CF-100 Video Quality - Any settings to improve?

bhamguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
B40/A118C/0805/CF-100/DrivePro 200/Dome D201
I purchased a couple of CF-100's for family vehicles and I find the video quality to be pretty weak. They are both running firmware 1.3 from the Blacksys site and have class 10 memory cards. I have tried playing around with the video quality options and frame rate with no improvement.

Here is a sample I took today: https://mega.nz/#!UQwUkKSB!VSpvxRkqEEtfrvLewBJzpxoyIII-bnKO-yMBS_5jCHU

Youtube Version:

Looking for any input as to settings you are using that are giving you good quality video.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I purchased a couple of CF-100's for family vehicles and I find the video quality to be pretty weak. They are both running firmware 1.3 from the Blacksys site and have class 10 memory cards. I have tried playing around with the video quality options and frame rate with no improvement.

Here is a sample I took today: https://mega.nz/#!UQwUkKSB!VSpvxRkqEEtfrvLewBJzpxoyIII-bnKO-yMBS_5jCHU

Youtube Version:

Looking for any input as to settings you are using that are giving you good quality video.

Thanks!
So, do you find anyway to improre the image quality ?

Mine seems to have been related to a focus issue. I took the camera apart and adjusted the focus and it improved. Word of warning, a little movement makes a big change so proceed carefully.

Mine seems to have been related to a focus issue. I took the camera apart and adjusted the focus and it improved. Word of warning, a little movement makes a big change so proceed carefully.
Can you comment some more on this please; how hard was it to get-at the lens focus, and HOW were you able to see what you were doing given the CF-100 does not have any display? Yes, your video looks abnormally blurry and I'd love to see a fresh recording of the same drive.

It seems to me that one serious problem with the CF-100 is that the manufacturer has never sold an AV-Output cable for it. Does anyone know where one can be obtained?

It seems to me that one serious problem with the CF-100 is that the manufacturer has never sold an AV-Output cable for it. Does anyone know where one can be obtained?
I've noticed that mine is blurry too. They give you the pinouts for that port (GPS+video) so it won't be hard to make one. Plus if you have the GPS antenna, the wire for video is already in there, you just need to tap into it. I may be tackling this in the near future. Plan to hook it up to the TV in the living room, then try to make it focus on something about 20ft away, which I can do since my house is open concept. Hardest part once I make the video cable, will just be hooking up my regulated 12v power supply close enough to the TV...

I've noticed that mine is blurry too. They give you the pinouts for that port (GPS+video) so it won't be hard to make one. Plus if you have the GPS antenna, the wire for video is already in there, you just need to tap into it. I may be tackling this in the near future. Plan to hook it up to the TV in the living room, then try to make it focus on something about 20ft away, which I can do since my house is open concept. Hardest part once I make the video cable, will just be hooking up my regulated 12v power supply close enough to the TV...
No offense Gibs, but that sounds approximately as easy as performing an appendectomy on yourself. Though maybe you're a surgeon...!

I know there's a discussion here somewhere of building a cable. I just wanna buy one fer cryan out loud. Though honestly, mine seems plenty sharp--I was originally concerned about aiming the thing before I found out aiming was so easy.

No offense Gibs, but that sounds approximately as easy as performing an appendectomy on yourself. Though maybe you're a surgeon...!

I know there's a discussion here somewhere of building a cable. I just wanna buy one fer cryan out loud. Though honestly, mine seems plenty sharp--I was originally concerned about aiming the thing before I found out aiming was so easy.
Eh, I'm a computer geek who likes to tinker. I've now rebuilt most of my quadcopter, which involved a fair bit of soldering. Plus I was a mechanic for Toyota for almost a decade, so I'm not afraid of taking anything apart... I've also repaired my gas grill, fridge and clothes dryer, among other things.

Not trying to brag, just explaining why it's not a big deal to me. :)

Maybe if I can find the parts, I can make you one while I make mine. Or maybe I'll get lucky and find that a standard 3.5mm 3-conductor to 2x RCA plug cable will work and then we don't have to make ANYTHING! Doubt it'll be that easy tho...

You'll need a 4 conductor cable and it likely won't match exactly, but it's not too hard to make an adapter. If you get one wired like mine was, the signal and ground wires will be reversed. The simple fix is to take the video out, cut it and reverse the wiring. I didn't want to cut my new nice cable, but had a Y adapter handy, so I cut that instead.

KuoH

Or maybe I'll get lucky and find that a standard 3.5mm 3-conductor to 2x RCA plug cable will work and then we don't have to make ANYTHING! Doubt it'll be that easy tho...

I have all the tools/knowhow and built Heathkits in the 1950s-60s but now I'm old/tired/retired and less interested in putzing with such stuff. But I do have the GPS module which (I guess) uses the same jack? I forget. Anyway, no need Gibson99 to build me a cable but if you find the magic recipe of plug/pinouts etc. and document it for us here that will no doubt inspire me. To me the biggest issue is getting the right plug--I don't want to damage the Jack on the CF-100 with the wrong plug size-or-shape.

It's a typical 3.5mm 4 conductor plug you can get from many online sources. I'd say Radio Shack too, but it's becoming harder and harder to find small stuff in stock at their stores anymore.

70_047__18896.1341148312.1280.1280.png

http://www.showmecables.com/product...campaign=945&gclid=CJKB9IfY18wCFQqKaQodzr8Gjw

KuoH

To me the biggest issue is getting the right plug--I don't want to damage the Jack on the CF-100 with the wrong plug size-or-shape.

Is there any way to play back CF100 with LCD in car ? I don't have one, but now I am research to buy one. Thanks

Good stuff. I posted in the other thread. Seems like Blacksys should have added an AV-out jack to the GPS module, potentially making for a cleaner installation than a dual-cable out from the AV/GPS jack, or dual jacks at the CF-100.

"I have tried playing around with the video quality options and frame rate with no improvement."

Ok, so what's the best settings for the quality?
Frame setting: 15, 25, 35? Mine is on 35fps.
Resolution: HD, Full HD? Mine is on Full HD.
Camera setting: Dark, Normal, Bright? Mine is on Normal.
Quality: Normal, Fine, Super Fine/ Mine is on Super Fine.

Back