card size limit for video recording

Bluecray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a 0805 and a cheap class 10 card 64mb off eBay, it recorded one trip fine, but it's now coming up with the above message. I've formatted the card again, but still no joy. Instructions say to use a class 6 card. (What's difference between class 6 and class 10 cards?)

What's wrong?

I've just bought a 0805 and a cheap class 10 card 64mb off eBay, it recorded one trip fine, but it's now coming up with the above message. I've formatted the card again, but still no joy. Instructions say to use a class 6 card. (What's difference between class 6 and class 10 cards?)

What's wrong?
format the card in NTFS

I just formatted "in camera"

try it again :) format in computer

The 'class' difference is mainly in the speed which data can be written to the card. While you may not need a higher class and higher speed it almost never hurts to have that ;) Plus most of the faster cards are better made because they have to be to operate faster.

Cheap cards are a no-no with dashcams because their true write speeds are often over-stated and some are poorly made with less capacity than stated too :( Stick with only the cards recommended on DCT for best results- we have no interest in that except in seeing you have a happy experience with your cam :cool:

Phil

99.9% chance that's a fake card, you can test it with h2testw to confirm

buy yourself a proper brand name (genuine) card and you should be good to go

How where do I test with h2testw please. (am a newbie here sorry)

download the software (google it, you'll find it straight away) put the card in your PC, delete anything that's on there now then test with the software, you can post the results here if you're not sure how to interpret them

Windows wanted to format card before I could run h2testw and it was unable to complete the format so I guess I've a iffy card?

Windows wanted to format card before I could run h2testw and it was unable to complete the format so I guess I've a iffy card?

fake is the word you're looking for, probably 4gb to 8gb in size with a fake allocation table to trick the device into seeing 64gb, they work until the point where the real memory runs out then they crash from that point on

To cut a long story short, I thought it wasn't working because it was a class 10 card (not class 6 as instructions requested) so I bought another one...

Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282101853271
There it says class 6 but he sent me a class 10 will that work....and that card looks better I think?

you're at least looking in the right price range now, that particular series in the Sandisk range though are not normally a good choice for dashcam use

I love this line in the description of the first one you bought.
"Cards will vary in capacity and speed as they are factory formatted in bulk and so real capacity will vary from 8GB to 64 GB"

I love this line in the description of the first one you bought.
"Cards will vary in capacity and speed as they are factory formatted in bulk and so real capacity will vary from 8GB to 64 GB"
nice, I didn't get to reading it but good to see they are so honest about their fake cards :p

you're at least looking in the right price range now, that particular series in the Sandisk range though are not normally a good choice for dashcam use

Whats a good card for dashcam use please??

Transcend, Samsung, any brand in their High Endurance series is usually fine, main thing to look out for is the card is genuine and suggest sticking with top tier brands and you should be ok

Back