Cellink Neo charge times

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have a Cellink Neo, could you share how long it takes your battery to fully recharge from dead, whether you're hardwired at 9A or using the cig. lighter at 5A?

Charge what battery ?

If its one in a dashcam they are normally 400 mah or less, as they are just there to shut down camera properly.
I have no ides at what rates the cameras charge on the battery or capacitor, but half a Amp are probably in the ballpark.

Charge what battery ?

If its one in a dashcam they are normally 400 mah or less, as they are just there to shut down camera properly.
I have no ides at what rates the cameras charge on the battery or capacitor, but half a Amp are probably in the ballpark.

I'm referring the battery within the Cellink Neo itself. It's a battery designed to power a dashcam for parked recording.

Aaa yeah silly me :rolleyes::oops: Im totally not up to date on the parking guard stuff as i never felt a need to use it myself.
But yeah i think i read something somewhere on one of those units that they actually charge pretty hard to replenish the batteries ASAP, but then again the 18650 batteries inside can only be charged so hard.
Mine for flashlights i charge at 1 A and thats pretty safe, but 5 A will probably be around the MAX for that class of batteries.

I'm sure they do, yeah. I'm looking for specific information though.

I've had a Neo on loan for testing and I've done a review of it, then I sent it back to the folks at BlackboxMyCar. I have the Blackvue B-124 on hand right now (pretty much a rebranded Neo) and am measuring how long it can power a dashcam and how long it takes to recharge from dead.

Some of the numbers I'm seeing with the B-124 aren't matching up with what I saw with the Neo (my B-124 numbers look right, but my Neo numbers look weird) so I'm looking for additional data points from others who also have the Neo to ensure my numbers from the Neo are representative of what others are seeing.

Looking at this video it appear the charge rate are 9 Amps, is if the batteries are 9000 AMH that will then take 1 hour to fully charge

The video just say its 6000 mah so it will be a lot faster than my example, but not going to dig out calculator now, but 30 minutes should do the trick i think.

Looking at this video it appear the charge rate are 9 Amps, is if the batteries are 9000 AMH that will then take 1 hour to fully charge

I appreciate you helping me do some research and thank you for the video, but could you please do me a favor? I'm not interested in any speculation or math based on battery capacity and current rates. I'm familiar with that already and right now I'm interested actual real life numbers.

NP there are variables for sure, many chargers throttle back charge rate as they are about to top out.
But lets see what users have to say.

The video just say its 6000 mah so it will be a lot faster than my example, but not going to dig out calculator now, but 30 minutes should do the trick i think.

In my testing, the Neo took 19 min to recharge at 9A and 23 min to recharge at 5A. That doesn't make sense because they advertise a 45 min recharge time at 9A. I'm not seeing numbers posted for 5A, but I'd imagine something closer to 80 min.

The B-124 has the same capacity and specs and they advertise 40 min for 9A and 80 min for 5A.

I just did a quick test charging the B-124 at 5A and it took me 83 min, so right in line with expectations. Driving around with the B-124 in my car for a week and monitoring runtimes via the app, I calculated an average of 56 min to fully recharge the battery when hardwired into my car and set to 9A, a bit longer than the advertised 40 but not too too far off.

I'm wondering if there's inaccuracies with the percentages for the Neo as displayed within the app. Now that said, I also tried testing how long the battery could power a dashcam when fully charged. I tested it with a two channel F800 Pro and got 25 hours with the Neo and 19 hours with the B-124.

I'm not sure why the Neo was charging faster and also lasting longer when the two batteries should otherwise be identical from a power standpoint, hence my request for additional measured datapoints on the Neo to hear if others are getting results more in line with advertised numbers.

Last edited:
6 hours difference thats pretty much if the batteries are same size and the load was the same.
It is not uncommon with batteries to get some with pretty inflated MAH ratings, i have even seen 10.000 MAH 18650 batteries, when all the big brand factories can make are 3500 mah.
Also a lot of fakes around as with memory cards, you can really bet burned even if you think you are shopping and buying genuine "real" batteries.

The time to fully recharge is not really important since the last bit has got to be done very slowly. Generally the last bit is not needed with a battery of decent capacity. Generally if you double the charge rate then you can only use that higher charge rate for the first few minutes, then the charge slows down and overall you only save a few minutes on the time to full. However the time to 30% will indeed be half.

So the important figure is the time to get from empty to enough charge to power your dashcam for 24 hours, or to make it easier for people with different dashcams to understand, the time to increase the charge by 50 Wh - enough to power a typical dashcam for 24 hours or a Blueskysea B1W for a weekend. This time will depend on both the charge rate and the capacity since higher capacity allows the full charge rate to continue for longer.

Any dashcam powerbanks that don't last 24 hours even on a full charge are failures!

Guys, if you wanna chat about other aspects of battery charging, let’s do that in another thread. What I’m curious about in this thread is simply this:

How long does it take you, in your direct experience, to go from 0-100% with your Cellink Neo? At 5A or at 9A?

Additionally, I’m also curious about how much runtime you get with a full battery, though this will vary depending on the power draw of the dashcam you’re running.

If you guys want to talk about anything else, that’d be great, but please do me a favor and start a new thread.

Thank you.

Guys, if you wanna chat about other aspects of battery charging, let’s do that in another thread. What I’m curious about in this thread is simply this:

How long does it take you, in your direct experience, to go from 0-100% with your Cellink Neo? At 5A or at 9A?

Additionally, I’m also curious about how much runtime you get with a full battery, though this will vary depending on the power draw of the dashcam you’re running.

If you guys want to talk about anything else, that’d be great, but please do me a favor and start a new thread.

