Caught my first hit and run with the Blackvue DR900S-2CH

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States

The impact isn't until 2:29 but I wanted to show how awful this person was at parking before she hit the Buick and left.

Copied from my reddit post:

In retrospect I wish I just would have jumped out of the car and made the driver wait, but at the same time I didn't want to confront some stranger in a parking lot trying to flee. At first I wasn't sure if they were still trying to correct their parking, but I read out the plate number just incase (sometimes my back window is dirty). Sure enough they left.
Checked out the car, had the scrape right where I saw it make impact. You can't hear it well but if you listen closely at 2:29 you do hear it and the buick bumps a bit. and the child goes "oooooh".
Went into walmart and had them page the owner of the buick and we exchanged information.

Cops found the wrangler driver not too long after. The woman who owned the wrangler of course like always in these situations claimed she didn't know she hit it. Not really sure if she is going to get charged with a hit and run, the cop made it sound like she wasn't getting charges and it will just go to their insurance because it was on private property. Not really sure why it being on private property means you can't get a hit and run. But either way the owner of the Buick has the Jeep owners insurance information and this video to help her.

Also I dunno why I put a caption that the sound was me pushing a cart into a corral. I forgot while editing that was before I even show up haha. But that sound definitely had to have been a the cart corral right next to my car. At first I wondered if it was the jeep scraping the buick but that would have been damage further back not on the side of the rear fender like it left.

The jeep was right up against the other car, so kinda freaky she did what she did, and if she dident see/hear/feel it, why did she go forward to correct.

The jeep was right up against the other car, so kinda freaky she did what she did, and if she dident see/hear/feel it, why did she go forward to correct.
right? it's so obvious she realized. I have seen so many videos like this where the person uses the same excuse. I hope i hear back from the cop or the victim.

when it happened and the jeep drove away i was sort of in disbelief. It bothers me to know people like that exist because im such a square like hank hill i would leave an honest note or page the person to let them know. but then again the reason I got into dash cams was because I don't trust other people. :LOL:

This'll be subrogated from the Buick owner's insurance to the Wrangler driver's insurance. At least if things work they way they do in FL. I imagine the Buick owner will file a claim (hopefully submitting your video), pay her deductible, and a couple months from now, she'll get a check from her insurer for the deductible - after her insurer gets reimbursed from the wran

We had a very similar incident with damage to a our vehicle after a piece of scrap metal came flying out of a dumpster hauler. The company said "prove it". Even without a dash camera (this was many years ago), our insurer went after theirs, and a few months later we received reimbursement from our insurer. Granted, it was a relatively small claim (<$1500 IIRC).

Good that you read the plate and somehow the glare from surrounding lights didn't make the plate unreadable.

Not really sure if she is going to get charged with a hit and run, the cop made it sound like she wasn't getting charges and it will just go to their insurance because it was on private property. Not really sure why it being on private property means you can't get a hit and run. But either way the owner of the Buick has the Jeep owners insurance information and this video to help her.

In Michigan and Ontario, it doesn't seem to matter if it is private property, just that the police are unlikely to pursue it.
There is a case in Hamtramck Michigan where witnesses saw a hit and run, got the license plate and and saw the driver but the police department was unwilling to do anything.
If you jump to the 2:31 mark, you will see news channel is declaring it a crime

If you watch the whole video, you will see the driver in the hit and run vehicle has a history of this, several cases of driving without a license or insurance and has arrest warrants on her .

Man that's so sad, first of all that girl, and second and pretty much just as sad the police doing nothing.
Just saw a segment on Danish TV, as i knew the police are stretched out so thin that they don't do anything about shop lifting, so people ( most likely from abroad ) fill up shopping carts 1-2-3-4 guys each with a cart, and then make off.
And when the stores call the cops they just get a " that's too bad"
Most infuriating is the politicians say shop lifting are record low, when the retail people say its at a record high.
The number of Danish cops will be up to 2011 numbers again in 2020, and we probably need more cops than that, but we are not going to get it though the places where the top 10 % live have also been hit hard by thieves.
I don't care what the other Danes say or think, i think my country are sick,,,,,, very sick :censored::oops::mad::cry: dammit not enough emoticons for my feelings.

Last edited:
This'll be subrogated from the Buick owner's insurance to the Wrangler driver's insurance. At least if things work they way they do in FL. I imagine the Buick owner will file a claim (hopefully submitting your video), pay her deductible, and a couple months from now, she'll get a check from her insurer for the deductible - after her insurer gets reimbursed from the wran

We had a very similar incident with damage to a our vehicle after a piece of scrap metal came flying out of a dumpster hauler. The company said "prove it". Even without a dash camera (this was many years ago), our insurer went after theirs, and a few months later we received reimbursement from our insurer. Granted, it was a relatively small claim (<$1500 IIRC).
The Wrangler woman's insurance called me just to verify my info. They said because of my video they would be paying for everything. She seemed pretty happy about the video because usually it ends with both parties arguing back and forth.

