CDV300X... Updated A118?

M---

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A118C
I just saw that FoxOffer (@billknow) has a "CDV300X" 1296P dashcam in their list of "new for November" products. It looks like an updated A118, and awfully similar to @jokiin's new product... Anybody have sample footage?

Hi there
Yes I have just received the CDV300 here in the UK from foxoffer1 .
Very quick delivery and no import duty.
Only recived today ... Will check it out soon
Take care from
John

Cool, please send us some sample footage once you've had a chance to play with it!

I also bought and received my CDV300X. I installed it immediately :)

Attachments

• Sample da postare.jpg
    Sample da postare.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 114
The night video on the CDV 100 was excellent - interested to see how the 300 is as well :)

I made a short review of the CDV300X. Of course for almost twice the price of the A118, it has several advantages.
I found that they used too much video compression which does not show the A7LA50 at its best, like the Dome G90 does.
Also it seems impossible to contact TCL to give them suggestions or get newer firmware so I don't know if they'll ever improve the product
Photos%2B-%2BGoogle%2B-09-34-46.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean "...does not show the A7LA50 at its best..."?

Thanks for the review, which looks very professional.

Indeed, I meant "does not"!:rolleyes: I corrected the sentence. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm still on the fence between ordering one of these CDV-300 compared to the A118. It's the wedge shape that has me interested in these two dash cams.

How does the jingle sound? Of course it would be ideal if there was an OFF for it but just curious how "bad" it is before I grab one... and hope for the best in terms of firmware updates. I just don't want something so stupid like a jingle to prevent me from getting it :p

Don't worry about jingles as they can be removed from A7 firmwares quite easily with AFT :)

I made a short video to give you an idea: it sings at power on, on warnings (about to turn off or low light feature) and at power off.
No big deal really but I prefer it mute or at least not that loud.

Last edited:
I made a short video to give you an idea: it sings at power on, on warnings (about to turn off or low light feature) and at power off.
No big deal really but I prefer it mute or at least no that loud.

It's probably not a big deal, but it'd be better if it was just quiet. Though doesn't sound TOO annoying

Don't worry about jingles as they can be removed from A7 firmwares quite easily with AFT :)

Hmm, guess I'd have to learn how to use that particular software (not new to things like these though)

I'll probably order one soon, but given that most places are in USD, the CDN conversion seems so terrible right now! I'll keep posted of course when I get it.

Any updates on this? I'm thinking of this model or the SG9665GPS

Any updates on this? I'm thinking of this model or the SG9665GPS
The only thing I would say to this Marlet is that you're literally paying double for what is apparently not much more than a change in Firmware and different packaging + what would probably be more support. (Not necessarily a bad thing!)
Hardware is apparently the same. To me, it's hard to justify.

My CDV300X just arrived today so I'll be installing it this weekend and testing it out at that point.

The only thing I would say to this Marlet is that you're literally paying double for what is apparently not much more than a change in Firmware and different packaging + what would probably be more support. (Not necessarily a bad thing!) Hardware is apparently the same. To me, it's hard to justify.

If the changes are anything like A118 vs SG9665GM then that's incorrect ... PCB, lens, sensor, power supply, mount, housing are all changed from A118 version for increased performance, better night video, better heat resistance, safer operation, etc.

a change in Firmware
My only comment here is that even if it were "just" different firmware, that could make the difference between a buggy camera that needs to be reset constantly, and one that works reliably. It can also make a difference in the quality of the recorded video, and usefulness of the features.

And from @jokiin's comments on the forums here, it sounds like there are hardware changes as well.

My only comment here is that even if it were "just" different firmware, that could make the difference between a buggy camera that needs to be reset constantly, and one that works reliably. It can also make a difference in the quality of the recorded video, and usefulness of the features.

And from @jokiin's comments on the forums here, it sounds like there are hardware changes as well.

I agree re: firmware etc. but I'm just going off what I've read here and what others have posted regarding the hardware specifications and firmware. Well, I'll install mine this weekend and test it out.
Guess we'll see how well it works and if I'm talking out my a$$ ;)

The CDV300 has the Ambrella A7LA50 Processor while the SG9665GM has the Novatek NT96650 based on website specifications, least on the CPU side of things. The other things I cannot comment.

I ordered the CDV-300X myself, awaiting for it to be delivered. But based on reviews, it seems to at least be better than the A118.

The only thing I would say to this Marlet is that you're literally paying double for what is apparently not much more than a change in Firmware and different packaging + what would probably be more support. (Not necessarily a bad thing!)
Hardware is apparently the same. To me, it's hard to justify.

My CDV300X just arrived today so I'll be installing it this weekend and testing it out at that point.

Well I have to agree with you somewhat. Say if SG9665GPS is differed from CDV300X only in firmware, packaging and support, but SG9665GPS costs $300 and CDV300X costs $150, I don't think those extra (of SG9665GPS) is worth $150. $50 the most I would pay for the difference.

Back