Cellink B battery problem

Oilburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Trancend Drive Pro 220 & Thinkware F770 Dual
So far this battery has given excellent service for years, unfortunately where the battery was placed, in a deep recess in the rear of my estate, I noticed the camera was no longer working, upon investigating I noticed that rain water had found its way into the car, and the Cellink B battery was sitting in about 1" or 25.4 mm of water, the battery was in the upright position, water had gone into the little speaker and the reset button access hole, after drying the battery out by leaning battery at an angle for a couple of days, all the water had drained away, I then checked the voltage with a multi meter, this indicated the battery was completely flat showing .010 volts, after another day of waiting to make sure the internals of the battery were dry, I attempted to charge the battery of the car, at first no charge light appeared, but after an hour or so the charge light on the battery came on, thinking this was now going to charge properly, but the voltage has gone up very slightly after being left on charge for 5 hours, the multi meter shows just .012 volts, So even though the battery is showing the charge light on its obviously not getting a charge.

Has anyone got any suggestions how to get this to charge, before I crack open the sealed case to investigate for any damage to the cells, or the protection circuit.

Update:- After opening the battery case, I found one of the terminals rusted through due to unknown water ingress, the cells did not appear to be damaged, so I purchased a SeeSii battery spot welder from Amazon and thinking I might be lucky salvaging the Cellink B battery, I also purchased pure nickel strip to spot weld new bridge across the damaged section, this worked very well, I then recharged the cellink back up the red led appeared to say charging , but after a couple of hours on charge, I never saw the usual green led light on that shows it is fully charged, on testing the cellink b with a multi meter shows 13.6volts, and individual cells show 3.4volts, so this leads me to believe the ingress of water could well have damaged the printed circuit board attached to the cellink cells, with no obvious sign of damage to the circuit board, its not been a successful outcome I had hoped for, fearing the water ingress may have even damaged, ie shorted the camera out, to prove this I had to purchase the Thinkware plug & play lead to check camera out, luckily I'm pleased to say the F770 camera is ok, and working correctly when plugged in to the 12v cigar socket.

Whilst this was an expense I could have done without, I will not be replacing the cellink with another one, Instead I have ordered an alternative a Power Core model 6200LFP HW 6200 mAh 79.36wh lithium iron phosphate battery, it comes with a two-year warranty, manufacturers claim it's all serviceable, its more powerful than my original cellink, installation looks real easy no soldering or tools required, and is very competitively priced against other batteries, at the moment its on a special discount price of £179 all in, Power Core are also bringing out several new batteries which at present not shown on their website.

Once I receive it and install it, I will give my thoughts on this new Power Core battery, but before installation I need to find how water is getting into the rear of my BMW F11 estate car, so far it's proving difficult to trace, on checking the internet for solutions, it appears a few other owners have had the same problem, but do not state how they cured the problem, my vehicle has sat through heavy rain for days and still dry, so no wiser how the water is getting into the O/S rear compartment, I've resorted to putting paper towel crunched up in different locations, to see if and when it lets water in I can see where it starts from, hopefully !

Update:- After opening the battery case, I found one of the terminals rusted through due to unknown water ingress, the cells did not appear to be damaged, so I purchased a SeeSii battery spot welder from Amazon and thinking I might be lucky salvaging the Cellink B battery, I also purchased pure nickel strip to spot weld new bridge across the damaged section, this worked very well, I then recharged the cellink back up the red led appeared to say charging , but after a couple of hours on charge, I never saw the usual green led light on that shows it is fully charged, on testing the cellink b with a multi meter shows 13.6volts, and individual cells show 3.4volts, so this leads me to believe the ingress of water could well have damaged the printed circuit board attached to the cellink cells, with no obvious sign of damage to the circuit board, its not been a successful outcome I had hoped for, fearing the water ingress may have even damaged, ie shorted the camera out, to prove this I had to purchase the Thinkware plug & play lead to check camera out, luckily I'm pleased to say the F770 camera is ok, and working correctly when plugged in to the 12v cigar socket.

Whilst this was an expense I could have done without, I will not be replacing the cellink with another one, Instead I have ordered an alternative a Power Core model 6200LFP HW 6200 mAh 79.36wh lithium iron phosphate battery, it comes with a two-year warranty, manufacturers claim it's all serviceable, its more powerful than my original cellink, installation looks real easy no soldering or tools required, and is very competitively priced against other batteries, at the moment its on a special discount price of £179 all in, Power Core are also bringing out several new batteries which at present not shown on their website.

Once I receive it and install it, I will give my thoughts on this new Power Core battery, but before installation I need to find how water is getting into the rear of my BMW F11 estate car, so far it's proving difficult to trace, on checking the internet for solutions, it appears a few other owners have had the same problem, but do not state how they cured the problem, my vehicle has sat through heavy rain for days and still dry, so no wiser how the water is getting into the O/S rear compartment, I've resorted to putting paper towel crunched up in different locations, to see if and when it lets water in I can see where it starts from, hopefully !
How did your purchase of the 6200LFP go? I tried to look for your feedback like you said you would but couldn't find it. I'm interested in this battery pack too.

Back