CCTV sugestions?

I wasn't worried

didn't think you were, don't worry is just an expression we use here a lot, got lost in translation I guess :p

prices will come down over time, the 256gb cards were the same price just 12 months ago and they're down to $149 already

for the past few months I've been playing around with yi home cameras. first I purchased the $20 720P indoor camera and more recently the $75 1080P outdoor camera.

the app is quite good and it stores a bunch of 6 second clips in the cloud and you can install an SD card into it as well for more complete footage. if you do have an SD card installed, you can download the original footage to your mobile device. it also has 2-way audio, IR LEDs for night footage and region-specific motion triggers. i like the fact that the power lead is USB so you can even power them with a backup battery.

they've really been fantastic so far especially for the price. I'd love for them to release an outdoor PTZ model.

Xiaomi-YI-Home-Camera.jpg

s_98fd3be35fee4ae2999eb03.jpg

I didn't mention IP cams like @abarth is talking about because I didn't think that would necessarily meet @BMbler's needs, especially the one I'm going to talk about here because it's not available in this form in the UK but recently I purchased a WyzeCam and it is amazing what you get for only 20 dollars! It's been compared favorably to the NestCam, etc. I'll say that I still think a true CCTV system is what is needed here for @BMbler's friend, , especially for archiving footage but the WyzeCam is definitely worth checking out. It's only been on the market for about two months now.

Two-way audio, 1080P, night vision, motion detect, smartphone alerts, sound detection, multi-cam stackable, wall mountable, recordable to MicroSD and free 14 day rolling cloud storage are among the specs.

https://www.wyzecam.com/

This camera is actually made by Xiaomi and can be purchased from places like Gearbest but the WyzeCam version is restricted to the USA and is a essentially different product that uses proprietary firmware and it's own special app that is continually being updated. The WyzeCam is the first product in what will eventually be a suite of interconnected smart home products. The Xiaomi version until recently has been restricted to the Chinese market so it's important to ascertain which countries it may or may not function in if considering a purchase. It has recently been offered in Europe but seems hard to get a hold of. The Xiaomi product is called the Xiaomi xiaofang. https://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_620813.html

https://www.techhive.com/article/3240446/security-cameras/wyzecam-review.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/get-a-wyzecam-1080p-wi-fi-camera-for-19-99/

https://www.slashgear.com/wyzecam-is-the-smallest-security-camera-you-can-afford-25505336/

wyzecam1.jpg

wyzecam.gif

Last edited:
...the 256gb cards were the same price just 12 months ago and they're down to $149 already
Cheaper. :eek: The 256GB Samsung EVO I bought 7 weeks ago for that is now on Amazon for $129.

"it's all good, bruh." "don't even wor' 'bout it."

and other crazy things the kids say these days. :D

actual cams
https://www.gearbest.com/surveillance-camera-system/pp_1232234.html?wid=37
I believe would be sufficient

something like
https://www.gearbest.com/surveillance-camera-system/pp_1064299.html?wid=21

or
https://www.gearbest.com/surveillance-camera-system/pp_637433.html
(+HDD)
seem to be almost sufficient, considering cost (cheapness) but being Wi-Fi only...

even
https://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_315355.html
(just add HDD and ever so many meters of cabling) would be OK, just shame with ever so little info on actual performance, features and set up, as all there available as "reviews" are of "Chinese way of marketing", not that I could rely on...

So, "all in all it all boils down to"... weather to get 4 ch DVR CCTV or even 8cam DVR CCTV or to go perhaps with one 4 cam DVR set up and second (internal) 4ch IP NVR CCTV...

Critical issue here is opposite to the logic, as less important, but needed to be more feature rich (as Movement detection+ auto record in to local storage + IE app alerts and perhaps stream in to app paired device) would end up being Wi-Fi ones as "base set up"
Whilst "One's for the show"- external need to be clear "proper" wired ones connected to DVR box.

Perhaps 2 (+ x4 of each (used in total 5 or 6 of them) Cams) of cheaper DVR and NVR is the solution.:confused:

Virtually none of these cameras and systems you've linked to are adequate for a variety of reasons. I don't have time to go into a long explanation at the moment but basically one is only 720P, the 1080P WiFi camera system is only 15fps and shoots in AVI like a cheap dash cam, the stand alone camera is an older technology analogue, not a true HD digital, the other cameras are not High Definition either even though they claim to be. There is a difference between a DVR (usually analogue) and a NVR (digital).

CCTV has quite a learning curve and it's important to understand at least the basics before buying a system as the products and technologies on the market can be very confusing. We are also in a transition period between older analogue cameras, hybrid analogue/digital and digital. You'll need to understand terms like TVL, ONIF, D1, 960H, etc. before you can make a knowledgeable purchase. For the time being forget about all the features and focus on which camera will provide the best image quality. The 960H camera for example will only give you an image that is 960 pixels x 576 pixels (PAL) or 960 x 480 (NTSC).

