Central Portugal is burning. Again! - #1

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H

Forget about my wishful thinking at the end of the video. It hasn't stopped and got even worse. :cry:
The air in the city is filled with smoke again, I'm in for another terrible night. :(

I'm going to have to number this video as #1 because unfortunately there will be more.

The Vila de Rei fire that reignited yesterday spreaded during the day to the neighbouring county of Mação and it's uncontrollable at the moment.

http://www.tvi24.iol.pt/sociedade/fogo/incendio-novamente-descontrolado-em-vila-de-rei (all the videos are in Portuguese but you don't need to know the language to understand what was going on). :(

Here's a video from Tomar TV of Thursday's fire in Aldeia do Mato:

Here's another one that also shows what a beautiful place Aldeia do Mato was.

That sure is a bad run of luck :( A HEPA or electronic filter for your home A/C will help a lot there but there's not a lot you can do for outside. Regular dust masks will help some if they're well-fitted, the true filtered masks work well but the cartridge types tend to clog quickly with the ash and particulate matter in wood smoke. Maybe one with washable filters and a few extra filters. Air ionizers can help but those make a layer of dust on everything in short order :oops:

Hoping for the best for you and Portugal,
Phil

We're in for another terrible 4 or 5 days, starting tomorrow. However, according to the most accurate publication I know of (they publish a booklet in January with the forecast for the whole year and they rarely fail), this will be the last heat wave of this year. I have no reason not to trust them. :cool:

This is the overall weather forecast for tomorrow:
Weather forecast Sunday 20th August 2017.jpg

These are the 2 active fires at the moment:
Fogos.pt - Gavião.jpg
Fogos.pt - Mação.jpg

The following screen grabs are of the forecast for the areas where the fires are still raging. The wind will be the key factor between keeping the fires under control, and eventually extinguish them, and the proverbial "all hell breaks loose":
Weather forecast Sunday 20th August 2017_Gavião.jpg
Weather forecast Sunday 20th August 2017_Mação.jpg

This is the weather forecast for my region:
Weather forecast Sunday 20th August 2017_Torres Novas.png

I wish we could exchange summers, i have far too much of this kind of summer.

Today have pretty much been the same :(

I wish we could exchange summers, (...)
Me too but I don't know if the Danes could handle this weather. After a few days they'd probably wish the rain was back. :D

I've had enough of sun and heat. Sometimes I just wanna kick the ****e out of those people who call "good weather" to 40+ºC and extremely high UV levels. :mad:

Back