Card write question

Anthony Adams

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone...

Nice place you have here.
Just found this site reading reviews about the dashcam I just purchased.
A SPYTEC G1W-C.
My question is this:
Regarding card write speed...
And the filming of 1080p dashcam video...
Is there any difference in the need for a 45MB/s 300x
As opposed to a a 90MB/s 600x...
I'm thinking 32Gig...
As I will only be interested in the last 5 minutes or so of video..
Looping will not bother me at all..
Thanks in advance...

Anthony

For 1080 video you want a class 6 card or better, "90MB/s 600x" does not guarantee class 6 or better so is insufficient as a specification.

Anything better than class 6 is unnecessary and will not produce better video, in fact most class 4 cards will work fine.

It says class 10 so should be fine.

Note that flash memory cards have a limit to the number of writes, around 1000 writes to each memory cell for that card. If you get a card twice the size then it will loop around half as often and so will last twice as long before wearing out. If you do a lot of driving then it is worth getting the larger cards.

I've got two of them in service.

Note that flash memory cards have a limit to the number of writes, around 1000 writes to each memory cell for that card....
To put this into real world terms consider that a 32GB card can record about 5.5 hours of G1W video at 1080p. Given that it will take 5500 hours of loop recording to reach the 1000 write 'limit' of the card.

If you drive 3 hours a day, 7 days a week the card will last roughly 1833 days, or 261 weeks, or slightly over 5 years. By then you'll likely have a new camera and 256GB cards will be available at your corner pub. :)

To put this into real world terms consider that a 32GB card can record about 5.5 hours of G1W video at 1080p. Given that it will take 5500 hours of loop recording to reach the 1000 write 'limit' of the card.

If you drive 3 hours a day, 7 days a week the card will last roughly 1833 days, or 261 weeks, or slightly over 5 years. By then you'll likely have a new camera and 256GB cards will be available at your corner pub. :)
Yes, while an 8GB card would last a little over 1 year and then 3.2 months into the second year when you have an accident and need the video you find that the files are all corrupted or non-existent! Or hopefully the camera reports an error and you just have to replace the card every year. Not sure which outcome is more likely?

Of course if you leave the camera recording over night, even if only on motion detect, the timescales are very different. 5500 / 24 / 31 = 7 months for a 32GB card.

Of course if you leave the camera recording over night, even if only on motion detect, the timescales are very different. 5500 / 24 / 31 = 7 months for a 32GB card.

And using an 8GB card the failure would occur in about 8 weeks. It's a matter of using the correct tool for the job - can't drive nails with a screwdriver.

Back