Finally, I don't think Gearbest is the best place to buy a real CCTV surveillance system but they could be OK for buying a small WiFi camera like a Yi or a Xiaomi.

@BMbler I have to respectfully disagree. High resolution IS important, especially for a CCTV recording the front and rear exterior of the building, so you can capture plates and faces. D1 resolution is basically useless imho, and I would never go lower than 720p.

Personally I'm looking for a true 1080p system that's PoE with at least 4 channels for my house. Haven't found anything i like in my budget yet - the systems I've found are still about a grand even without a hard drive. I have a couple drives I could use, but still...

Yes D1 i feel are only useful if its a feed you watch and react to personally, for identification its useless for anything but car make/model and maybe color, and pretty much the same for humans if they are close to the camera.
Hell 1080p are not so good either at least if you dont have the right lens for the job, the typical wide angle lens are just like dashcams, so if you want to see any detail then the subject have to be close to the camera.

Also why the 1080p PTZ i have on my car are at zoom level 7 - 8, cuz otherwise i would not be able to have a chance identifying a person next to my car.
And i would have to be damn sure, cuz circumstances here force me to act as judge and jury if my car get vandalized again, and i would just hate to molest a innocent person.

I know it has become quite long thread, can not blame you in to not reading it.

I believe they are

Having CCTV in non HD format is good enough- it's only CCTV

Still, from the beginning, I stressed, it doesn't have to be "BBC production" or the price for neither resolution or appearance.
As a matter of factor, external HAVE to be bigger for aestetic- "presence" reasons

Yes, DVR ( Digital (implements cabled) Video recorder) and one NVR (NETWORK Video recorder)
I believe we are past that over ever so many posts.

Hence I asked for better informed posters for advice

I do and once again it is not requirement to be OTT with resolutions etc, old analogue type would be sufficient

No, buying in separate bits will cause issues of compatibility, networking issues and unnecessarily higher costs

It's OK resolution.

I accept, buying such items from GB might have pitfalls etc, but ALL as one are still made in China. matter of making an informed purchase would eliminate such.

I respectfully disagree too. Just yesterday you were talking about cobbling together a surveillance system using old broken dash cams (which happen to all be 1080P BTW) and asking for advice about what to look for in a CCTV system. Now, based on your above reply here you seem to have it all figured out so I think I'll bow out of this discussion at this point and wish you all the best with this endeavor.

Indeed, only yesterday I was contemplating using fairly discreet DashCams (mainly for internal use), but as the consideration continued, I ended up discounting that option, due to the costs, reliability and simplicity, most likely will be going (ideally) with one system.

Glad, you are not going to participate in discussion further, as so far your posts indicated none of constructive suggestion or advice, but attempt in patronising (AKA to flame-baiting), that I ignored, in a hope of such being just occasional erratic style of response.

Once again, even in later post I've gone listing cams with higher resolution than 720p- (it is not a definitive minimum requirement), something near to that for a 1/4 of the price IE from GearBest is being contemplated still.

Always with that chip on your shoulder, eh, @BMbler? Well, like I said, good luck in your endeavor. Sorry I wasted time responding to you in the first place. :finger:

3 chips, based on two responses post non responding :D

Amusing how many times I've witnessed you here on DCT asking for advice about one thing or another and then making angry insults towards the poster when you don't like the answers.

proof?

you amusement is amusing, your sensitive recipient nature is inadequate to the posts you are making, I have to admit have noticed your online behaviour indicating being oppressed person, no?

how many stars do I get now for you stumbling over your own flame-baits and coming back whining? Am I general now?

Hope you sober up soon.

hope you'll grow out of your pre-teen mental age at some stage

Hah, and you have the nerve to accuse others of flaming and baiting.

What is so peculiar here is that after hitting the like button and offering thanks to previous posts, this kerfuffle all started when I responded to your post this morning by saying that, "Virtually none of these cameras and systems you've linked to are adequate for a variety of reasons.....and that...."CCTV has quite a learning curve and it's important to understand at least the basics before buying a system as the products and technologies on the market can be very confusing."

Apparently, this was to much for your fragile ego to bear and so you become defensive and lash out with insults, just as I've seen you do at other times in the past.

Personally, I've been using CCTV systems for almost a decade now and despite all I've learned I am still on a learning curve, especially with the rapid changes in the technology. You on the other hand take offense when someone politely suggests that perhaps there is still much to absorb after less than twenty four hours of asking for basic advice on the subject. Very sad to witness.

flaming man-child, seen those before,

who started what, your out of the back side re-quoting indicates you are in believe in to continue derailing the thread and in to getting in to the dispute, that would become official recognition of your intelligence.

I hope you will manage to comprehend my evaluation over your outbursts in visual form?

Feel very sad for you, man. :grumpy:

Last edited:
Well folks, I guess we can all pack this thread up and go home now. I am informed that Mr. BMbler will apparently be taking a temporary leave of absence from DCT.

Back