This is my first Hit and Run Memorial day, I've had the B-124 battery for 3 months. Is it ok to share the video now or wait? I contacted my insurance company and uploaded the video. They want me to get a police report but the police say they will come and never do.

Generally, It appears numerous victims of an accident wait a while before making public on youtube. I am not sure if effects the case or not. You should at least have copies of this this in numerous locations. The raw video on a drop box/box/ google drive and have perhaps the edited copy on youtube, but private.

However, this may be different and I am interested in other opinions as to why they delay, is that is a hit and run and you may want to get the video out there. We have had fatal hit and runs here and the police have been able to locate the suspect vehicle due to releasing security and dash cam video soon after the incident.

This is definitely not an emergency situation, overnight hit while parked in front of my house. I'm scheduled to take it in for repair Monday, I'm hoping I can get my deductible back and not take a hit on my insurance rate.

This is definitely not an emergency situation, overnight hit while parked in front of my house. I'm scheduled to take it in for repair Monday, I'm hoping I can get my deductible back and not take a hit on my insurance rate.

Ha! If you tinkle on the seat and your ins co finds out, your rates are going up. The 'incident' you experienced, even though was no fault of yours, is nevertheless considered an "incident" that will be recorded on your ChoicePoint/LexisNexis risk rating record. If you've been with our current insurer for many years, it might not affect your premium since they have established history. But if you go to renew, that incident will be held against you and you won't qualify for the lowest rates.

It sucks, but that's how the industry works. It's very likely that your record includes things you don't even know about, but for which you are being penalized. For example, my father crashed into a guest's parked car in his driveway, and that incident was on MY record because his address was listed as one of my former addresses (from more than 20 years ago!). And what is worse, is that unlike the credit reporting agencies, you are not entitled to a copy of your CP/LN report as it is considered proprietary for underwriting standards. In fact, if your agent gets caught giving you a peak, there are severe consequences for them (at least according to the agent friend that let me see mine). Considering that things like interests rates on loans, and insurance premiums are based on your data to which you have no access, it is quite infuriating.

What about the deductible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the deductible?

If they can track down the (insured) at-fault driver, and have a video showing the impact, you will get your deductible back once your insurer and the offender's insurer settle up on the charges. That is customary.

If they can track down the (insured) at-fault driver, and have a video showing the impact, you will get your deductible back once your insurer and the offender's insurer settle up on the charges. That is customary.

So the police report isn’t necessary? It’s looking like there won’t be one.

if you share via youtube i would keep your video private, in this case only the people you give or share the link with can see it, and i don't know with the other guys in here but i generally do not re-post other peoples private videos elsewhere.
I have 2 annual free crashes as a super elite driver according to my insurance company, this mean in worst case i could total my car 2 times in a year and not have it have a impact on what i pay to insure my car.
Even my first carsh when i was rear ended 30+ years ago never come up insuring other case after that, but also that was not my fault.

I suppose it depends on the carrier, but I would think not. Especially if you have compelling evidence that can identify the vehicle that hit yours. Do you have such evidence? In most cases, insurers will hash it out directly, and when there is clear-cut evidence like a video, they at-fault carrier will assume 100% liability - police report or not. The only reason the report comes in to play is if there was any ambiguity as to who was more at fault - and of course, to identify all parties involved.

I suppose it depends on the carrier, but I would think not. Especially if you have compelling evidence that can identify the vehicle that hit yours. Do you have such evidence? In most cases, insurers will hash it out directly, and when there is clear-cut evidence like a video, they at-fault carrier will assume 100% liability - police report or not. The only reason the report comes in to play is if there was any ambiguity as to who was more at fault - and of course, to identify all parties involved.

I have Dashcam vídeo showing the other car backing into mine and clear look at the make, model, and license plate.

Then it's a slam dunk. Since insurance is on the vehicle, not the driver, submit the claim to your insurer with a copy of the video. You'll have to pay the deductible up front, but it will be refunded when the other insurer reimburses yours for the repairs.

Not sure how New York state operates for Collisions, but we have collision reporting centres where we are supposed to go for any kind of accident, regardless of the damage. To my understanding the police get involved after then. I would have my insurance see the video to show them its case of a hit a run and not a case of myself bumping the car while driving.

Here's a old video of one of the area guys I follow, regarding a parking hit and run. He uploaded this after the insurance matter was resolved. Dash cam paid for itself. He has more details in the youtube description.

Not sure how New York state operates for Collisions, but we have collision reporting centres where we are supposed to go for any kind of accident, regardless of the damage. To my understanding the police get involved after then. I would have my insurance see the video to show them its case of a hit a run and not a case of myself bumping the car while driving.

Here's a old video of one of the area guys I follow, regarding a parking hit and run. He uploaded this after the insurance matter was resolved. Dash cam paid for itself. He has more details in the youtube description.

Damn, mines even clearer than that. I did hear a loud crunch from my window, when I looked the guy was gone. Then I went through the video. Bumper is cracked doesn’t look too bad but I’m sure the foam inside is crunched.

Back