Thank you.
You will never get an exact figure. Not only does it depend on which dash camera people are running but, it could be multiple. Couple that with how often the camera is recording from standby mode to the parking function. The amount of activity or lack there of in front of the camera(s) will surely give you inaccuracies eveytime.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He asked a simple question. My NEO takes a total of 7-8 min from 70% to 100% charge doing moderate to almost idle driving. Again that’s if my NEO says 70% it takes less than 7-8 min from engine start to reg driving to get to 100%.

That should easily under 25-30 min total from full dead to full charge under most circumstances.

With that said it took my Thinkware F800 with highest parking mode motion sensitivity recording both front and back 9 hours to get to 30% usage for 70% left over capacity. My NEO is only 4 days old so I never got a chance to drain it completely. I’ll try my best to leave my car parked while in a busy NJ street without starting to test. Even that depends on the amount of motion my F800 records and at which amount of lighting during daylight. I can safely say MY NEO with a 2 channel Thinkware setup should last for 24 -36 hours starting at daylight for 2 full daylight cycles. This is in a busy every second motion sensor triggering crackhead infested Jersey City town. YMMV, but hopefully my first hand experience helps.

You will never get an exact figure. Not only does it depend on which dash camera people are running but, it could be multiple. Couple that with how often the camera is recording from standby mode to the parking function. The amount of activity or lack there of in front of the camera(s) will surely give you inaccuracies eveytime.

Seriously? It's pretty straightfoward to measure. Drain the battery fully and then time how long it takes to get back to 100%. Easy to do when bench testing at home in your living room. In your car you can also measure over a period of time, logging battery levels at the start and end of your drives and looking at the average and the variance of the results.

Will there be variables such as what dashcam you're running, how much power draw there is, the ambient temperature, age of the battery, and so on? Of course. That's why having even more datapoints is useful. It helps us avoid any issues that could be drawn from using a smaller size data sample and gives us a better picture of what people are experiencing in practice. Not only will we get a variety of numbers, but we can measure things like how consistent people's results are, how much of an improvement there may be when running different dashcams or settings, and so on. There's a lot we can learn and conclusions we can draw, even if the numbers don't match exactly. I know you mean well, but instead of making excuses and arguing why it can't be done, let's get some actual data and take a closer look at it to see what we can all learn together.

This is the last time I'm going to ask to hold off on these sorts of posts for the time being or to take the discussion elsewhere.

Last edited:
He asked a simple question. My NEO takes a total of 7-8 min from 70% to 100% charge doing moderate to almost idle driving. Again that’s if my NEO says 70% it takes less than 7-8 min from engine start to reg driving to get to 100%.

That should easily under 25-30 min total from full dead to full charge under most circumstances.

With that said it took my Thinkware F800 with highest parking mode motion sensitivity recording both front and back 9 hours to get to 30% usage for 70% left over capacity. My NEO is only 4 days old so I never got a chance to drain it completely. I’ll try my best to leave my car parked while in a busy NJ street without starting to test. Even that depends on the amount of motion my F800 records and at which amount of lighting during daylight. I can safely say MY NEO with a 2 channel Thinkware setup should last for 24 -36 hours starting at daylight for 2 full daylight cycles. This is in a busy every second motion sensor triggering crackhead infested Jersey City town. YMMV, but hopefully my first hand experience helps.

Thank you. That's really helpful. I take it you're running hardwired at 9A? Sounds like you're seeing very good results as well.

Thank you. That's really helpful. I take it you're running hardwired at 9A? Sounds like you're seeing very good results as well.

NP. Yup 9A from my fuse box it’s a simple plug and play. Unfortunately I need to drive today so I can’t marathon my NEO on parking mode to test full drain and charge times. I’m very curious as well on the results. So far I’m very happy with the results and I’m confident I can easily do my day to day without worrying about my dash cam.

Seriously? It's pretty straightfoward to measure. Drain the battery fully and then time how long it takes to get back to 100%. Easy to do when bench testing at home in your living room. In your car you can also measure over a period of time, logging battery levels at the start and end of your drives and looking at the average and the variance of the results.

Will there be variables such as what dashcam you're running, how much power draw there is, the ambient temperature, age of the battery, and so on? Of course. That's why having even more datapoints is useful. It helps us avoid any issues that could be drawn from using a smaller size data sample and gives us a better picture of what people are experiencing in practice. Not only will we get a variety of numbers, but we can measure things like how consistent people's results are, how much of an improvement there may be when running different dashcams or settings, and so on. There's a lot we can learn and conclusions we can draw, even if the numbers don't match exactly. I know you mean well, but instead of making excuses and arguing why it can't be done, let's get some actual data and take a closer look at it to see what we can all learn together.

This is the last time I'm going to ask to hold off on these sorts of posts for the time being or to take the discussion elsewhere.
You didn't ask just about charging times. You also asked about how long the battery would last. As I stated before what you're asking will give varying results because people don't run their dash camera in the house to get a false result. You have your opinion and I have mine. This is why the forum is here. You can get an actual number how long a dash camera will run on the battery in real world conditions because everyone's real world condition is different. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To answer VR:

DR-590W 2CH wifi on all the times

0-100%

In car with cigarette: 1 hour 10 minutes

At home using converter: 55 min.

Edit: my cam last about 19 hours based on my app.

the Cellink Neo6 took around 45mins(9A mode) to fully charge from 0% to 100% as I purposely drain the Cellink battery down to 0% until the output cut off(using 2A load which is the max output of the Cellink) & recharge back using home power supply. 2A load on output took around 3hrs to drain the battery from 100% to 0%. The charging current is very constant which at 9A until reach 100% then current slowly drop off within 2mins to 0A.

Back