Catch car vandal while I'm at work/gym

omgblood

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for something portable I can leave in my car to catch potential vandals while
i'm not present. Needs motion detection? Nightvision, and needs to work for at least 8.5 hours.

Getting two seems like a good idea? One pointing to the front, and one to the rear looking out the windows.

Willing to spend up to 600$

You would want a dash cam that has a super capacitor if you are leaving it on in the car. Also, you'll need a hardwiring kit to make sure it doesn't drain your battery while it's running in your car. For example: Lukas LK7900 ACE + LK350 Hardwiring Kit

Kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look pretty good. I would have to order two of those Lukas right? If I want to cover the front and back views.

Would a trail camera work as well? Looking through those they seem like they have very long battery lives. That makes it more convenient for me if I don't have to wire anything.

Techmoan did a review of a cam (can't remember which one) that when it was in parking mode, it recorded footage of events several seconds before the event happened. He demonstrated this by switching it on then going out of the garage. The footage showed the empty garage and then the door opening and Matt approaching the car. Most cams only start to record after the event and the vandal has gone, this one I thought was ideal.

Frank

Those look pretty good. I would have to order two of those Lukas right? If I want to cover the front and back views.

Would a trail camera work as well? Looking through those they seem like they have very long battery lives. That makes it more convenient for me if I don't have to wire anything.

You would need to order two dash cams and a hardwiring kit for each one. The LK350 Hardwiring Kit has an extra long wire to reach from the front of most cars to the back.

The LK7900 ACE also has a few seconds of pre-buffering to make sure you're capturing everything.

Kelvin

Last edited:
the other thing to think about is storage. in my a118, my 32gb card only holds about 5 hours of footage at 1080p, which you need to get a good image of someone's face or a license plate. however, if parking mode records at lower FPS then maybe it takes up less space on the card to give you more time. i'm not familiar with the panoramas. but it's definitely something to think about if you really need 8+ hours.

Back