Cards: Subtle differences?

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
So is one better than the other? Same but different, both genuine SanDisk cards. Grey and white & red and white seem to be the design difference... Both arrived in genuine packaging.

20180308_102024.jpg

Thanks Jokiin.

I checked online and one site reported up to 48Mb speed but the packaging shows up to 80Mb on the white designs. Just seeking clarification...white1.jpgwhite2.jpg

My photography skills suck. I think I'll get one of those so I can "Take better pictures". :LOL:

Photography is my passion...

Flickr

Paul.
Yeah, macro is my second love after action sports:

1-Racing_1325.jpg

...which makes for fun shooting:

2-DYC_1215.jpg 3-Budweiser_1256_pan.jpg

...and with some long glass (800mm) these (same vantage point as the first):

4-Ellstrom_1476.jpg 5-Dodge_1305.jpg 6-Ellstrom_1179.jpg

I've never had any problems at all with the Samsung EVO cards in any device except one, and that was a device quirk. The 4Sight TODC2 doesn't like UHS cards in general. It loves the el-cheapo Class 10, non-UHS cards from the checkout counter at Micro Center. Go figure.

I haven't had great luck with any Sandisk cards below their Extreme Pro in any device.

I've never had any luck at all with Adata cards. It could just be me, but I've had a high failure rate. I've also had a pretty high failure rate with Transcend cards, despite their lofty reputation.

Richard

Last edited:
I've never had an issue with any Sandisk card and it used to be all I bought.

That said, I understand non are suitable for dashcam use part from the High Endurance variety.

That said, I understand non are suitable for dashcam use part from the High Endurance variety.

actually it's their entry level red/grey ultra cards that are the ones that are not ideal for dashcam use, the higher spec models are fine

As for me so far I haven't used or purchased any high endurance cards and have never had any trouble with the regular cards. The cards I use are Samsung EVO and SanDisk cards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think that goes for high-res video in general. My GoPro barfs on the lower-spec Sandisk cards, too.

Richard

actually it's their entry level red/grey ultra cards that are the ones that are not ideal for dashcam use, the higher spec models are fine

Not according to their website. Only their Endurance Range is recommended for Dashcam use:

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memory-cards

Click the filter for "Dashcam" on the left hand side of the page.

Like I said, it's going to depend ultimately on whether it's MLC memory or not.

They only recommend their High Endurance cards, has always been the case, not the issue I was referring to though with the red/grey cards where they can switch to read only mode which renders the card useless from that point on

Not according to their website. Only their Endurance Range is recommended for Dashcam use:

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memory-cards

Click the filter for "Dashcam" on the left hand side of the page.

Like I said, it's going to depend ultimately on whether it's MLC memory or not.

True.

I suppose their Endurance line last longer, although I'd love to see some test data to back that up.

Richard

There's 3 commonly used types of NAND memory, SLC, MLC and TLC. How well a card responds to being constantly over written depends on the type of NAND.

SLC flash cells can be overwritten many more times than MLC cells. Hence the reason why it's higher endurance. However, SLC memory is also far more expensive than MLC NAND. Similar scenario between MLC and TLC. MLC can be over written 10x more times than TLC.

There's a very brief and simple explanation here on the Integral Website: https://www.integralmemory.com/faq/what-difference-between-slc-and-mlc-flash-memory-chips

High Endurance MLC is the one to aim for although if you can get SLC it's probably better still.

Last edited:
So what are some of the 128GB cards that are recommended? I search on Amazon for High Endurance, results are very limited.
Are they somehow limited to 64GB?

So what are some of the 128GB cards that are recommended? I search on Amazon for High Endurance, results are very limited.
Are they somehow limited to 64GB?

I can't make a specific recommendation for this camera because I haven't received it yet, much less tested it.

That being said, there are very few "high-endurance" cards larger than 64GB, and even fewer that use SLC. I suspect that's mainly a matter of low demand due to high cost. Dash cams are a relatively small piece of the total market for high-capacity SD cards; and in most other applications, high-quality MLC cards will last "forever," for all practical purposes. In terms of rewriting, there are very few uses for an SD card that even come close to the rewrite demands of a dash cam. MLC is more than adequate for almost any other application.

To further complicate matters, rewritability isn't the only thing to consider when selecting a card for dash cam use. Physical durability is also an important consideration. A dash cam is an extreme environment in terms of heat, cold, condensation, and vibration.

I'll initially be using a Samsung EVO Select 128 card for my second card. The dash cam comes with a 128 card, although I don't know the manufacturer or type yet. I'll be using the Samsung EVO Select card simply because I already have an unused one and because I've never had a problem with that model card in any other device. It's a TLC card made specifically for the Amazon market. It's identical to the EVO+. The warranty does not cover dash cam use. But I already have one. If it works, great. If not, no big deal.

If I were ordering a card specifically for the dash cam, however, I'd limit my search to "Industrial" and "Pro" cards. Industrial cards are commonly used in embedded applications where they can't be easily changed, so they're designed to higher endurance and durability standards; and many of the "Pro" cards from well-known manufacturers also meet those standards. In some cases they're the same cards with different labels.

Finally, one has to consider manufacturer reputation. Just because a manufacturer says that a card meets a certain standard doesn't mean it actually does. If they fudge the numbers, chances are that no one will find out for years. In industrial applications, I've found Samsung, Panasonic, and Kingston cards to perform as promised or better. Sandisk cards have performed well at the higher end, but not the lower end, of their model line, in my own experience. Adata and Transcend have generally been disappointing in terms of living up to promises, again solely in my own experience.

Richard

Back