cd300x newbie

Gc450

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Bit worried now, after the good reviews I read initially about this camera, I ordered one which arrived last week. Haven't had the opportunity to fit it yet as I wanted to hard wire it not liking wires hanging everywhere. Now I am reading they are having trouble with them and to avoid?
Can you let me know what the issues are so I look out for this and if necessary get it returned for a refund? I don't want to go through the process of fitting it to find out it faulty and have to remove the damn thing.
Purchased via Ebay/paypal so hopefully I have some protection

Cheers
Glyn

It may not happen right away but you'll experience random freezes and failed recordings after awhile. It will happen at startup, shutdown, or even in the middle of a long recording session. (Hardware defect that a firmware update won't be able to fix in the current batch unfortunately)

Best to get it returned then rather than mess about ?
Shame as this was my preferred form of camera and would have fit the car well, is there a new model on the way to replace this.
Cheers Glyn

I think maybe you buy from us, I suggest you use it for some time, any problem you can post hear or send PM to me.
We have sold some, the feedback is good, haven't heard problems like @Pier28 post.

Yeah wait to hear it's fixed. I don't expect more to be produced until the huge first wave is dumped / sold though unfortunately.

@billknow
Hi
Yes it was from you chaps, my apologies I didn't know your were on here (first time for me really apart from reading reviews previously)
If your happy for me to try the unit I will and let you know how things work
Cheers Glyn

Last edited by a moderator:
@billknow
Hi
Yes it was from you chaps, my apologies I didn't know your were on here (first time for me really apart from reading reviews previously)
If your happy for me to try the unit I will and let you know how things work
Cheers Glyn
It is OK, don't worry to much about that, just set it up and use it. :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do
I had planned to fit it this weekend
I will let you know how things go
Regards Glyn

@Gc450 , I bought one from Foxoffer as well. I hooked it up to my test bench and ran it for two days (constant power and recording - 48Hrs) to see if there was any problems. It got a GPS fix inside my apartment! I've since hardwired it into my car, and GPS locks within a minute when I drive. Good quality at 1296P res.

I have not run into any "problems" that have been floating about in these forums. I have noted a minor noise in the video which is most probably caused by EMI in the USB cable within the car (completely external to the unit as there was no noise in recording on my test bench using a clean PSU). I'll be addressing that issue in the coming weeks.

Cheers @billknow !

you're more likely to run into problems if you do a lot of short stop/go driving, longer term usage is less of an issue

I was about to say the same thing. Bench testing long term is no problem. Once it's in the start/stop/start/stop car it's a different story days/weeks later.

I'll keep a look out, but I did try very short recording sessions on the bench. Played with time splits and recording durations, did not have a problem. Typical bench tests for recordings under a minute, 3 mins and 10 mins. My daily commute is 12 mins long - the camera correctly records two 5 min splits and the remainder (or four 3 min clips and the remainder, when set to 3 min splits). I've got mine to turn off in 3 seconds of power disconnect.

Last edited:
I'll keep a look out, but I did try very short recording sessions on the bench. Played with time splits and recording durations, did not have a problem. Typical bench tests for recordings under a minute, 3 mins and 10 mins. My daily commute is 12 mins long - the camera correctly records two 5 min splits and the remainder (or four 3 min clips and the remainder, when set to 3 min splits). I've got mine to turn off in 3 seconds of power disconnect.

they're not all problematic but we found an unacceptable amount that were, if it works fine for the first week then it's more likely it will stay that way

they're not all problematic but we found an unacceptable amount that were, if it works fine for the first week then it's more likely it will stay that way

I'll keep monitoring and reporting back, but so far Foxoffer's units seem good to me!

I'm not sure if they used their own bespoke manufacturing or are just selling the vanilla TCL units, but the two processes should be fairly constant and the firmware relatively identical across all distributors (I spotted different vendor's pictures and touches in the firmware when I poked around). I don't know where the variable you have experienced has sprung from.

Last edited:
Hi @billknow
I also orders from your site , my unit still in transit ( it's taking longer than I expected ) I requested to cancel the order after reading the post in here ,
But you had " ship it " the same day of request !!? . So I guess I will install it when it arrive and see how it will work, this is my first unit To use in my bussinis and I need 9 more I have a fleet of delivery vans . So I hope it will work with no issue
I will keep you posted

Last edited:
I'll keep monitoring and reporting back, but so far Foxoffer's units seem good to me!

I'm not sure if they used their own bespoke manufacturing or are just selling the vanilla TCL units, but the two processes should be fairly constant and the firmware relatively identical across all distributors (I spotted different vendor's pictures and touches in the firmware when I poked around). I don't know where the variable you have experienced has sprung from.

I bought from Foxoffer and while I haven't noticed the freezing/recording failures yet, the compression is insane and nighttime quality is extremely poor, poorer than the sample videos shown on this site and inferior to the SG version of the B40/A118 I already have (which is disappointing).

Seems to very much be a "luck of the draw" thing. I'm going to request an RMA from Foxoffer.

I have this problem at home, after one week of use CDV300X
An error has occurred during the last file never write long route. The "Datakam Player" is marked in yellow. It's probably a problem with the battery which is empty and the device can not save the last file.

Attachments

• defect.jpg
    defect.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 24
I think these are the sorts of problems which is why the Street Guardian version was put on hold unfortunately.

Where did you buy that one from please?

Back