the camera? I'm worried about any potential issues regarding warranty, I can't remember how long it was good for.

Jon that was with Pier28 previously now runs Street Guardian USA so he will be able to look after you no problem

haven't had anyone kill a camera from updating firmware, it's a pretty safe process, instructions are included in the download, you're still on release version firmware and there have been a stack of fixes since then, see below and you'll see what I mean (your version is at the very bottom of the list)

Transcend or Samsung are the cards we mostly use

Code:
   ______              __    _____                 ___        
  / __/ /________ ___ / /_  / ___/_ _____ ________/ (_)__ ____
_\ \/ __/ __/ -_) -_) __/ / (_ / // / _ `/ __/ _  / / _ `/ _ \
/___/\__/_/  \__/\__/\__/  \___/\_,_/\_,_/_/  \_,_/_/\_,_/_//_/

/****************************************************************************************************

Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 (SGGCV2.bin), suits both V2 & V3 cameras
Settings menu display version number SG20xxxxxx.V2 and SG20xxxxxx.V3

/****************************************************************************************************
date: 2017-11-03
ver: SG20171103.V3 (Update 5) suits SG9665GC V2 and SG9665GC V3 cameras

01. Bugfix GPS data Knots/MPH/KMH conversion
02. Bugfix GPS speed no longer limited to 184kmh / 114 mph
03. Bugfix Auto white balance recovery

04. Add Selectable video Quality user menu option, settings Standard, Medium, High (default High)
05. Add Auto calibration function in low light situations

06. Delete Screen Saver OFF menu option

07. Update Menu layout from two page to single page to simplify access
08. Update SPI parameters

09. Adjust Motion detection sensitivity values
10. Adjust Post update system date default value
11. Change File save process, save previous plus current file if during first half of current recording, or current plus next file if during second half of current recording

date:2016-11-28
ver:SG20161128.V3 (Update 4) suits SG9665GC V2 and SG9665GC V3 cameras

download at http://bit.ly/SG9665GCV2V3U4

01. Bugfix REC LED behaviour when in standby
02. Bugfix OSD display alignment issue
03. Bugfix G-Sensor startup error
04. Bugfix GPS speed display error

05. Add Updated menu options for motion detection sensitivity
06. Add Updated menu options for contrast settings

07. Adjust Motion detect menu values
08. Adjust Contrast menu values
09. Adjust Version display information

10. Change Low Cut AE weighting values
11. Change Default AE setting to Center Weighted
12. Change Motion detect sensitivity default value
13. Change Low Cut AE table values
14. Change Center Weighted AE table weighting values
15. Change Audio recording mic setting

date:2016-06-29
ver:SG20160809.V2 (Update 3)

download at http://bit.ly/SG9665GCV2R3

01. Bugfix Duplicate frame error
02. Bugfix Speed problem which showed 4 digits when GPS signal is weak
03. Bugfix OSD display problem when LOGO is off
04. Bugfix GPS time updating problem when the signal is weak.
05. Bugfix GPS time updating problem during startup
06. Bugfix the text overlaps when all OSD options "on"
07. Bugfix Recalibrate motion detect range.
08. Bugfix Screen to not wake up when G-sensor triggered.
09. Bugfix G-Sensor calibration
10. Bugfix G-Sensor initilisation process

11. Add Function to display --- --- when no GPS signal when OSD speed menu is enabled
12. Add OSD speed display option with MPH & KMH & OFF options (default OFF).
13. Add Menu selectable options for AE Metering, LOW CUT, CENTER WEIGHTED, FULL FRAME (default FULL FRAME)
14. Add Loop recording icon to LCD display to show currently selected setting.
15. Add Auto format menu prompt when booting with exFAT memory card, choose yes to format, choose cancel to quit.
16. Add Single press for file save event including when screen is off.
17. Add HIGH/MIDDLE/LOW menu options in the " Record Audio" submenu

18. Change CENTER WEIGHTED and LOW CUT AE table values
19. Change Folder name to DCIM to add support for 3rd party iOS card reader access.
20. Change GPS to add analysis and filtration process, only approve time sync and location when received satellite signals from more than 4 satellites.
21. Change Factory default date to 2016/01/01
22. Change AUTO POWER OFF menu name to AUTO RESTART
23. Change Car no.position to the left corner of LCD display
24. Change Motion detect ICON to "M"
25. Change Car No.Function to support 11 characters.
26. Change Stored setting for time date and car No settings to protected memory area
27. Change Remove PC mode/webcam mode.
28. Change Enable and improve the GPS sync time function
29. Change Increase the motion detect field of view

date:2016-01-11
ver:SG20160111.V2 (update 2)

download at http://bit.ly/SG9665GCV2R2

01. Change image quality settings for low light situations
02. Improve the bootup process during power cut when starting the engine
03. Add reboot procedure if recording is stopped
04. Bugfix GPS offset problem
05. Bugfix audio issue

Date: 2015/11/09
Version: SG20151109.V2 (update 1)

download at http://bit.ly/SG9665GCV2R1

01. Solve boot delay problem (5s/15s/30s menu list)
02. Adjust Motion sensitivity ( low, middle and high)
03. Update SDK added support for more 64GB Micro SD cards
04. Add support for some 128GB cards (note 64GB and 128GB cards will not work until formatted FAT32)

*****************************************************************************************************
Date: 2015/9/26
Version: SG20150926.V2 (release version)

download at http://bit.ly/SG9665GCV2R0

01. Update bootloader
02. Restore the factory setting, time and date settings moved to protected memory area
03. Remove GPS automatic time updating (pending fix)

Ok so I found an old SD card, the camera didn't complain when I popped it in, formatted fine, updated the firmware, no memory errors with that. I tried the SP 128gb card again, camera didn't complain or have any errors either, formatted, and now it seems to be working. I'll keep testing things, hopefully the new firmware has everything fixed, if not, I'll update you guys. Could I get that replacement cord still? FYI I moved since I purchased the camera and I don't know if I updated it.

The firmware version you had before didn't officially support 128gb cards so the update certainly can't hurt

Just message Jon your details and he can arrange a new power cable for you

Back