Cellink NEO had problems but BlackBoxMyCar has worked with me to resolve the problem. Please delete this thread.

FatStrawPDX

Reaction score
Country
United States
Edit:
Update: I've got in contact with BlackBoxMyCar and shipped them my unit for diagnostics and they are taking care of me. My overall experience with BlackBoxMyCar has changed to 100% satisfaction and I will continue to support them in the future when I decide to buy more Dashcams.

Last edited:
Maybe you have overloaded/burned out a main relay?

Can't be many components between the battery/alternator and the fuse box that could be causing the problem. Can't really be the battery or alternator since the other would take over.

Presumably your Neo is on 9A setting, so taking a substantial amount of power that the car was not really designed to supply?

Hm, try setting the switch on the Neo to 5A and see if the issue persists.

Hm, try setting the switch on the Neo to 5A and see if the issue persists.
Probably too late for that, something is already dying, the result of the test would not give a meaningful diagnostic.

Presumably your Neo is on 9A setting, so taking a substantial amount of power that the car was not really designed to supply?
yeah his 340 amp alternator is probably struggling to keep up :p

if you lose circuits when the Neo is connected that could be a hardware fault with the Neo, pull it out and get it tested, they use a safer battery than normal lipo but I would still take some precautions to avoid a problem, you have a lot of power on tap in your setup

if you lose circuits when the Neo is connected that could be a hardware fault with the Neo, pull it out and get it tested, they use a safer battery than normal lipo but I would still take some precautions to avoid a problem, you have a lot of power on tap in your setup
That shouldn't be possible given the symptoms described.

Could be an earth fault, worth checking that the earth cables from the battery to chassis and chassis to the Neo are properly connected to battery 0 volts.

wiring or a fault with the Neo itself, I'd certainly be looking closely if things stop working just because it's connected

We'll definitely do our best to help out - was this purchased from us? Please PM us with your order information!

I think you'll find a poor connection, bad fuse, or damaged wire along the electrical path which feeds the Neo (could be the ground path too). It's still good enough for the normal load, but adding the Neo drops the amount of current reaching the normal load.

Since this once worked properly I'd look for what may have changed: wiring that became unclipped from it's routing, maybe someone's foot did something under the dash, maybe a water splash got into a connector underhood and began corrosion. If the car has fusible links in the wiring harness, visually look for deformed or melted insulation and feel for flexibility- they usually get stiff when they start to go bad. If not sure, replace the one involved with this circuit. I've fixed a few cars charging systems which had bad fusible links- voltages and continuity looked normal but they couldn't carry the amperage under load. Sort of like a multi-strand wire with half the conductors broken. Many people miss these when doing diagnostics as they sometimes look like normal wires.

Alternately the Neo could be bad, drawing excessive current, but any good Lithium battery management system will go open-circuit if it's overload downstream to prevent cell overheating or damage. My guess is they designed it this way as I've never heard of one failing due to an overheated cell.

Hoping that Joe Lucas didn't relocate to Japan! :eek:

Phil

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do for you but please do understand and be reasonable if you're out of warranty.

Can you send me a private message here with your order number and email?

probably a problem with the board itself inside the cellink ?? is there a local electronics shop that will diagnose it ?

I know that this is an old thread but are you connecting it via the fuse tap? They can definitely cause issues in certain cases. Adding a relay and using the fusebox to only power the relay will most likely fix your issue.

Update: I've got in contact with BlackBoxMyCar and shipped them my unit for diagnostics and they are taking care of me. My overall experience with BlackBoxMyCar has changed to 100% satisfaction and I will continue to support them in the future when I decide to buy more Dashcams.

Although I will note: I'd be wary of buying the Cellink NEO. If I had to do it all over again, I'd choose the Cellink-B over the Neo. Also, note that shipping from USA to Canada can be very expensive if you had to ship something to them and back. Just something to keep in mind when making purchases. I supported/and will continue to support this company [BlackBoxMyCar] because I enjoy watching their YouTube videos

Please delete this thread entire thread.

Last edited:
better to leave it here so people know that @BlackboxMyCar is a reliable vendor
And so that we can find out what the actual problem was, not sure it is clearly a problem with the Cellink yet, might turn out to be a wiring or car issue...

Thanks to OP for his patience and updating this thread!

We received the battery pack and it functioned like normal on our end. We feel that the issues are due to numerous 3rd party electronics, including another battery pack, that are connected to the vehicle. Keep in mind this is an older vehicle so the battery is not in the best condition.

Regardless, we've decided to send the OP a replacement battery pack but do note that the same issue may occur given the reasons above.

Keep in mind this is an older vehicle so the battery is not in the best condition.
I still think the symptoms pointed to one of the car's main relays failing due to being overloaded for too long.

I still think the symptoms pointed to one of the car's main relays failing due to being overloaded for too long.
I am believe that you are correct. I even suggested he run his own relay to function as the neo 9's internal relay does following your post. Using the fuse taps can cause problems in certain setups.

Last edited:
Back