BMbler

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Dash Cam
blah
////////////////////

Last edited:
You can get wired IP cameras that's about as small as a mobius camera, but the ones i have that small are color cameras so no B&W night mode aided by IR light on those.

But inside or outside a PIR activated light will provide plenty of light.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162655982431https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321923023051
Can be had much cheaper if you opt for a camera based on a older sensor, in that case its like 25 USD for a camera.
you can go pinhole lens route and hide cameras behind something and film thru a little hole.

A 4 channel NVR and a 2 TB harddrive are also not that expensive.

I recently replaced an old tired hard drive on a 4 channel CCTV DVR with a new 2TB refurbished 7200 rpm Hitachi I found on Amazon for 45 dollars. I can now record more than 6 weeks of 24/7 footage on 4 cams before overwriting any of it!

A multi channel NVR with HD IP cameras is definitely the way to go nowadays. This technology used to be very expensive but you can buy something pretty nice these days for very little money. Virtually all of these systems run on 12V (powered by AC wall warts).

Last edited:
Imagine have such storage for the cameras in the car :eek:

With my driving i could go back to the summer and look where i was driving months ago :)

Imagine have such storage for the cameras in the car :eek:

With my driving i could go back to the summer and look where i was driving months ago :)

The thing about buying a fast 2TB hard drive for 45 bucks that blows my mind is remembering how back in the 1990s I paid almost $400.00 for a 350 MB (Megabyte!) external 5200 rpm hard drive with an 8MB buffer and that was considered a fantastic price in those days.

Eventually, we will see true mass storage in dash cams. In fact, the technology already exists but the cost is prohibitive. Samsung has a tiny 512GB SSD (PM971-NVMe SSD) that is only 20mm x 16mm x 1.5mm in size and weighs about one gram! It was introduced over a year ago and I believe there is even a 2TB version out now.

ssd.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah i remember too buying my first large harddrive of 600 MB for my amiga

My first PC was an IBM clone - 4.7mHz 8088 processor and dual 5 1/4" floppy drives. I replaced one of the floppies with an internal 10MB hard drive for a bit over $600. :eek::(

My first hard drive was for a 386 PC clone from Germany, it was a Seagate 800 MB (piece of junk) $700.??!! Still have the computer/drive, somewhere in my basement!

I can recommend Hikvision IP cameras. I've been running them for a few years now with no problems. The can be POE powered so no need for a power outlet.
You would also need an NVR or some software running on a computer.
You can probably assemble the whole setup for 5 cameras for less than $1000.

yeah kids today dont know hos easy they have it, they should get the 80ties treatment :D 6 months with no phone or internet.

You can get bullet cams that's pretty small too, but not 30 x 30 x 30 mm small.

don't worry, it was also a ridiculous price, USD $250, not as bad as your 1990's price but it feels that way in the current market

I wasn't worried, just curious. Actually, $250 doesn't sound all that bad; I was expecting worse. Give it some time and we'll all have it a reasonable enough price for the average consumer to use in a dash cam.

I am no network guy, but i managed to get my cameras and NVR up and running, and newer models NVR are more easy to deal with and finding the cameras, i would almost say plug and play, at least that's how my friends NVR felt like when i was setting it up for him.
I assume using one of the other HD connection formats are even more easy as its HD over a coaxial cable ?

People spend +700 USD on a phone today, at least as insane a investment as our hard drives was back in the day.

PS. my friend first got a qvia NVR and that was BS as it dident play ball with non qvia cameras, though it are just a re-branded Dahua machine.
Both my friend and i are now on Dahua boxes, mine with build in switch my friends with external switch.

No, I spoke and suggested it already (using couple of my old dash cams "covert" and putting dummies on outside), he wasn't impressed by such idea already...

I was responding to your comment, "he wants it to be seen at least couple of them" which I took to mean that he wants something visible, so why spend money on that if you're going to have hidden real cams anyway? But you obviously already know that or you wouldn't have suggested it.

Back