Cellink Neo v. BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery Pack B-124 -- Both $299

DroMike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S (pending)
If one were inclined to purchase one of these two dashcam batteries, what would be the main difference or any differences that might make one or the other the wiser buy?

Basically the same as far as we know now. I have the neo. From pics it seems the blackvue has 3 leds on it to show various status, the neo doesn’t have them if I remember correctly. (Edit:the neo may have the lights, I honestly don’t remember as I installed mine in January the day I got it and it’s hidden in my center console tunnel so it is out of sight out of mind) I have mine hidden so it isn’t seen so that doesn’t matter to me, I just use the app for status.

Also, I think it shows the blackvue can have multiple expansion packs hooked up to it daisychained once they are available. I haven’t seen anything on the neo if it supports more than one expansion pack but honestly if the blackvue can accept more than one I’d have to think the neo will as well, they appear to be damn near identical.

But wait and see what others much more in the know on here have to say like BlackBoxMyCar or Vortex Radar. BBMC sells them so once they know for sure they will most definitely share the information.

Last edited:
Biggest difference is the brand, lol.
I think they're basically the same, if not exactly the same.
I lean towards BlackVue since they advertise you can get expansion batteries and stack power, which I don't need but it's nice to have the option.

ThinkWare has 2 sizes of their version of battery packs too, the iVOLT series but not sure if it's worth looking at over the two you're looking at currently.

I lean towards BlackVue since they advertise you can get expansion batteries and stack power, which I don't need but it's nice to have the option.

Just so the OP and others know, if they don’t already, the NEO does have the same expansion port like the blackvue unit. We just need to know if it’ll accept more than one expansion pack like we know the blackvue will. I’m guessing it will but time will tell, I’m sure BlackBoxMyCar will tell us in a short while.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they did work.
Though I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't, might affect Cellinks mobile app too if it's not coded to support them.

I got to say I'm disappointed that none of these newer battery packs coming seem to have any USB ports either, which to me, seems like a standard thing to include these days.

Sounds like a wash more or less. I'm actually going a whole other (unconventional) route and will probably use one of these only as a(n admittedly more convenient) Plan B. Still, thank you everybody for your thoughts.

Yeah they do seem to be virtually identical. I've tested the Neo previously and have the B-124 in my car now. Besides the potential expansion pack question, the B-124 shows a more steady recharge progress in the app. It also seems to give me recharge and discharge times in line with what Blackvue claims online. (It shows roughly 18 hours of parked record time on my DR900S-2CH, but I haven't yet been parked long enough without driving again to verify if this number is accurate.)

The Neo recharged faster according to the app (around 20 min instead of 45 min), but questions were raised as to whether or not the app is displaying accurate info. I also found that the Cellink app showed the recharging progress meter kind of weird. Instead of slowly and steadily climbing like the B-124, it would jump in 1-2% increments. I'm not sure how much is due to me using an AC to DC adapter while testing the Cellink indoors (I've used it for many other batteries and electronics for years without issue) while I have B-124 hardwired into my car's fuse box.

The Blackvue dashcam app also has a shortcut now that takes you into the Blackvue battery app. Not a big deal, but another difference I've noticed.

I got to say I'm disappointed that none of these newer battery packs coming seem to have any USB ports either, which to me, seems like a standard thing to include these days.

I thought that is weird too. I liked that feature on my B-112 and being able to charge my phone while sitting in my car with the engine off. That said, you can easily get something like this for a few bucks online and add the ports if needed.

411NteIvHlL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

@Vortex Radar Yeah, that's a nice and easy workaround.
Luckily I have two cigarette ports and a usb in my car, and a cellular portable battery...and a portable battery jump start (which has USB's)
Now that I think of it, I probably even have a car charger in my car that comes apart to be a portable charger..
But still, give us USB ports - it's 2018.

Both Cellink Neo and Blackvue B124 are made by Egen.

Back